Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Isle of Man TT
Quote | Reply
Dan Kneen died on Wednesday while qualifying for the TT. Another rider, Steve Mercer, is in critical condition after colliding with a course car.

I first heard of this race on slowtwitch. The guys who compete in this race are beyond brave...
Last edited by: Amstel: May 31, 18 12:35
Quote Reply
Re: Isle of Man TT [Amstel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
beyond brave = dumb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is zero scope for error and you must pray for no mechanicals
Quote Reply
Re: Isle of Man TT [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not at all
Quote Reply
Re: Isle of Man TT [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Matter of opinion. I'm all for taking calculated risks, and if I lose a limb in a freak accident I'll move on happily with life, knowing I'm living it to the full. And those racers are doing the same. Just, I think in the case of the IoM TT, the risks far outweigh the reward. I understand while they do it. But I think it's a poor choice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree

I could never do it. More so if my father and uncle had died doing it, but the reward is apparently enough for them
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you ever ridden the course? I had a mate in Blackpool and we went one year. He had a spare bike for me. On top of the mountain we neared 100mph and it’s wide open but windy. Scary as hell (granted I was on a sport/tour bike) it’s mid boggling that they average over 130mph.

You could tell who was fast long before seeing them, no let off on the throttle, just slamming through the gears. If they hesitated they were slow.
Quote Reply
Re: Isle of Man TT [CW in NH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never. There are stories of riders doing the course at night. There's a video somewhere of chalky white driving and narrating a lap.

They are thinking multiple corners in advance given the speed they are going at. It's amazing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amstel wrote:
Dan Kneen died on Wednesday while qualifying for the TT. Another rider, Steve Mercer, is in critical condition after colliding with a course car.

I first heard of this race on slowtwitch. The guys who compete in this race are beyond brave...

Really is incredible shit. Motorcycle racers, in general, and TT in particular, seem willing to accept levels of risk that make us wet our pants. Those are hard guys.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amstel wrote:

In the past I raced automobiles and go-carts. I've always thought people that race motorcycles are totally crazy. If you really want a good insight to the TT and the world of motorcycle racing check out the movie "Road". Its the story of the late Joey Dunlop who died racing but was one of the greatest TT riders ever. Its available on netflix.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Isle of Man TT [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Closer to the Edge"is a good documentary about the Isle of Man TT.
Quote Reply
Re: Isle of Man TT [chuckhead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He is the one person I wish would get a win at the TT
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good lord. Quite a story.
Quote Reply
Re: Isle of Man TT [dave_voyageur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another died yesterday. 2 years of travelling to the IOM every weekend to learn the course

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/...o-it-right-q3pqfk0px

Unlike the Frenchman who lasted one minute............
Quote Reply