Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cervélo P2 broken rear derailleur
Quote | Reply
On the way back from an out and back ride this morning and came up on a piece of galvanized wire. Long story short, it got tangled up in my back wheel and snapped my rear derailleur.

Any hope for this bike being salvageable? It’s part of the frame. I’m sitting on the side of the road waiting for a ride so I can’t post any pics just yet.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervélo P2 broken rear derailleur [Parkland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the rear derailleur is easily replaceable. sounds like you mean the hanger? if that's the case, you'll want to contact a carbon repair business.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervélo P2 broken rear derailleur [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Correct. It’s the hanger. Not sure why it’s part of the frame?

I looked around and prices for carbon repair seem to be $500+ for this type of thing.

Not sure if it’s worth it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's probably repairable. Check with your dealer. I had the same thing happen to a Trek road bike a few years back, and Trek covered the repair under warranty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the force required to break the hanger when it's part of the frame - like on all cervelo tri bikes - is pretty huge. cervelo's stance has always been that they make the FRAME significantly stronger by using a non replaceable hanger.

most of the time things/issues that break hangers are avoidable. i've bent a cervelo hanger one time, and broken plenty of replaceable ones. it's a shitty thing about bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I understand they may think that. In this case it was simply a small piece of wire that caused the break. Seems subpar to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a cheap and easy fix, but it might result in some compromises.

Get a Universal Derailleur Hanger from Problem Solvers. It screws on to the quick release skewer. Screw on your rear derailleur to this, voilĂ .

The RD might end up being slightly more outboard than on the original hanger so your biggest sprocket may no longer be accessible, your drivetrain may end up being 2x9 instead of 2x10.

However, if the other options are a $500+ repair and/or scrapping the frame, it's got to be worth a go.

-------------------------------
´Get the most aero and light bike you can get. With the aero advantage you can be saving minutes and with the weight advantage you can be saving seconds. In a race against the clock both matter.´

BMANX
Quote Reply
Re: Cervélo P2 broken rear derailleur [Barchettaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Barchettaman wrote:
There is a cheap and easy fix, but it might result in some compromises.

Get a Universal Derailleur Hanger from Problem Solvers. It screws on to the quick release skewer. Screw on your rear derailleur to this, voilĂ .

The RD might end up being slightly more outboard than on the original hanger so your biggest sprocket may no longer be accessible, your drivetrain may end up being 2x9 instead of 2x10.

However, if the other options are a $500+ repair and/or scrapping the frame, it's got to be worth a go.

Funny you mentioned this. I just found someone suggesting this on another forum. Do you have any experience with the product?

I live in a fairly flat area so losing a gear or two is not of huge concern to me.

Thanks again!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have one in my toolbag but have (fortunately) never had to use it yet!

´Get the most aero and light bike you can get. With the aero advantage you can be saving minutes and with the weight advantage you can be saving seconds. In a race against the clock both matter.´

BMANX
Quote Reply
Re: Cervélo P2 broken rear derailleur [Barchettaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gotcha. Would I need a longer skewer or should it work with the standard rear skewer?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty sure you'll need a 135mm mountain bike skewer.

BMANX
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=5071372;page=1;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;
Quote Reply
Re: Cervélo P2 broken rear derailleur [pritchet74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pritchet74 wrote:
https://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=5071372;page=1;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

Stumbled on this thread this morning. I actually sent Jaret a private message to see if had access to fabricating another one. No response. I think I’ll try out the prefabricated one and go from there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So wait -- the hanger on their road bikes is replaceable, but not on the tri bikes? That sucks.
https://www.cervelo.com/en/gear/parts/rear-derailleur-hanger

Quote Reply
Re: Cervélo P2 broken rear derailleur [surroundhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The newer model P2 may have replaceable hangers, I'm not sure. I know they updated the frame in 2014.

I contacted a carbon fiber repair company this afternoon and they stated that they have had many P2s come in with the same issue. The quote was $450 to repair the derailleur hanger. I am going to try using the universal hanger and see how it holds up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On a NP3 the RD hanger is integrated. If it goes and Cervelo does not warranty it, I'd use that universal hanger option and make it a trainer bike.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
the force required to break the hanger when it's part of the frame - like on all cervelo tri bikes - is pretty huge. cervelo's stance has always been that they make the FRAME significantly stronger by using a non replaceable hanger.

most of the time things/issues that break hangers are avoidable. i've bent a cervelo hanger one time, and broken plenty of replaceable ones. it's a shitty thing about bikes.

That is their stance, but it's complete and utter bs. I know of a few bikes who have had that happen, and my old NP3 had some stress fractures in the hanger. This being the only bike I've owned that I HAVEN'T crashed, and it was the one cracking. Cervelo didn't want to know about it. It's a tri bike, it's marketed and sold as such, and it should be able to handle being transported carefully and racking in a transition area. Not acceptable.

After buying 3 Cervelos in 2 years, suffice to say it didn't get replaced with another one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Parkland wrote:
Correct. It’s the hanger. Not sure why it’s part of the frame?

I looked around and prices for carbon repair seem to be $500+ for this type of thing.

Not sure if it’s worth it.

I'm no expert, but...

if you broke your derailleur hanger; and the hanger's part of the frame - you've broken part of the frame, right? You sure the rest of the frame is still ok to ride on?
Quote Reply