Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

is it possible that my wetsuit has too much buoyancy in the legs and is slowing me down?
Quote | Reply
I recently demoed a couple of triathlon wetsuits from Brand #1 and was surprised to discover that I was able to swim faster in open water with a triathlon-specific wetsuit than I can swim in the pool. In the past, swimming in a 3/2 surfing wetsuit, in a 1.5mm heater top, or bare-chested, I've always been much slower in open water than in the pool. However, I had trouble finding a suit from Brand #1 that really fit me well. Plus they are currently out of stock in the sizes that would fit me the closest.

So I decided to buy a suit from Brand #2. There was no way to demo their suits, but they have a return policy that allows for returns after doing a swim test. When I started a swim in Brand #2's suit, I was immediately struck by how high it felt like my legs were in the water. My perception was that it felt like my feet were coming out of the water with every kick, and it seemed like I could be losing some propulsion as a result of my feet waving in the air instead of pushing through the water. Nevertheless, I was very motivated to swim fast and confirm my bias that Brand #2's suit was the correct choice and save myself the trouble of returning it. Plus, returning Brand #2's suit isn't going to make Brand #1's suits come back into stock in time for my next race anyway.

In the end, my time for a 1.2 mile swim was 2.5 minutes slower than the faster of my two times in Brand #1's suits and over 1 minute slower than the slower time which was in a very ill-fitting suit. This was despite the fact that my Heart Rate Monitor confirms that I was pushing much harder in Brand #2's suit in my desire to prove it was the one. A gap of 2.5 minutes seems very large to me, and I'm having difficulty convincing myself that it can be accounted for by factors like warmer weather or fatigue or having a bad day.

I'm well aware that I don't have enough data points to really have a convincing scientific proof here, but there isn't any inexpensive way to gather a lot of data points or do apples-to-apples comparisons for wetsuits. And my OWS opportunities are very limited as well. So that's why I'm posting here to see if anyone else's experience or knowledge can confirm or contradict my own experience.

Is it possible for a wetsuit to have too much buoyancy in the legs, slowing you down by reducing the propulsion from the kick because the feet are coming too far out of the water?
Quote Reply
Re: is it possible that my wetsuit has too much buoyancy in the legs and is slowing me down? [glaukopes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Even if the suit is super buoyant, you should be getting kick related propulsion and counterforce to your arms from your enter quad and your shin even if your feet come out of the water. Generally more rubber and float = faster. if you don't believe that, watch a lifeguard on a paddle board, flat on their stomach, not using there legs at all and just using their arms and whipping by you. If you can use a 10mm or 15 mm wetsuit it would be faster than 5mm (RIP Water rover, I never got to try you) as a 15mm wetsuit and all the flotation would feel like a paddle board.
Quote Reply
Re: is it possible that my wetsuit has too much buoyancy in the legs and is slowing me down? [glaukopes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it’s *possible* the suit slowed you down, but an erratic, wide kick will slow you down way more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mirrors my first experience in the Huub 3:5 suit, which I am going to presume is suit 2.

This was because I wasn’t used to the position was trying to live my head and arch my back to compensate.
When I got used to it that suit got much faster.

Same like changing bike position,
Give it a little time
Quote Reply
Re: is it possible that my wetsuit has too much buoyancy in the legs and is slowing me down? [TriByran] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You need to adapt your stroke to the new buoyancy balance.
A slight change in your timing should be all you need to work the new suit.
Quote Reply
Re: is it possible that my wetsuit has too much buoyancy in the legs and is slowing me down? [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lyrrad wrote:
A slight change in your timing should be all you need to work the new suit.

Agree. Work with the suit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.feelforthewater.com/2013/04/how-to-choose-wetsuit-to-suit-your.html

Yes.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: is it possible that my wetsuit has too much buoyancy in the legs and is slowing me down? [TriByran] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lyrrad wrote:

I really don't think I'm interested in doing that. I do 99% of my swimming and training in the pool, and as I said my OWS opportunities are very limited. I don't really even have the option of doing more than the occasional OWS, and ultimately I don't think it's a good idea to work on learning a separate stroke style for the wetsuit from what I use in the pool or even in OW when it's too warm for wetsuit. I'm probably better off getting good at one way of swimming and would be better off with a suit that doesn't require a separate style from how I swim in the pool.

TriByran wrote:
Mirrors my first experience in the Huub 3:5 suit, which I am going to presume is suit 2.

Roka Maverick Comp II. It appears that the entire lower two-thirds of the suit is made out of 5mm, the arms and shoulders out of 1.5mm or 2mm, and the ribs/chest/back out of various in-between panels. I really like how the thin shoulders and arms make for great arm mobility, but the buoyancy profile of the whole suit seems very imbalanced.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First of all you are comparing OW swim times? Right there you are on super shaky ground and have no real evidence in which to make your assumptions. And how fast a swimmer are you? (pool 1000SCY?) That is very important to people deciding to do their own tests, if you are FOP then you have a better feel for what times you are doing, BOP or MOP less so.

You can mimic wetsuit swimming in the pool by using a pull buoy, or some of those floatie pants they sell now. I just tried a pair of ROKA Sim shorts, and they were 2 seconds a 100 faster and significantly raised my back end. As others have said, you need to figure out a stroke you are going to use on race day if you insist on not swimming OW before then. It is too hot to wear your wetsuit in the pool, so buoy and pants are the next best thing.

What happens when you float that high and why it is such an advantage is that your body is in a very streamlined position, and out of the water. A tighter pull towards the surface and close to the body works well, a lot of people pull too deep when they sit deep in the water..

Anyway if you want to really test the suits, use the pool on shorter swims so you dont overheat. Do not compare OW race times, or even training ones as there are just too may variables to get good data. Unless you are a 1;00 low 100 swimmer, then disregard everything I said...(-;
Quote Reply