• 20g CO2 cartridge
  • Tube
  • 2 levers
  • Multitool

Thats all I can fit
Quote Reply
Re: Flat Kit [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same as you minus the patch kit. I’ll do that at home if I think the tube is worth saving.

Well, I’d bring an inflator head for the CO2. :)
Last edited by: stomponafrog: May 30, 18 18:26
Quote Reply
Re: Flat Kit [stomponafrog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, I have that in there too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2 Tubes
2 CO2 Cartridges
2 CO2 Inflators
2 Emergency Boots
1 Tire Lever
1 Rag

That’s all I can fit in the Speed Concept neoprene bag inside the draft box.
Last edited by: Skyline Chili: May 30, 18 19:53
Quote Reply
Re: Flat Kit [Skyline Chili] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's the consensus on a saddle bag vs. jersey pockets?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Silca Eolo wallet, and have 2 tubes, set of allen wrenches, & tire lever in it (plus my ID & credit card). Next to it in my back pocket I have the silca bluetooth pump.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tube
2 levers
co2 and head
tiny multitool

goes in a little canister either behind the seat (tri bike) or seat tube bottle cage on roadie.

don't think i've ever needed anything else. even the multitool is overkill.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Flat Kit [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tube
2 levers
2 co2 w/head
patch kit
allen keys
cash

I've got a Speedfil rear hydration 2 bottle set up. I can hold the 2 levers & 2 co2 cartridges in the spot for them on the Speedfil.
Made a small hard case pouch for everything else. Bolts onto the rear of the Speedfil setup between the 2 water bottles.
Couldn't find a good way to carry everything. Had bought a small hard case for my Apple airpods. Case fit on the back of the speedfil perfectly. Put a small strip of carbon I had in the case to give it some support when I snugged up the bolts and drilled 2 holes in it to match up with the threaded holes in the speedfil mount. Works perfectly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Apparently, I'm very old school:

tube
patch kit and spare glue tube
tire iron
spoke wrench
saline bottle (for contact lens)
tire boot (aka dollar bill)

"wallet" and phone in a ziplock bag in my pocket.

Frame pump.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two tubes bundled with a little electrical tape, tire lever, mini pump in jersey pocket.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2 CO2
2 Tire Levers
1 Tube with valve extender installed
1 Dynaplug Micro Pro (Since I run Tubeless on my race wheels)
1 Piece of bubble wrap to keep things quiet
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2 tubes
2 CO2 with inflator head
1 lever
multi tool
I also used to carry those thick clear stickers that are meant for your head tube to prevent the cables rubbing off the paint. Would use that as a tire boot if necessary, but I ran out of them.

Keys, phone, credit card go in the jersey pocket.
Quote Reply
Re: Flat Kit [RCCo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why spend a bunch of money on a bike to have a bunch of crap hanging off of it? Tighten that flat kit up and put in your jersey unless your bike has integrated storage. I would carry the minimum necessary to fix one flat. Multiple tubes, co'2s etc are overkill. I have gotten more than one flat on the same ride maybe once in twenty years. Get Uber on your phone for emergencies or better yet ride with friends who have tubes.
Quote Reply
Re: Flat Kit [70Miles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
70Miles wrote:
Why spend a bunch of money on a bike to have a bunch of crap hanging off of it? Tighten that flat kit up and put in your jersey unless your bike has integrated storage. I would carry the minimum necessary to fix one flat. Multiple tubes, co'2s etc are overkill. I have gotten more than one flat on the same ride maybe once in twenty years. Get Uber on your phone for emergencies or better yet ride with friends who have tubes.

I tried using only jersey pockets and went back to a saddle bag.

Main reason were...
  • I hated having to constantly stuff and unstuff my pockets every single ride with a flat kit that I almost never use.
  • Sometimes I would also forget to pack my flat kit it in a rush...which defeats the whole purpose of having a flat kit.
  • I didn't like limiting the space in my jersey pockets for the things that I did need access to on every ride like my keys, phone, credit card, food, and storage space for empty food wrappers.
  • Most of the jerseys I wear are on the thinner side as I ride in a warm/hot climate and stuffing the pockets too much results in shorter life span of the jersey, which are typically more expensive than the thicker more durable stuff to begin with.
  • Even if I was wearing a more durable jersey with large pockets, I didn't like the feel of having a lot of stuff in there. I have an Iphone 6+ with a case on it, which weighs down the pockets enough as it is.

If I had a smaller phone, never needed to carry much food, my pockets were durable, and I wasn't so forgetful...I would probably ditch the saddle bag. It's just not the case for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Couple of things I haven't noticed mentioned yet :

Latex gloves - keep hands clean and stop rattles in your kit.

Quick link and mini chain tool (Planet X do a tiny one).

Individual Allen keys rather than a multi tool - easier to use and much less chance of messing a torque up.

WD :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two tubes, 3 CO2, tire lever. Depending on when I last used it Allen key jackknife thing.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: Flat Kit [WD Pro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Individual Allen keys rather than a multi tool - easier to use and much less chance of messing a torque up.
yeah - I do that too (3 allen key sizes that are on my bike) - why take the entire multi tool

am I the only one that brings a little bit of TP just incase???? I've only needed it once - some of my rides are a little bit out in the sticks....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A patch and also something you could put inside a tire if you had a nasty tear to keep the tube in. Could be a piece of old tube you cut into a 1" square and left in there.
Quote Reply
Re: Flat Kit [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've always wondered about why you'd take a chain tool. Surely a broken chain is one of those 1 in every 10000 rides problems for which even my wife would do a roadside rescue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just last week I was REAL glad that I had a $20 in a small plastic baggie in my kit. I don't know what I hit, but I blew out the entire sidewall of my rear tire. The $20 in the baggie was just enough to keep the new tube in the tire and get me about 8 miles home. Would have been a miserable walk otherwise!
Quote Reply