Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Does longer & lower = less stable?
Quote | Reply
I made some positional changes to my bike this winter in hopes of getting the front end a little lower and more aerodynamic (dropped my seat about a cm and pushed the pads/extensions forward about 2.25 cm). It felt fine on the trainer, but on my first outdoor ride of the season, during a routine look back over my shoulder for cars, I completely lost control of the bike and crashed pretty hard. I had been out for about an hour and had noticed that the handling felt a little twitchier than usual, but it also felt fast.

I've been nervous to get back on my TT bike and I'm wondering if the changes I made resulted in a significant change in handling. I'm not sure if there's a right answer here, but is it a given that getting more of your weight out over the front of the bike results in twitchier handling? Do I just need to suck it up and ride more with the new position, or am I chasing marginal gains at the expense of handling/safety?

For reference, HERE is a link to the videos I posted back in February that show my previous and current positions. Thanks for any thoughts/insight.
Quote Reply
Re: Does longer & lower = less stable? [Dgconner154] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's more likely that you were just rusty from riding inside all winter.

Also, I'm pretty comfy in the aero bars but definitely don't look over my shoulder while in them. Look under your arm if you need a quick look back. If you really need to look back get up on the bullhorns.
Quote Reply
Re: Does longer & lower = less stable? [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:

Thanks. I thought of that too. I'm probably overthinking it.

Sean H wrote:
Also, I'm pretty comfy in the aero bars but definitely don't look over my shoulder while in them. Look under your arm if you need a quick look back. If you really need to look back get up on the bullhorns.

Good tip, thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Does longer & lower = less stable? [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This, I’m always super rusty after winter. Takes me a few outdoor rides to get it back.

Sean H wrote:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[quote] but is it a given that getting more of your weight out over the front of the bike results in twitchier handling? Do I just need to suck it up and ride more with the new position, or am I chasing marginal gains at the expense of handling/safety? [/quote]

unless you were already extremely stretched out 2.25cm isn't a big deal going out front

most triathletes are pretty shaky on their TT bikes to begin with even after a summer of riding them. You knocked off the rust the hard way. It's probably no less safe than you were. If you have a road bike that's the safer way to get the rust knocked off. More triathletes should buy a road bike first then a TT bike but I digress.

N=1: I went out 10cm and didn't notice any decrease in stability on my TT bike. I just can't see as far up the road as before moving that far forward

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Does longer & lower = less stable? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
Quote:
but is it a given that getting more of your weight out over the front of the bike results in twitchier handling? Do I just need to suck it up and ride more with the new position, or am I chasing marginal gains at the expense of handling/safety?

unless you were already extremely stretched out 2.25cm isn't a big deal going out front

most triathletes are pretty shaky on their TT bikes to begin with even after a summer of riding them. You knocked off the rust the hard way. It's probably no less safe than you were. If you have a road bike that's the safer way to get the rust knocked off. More triathletes should buy a road bike first then a TT bike but I digress.

N=1: I went out 10cm and didn't notice any decrease in stability on my TT bike. I just can't see as far up the road as before moving that far forward

Thanks for the reply. I do have a road bike and *thought* I knocked off the rust sufficiently. I guess there's no substitute for time in the saddle, especially with TT bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not saying that this is your issue, but I noticed myself I got more "twitchy"-steering when I went longer & lower when I was on too small frames. However, it sounds like you crashed as a result of you're epic lookback for cars.. Which you definetely shouldn't do in aerobars :) Hope you're good!
Last edited by: hhetland: May 30, 18 23:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Dgconner, sorry about your accident! Several factors are fighting against us when riding a TT or Tri position notably less leverage on the bars, less visibility, less time to react and more weight over front wheel. All these mean you have to work on TT bike handling pre-season. However centre of mass is slightly lower which should be more stable but we found only a small effect probably because centre of mass is not causing a "toppling off" sensation; its more a twitchy front that people describe. Given that weight over front wheel can feel significant and we added this to our spreadsheet on stem drop/slam watt saving calculator (https://goo.gl/ajVPbP) after weighing bike and rider in upright and TT position on two sets of scales (crude but effective!) to get front-rear balance of typical set-ups. regards alex
Quote Reply