Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The Challenge Championship - Sunday June 3rd (Starts 2am CDT) [CementBottle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CementBottle wrote:
NUFCrichard wrote:
I thought Sanders might get out of the water ahead of Kienle, it seems like a nightmare swim for him to lose 1:45 to Kienle over 1.9km.

He swam with Kienle in Kona didn't he?

Lionel lead the chase pack.in Kona last year and Sebi was on his heals Lionel's swim HAS improved this race not sure what happened he had a bad swim

I think his pool and wetsuit swimming have improved. I have yet to see him show improvement in his time gaps in non-wetsuit swims as that is the swim that matters for Kona.

He's making strides every race, but he still has a ways to go. Though if he does get that ocean swim faster, then he can really battle it out with Frodeno.
Quote Reply
Re: The Challenge Championship - Sunday June 3rd (Starts 2am CDT) [IntenseOne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IntenseOne wrote:
monty wrote:
It's quite mystifying yet impressive how he can have such bad form yet perform so well. //

How about Chrissy Wellington, and non Tri, with the fastest all time women’s marathon, Paula Radcliffe?

Couldn't let this one slip by. You think Paul Radcliffe has "such bad form"? Stop looking at hear wobbly head and tense shoulders for a minute, and look properly. Her upper body remains upright, she doesn't collapse her torso at all, just the right amount of rotation and her knee lift and toe-off are perfect.

The wobbly head is a distraction - she has exceptional form where it counts. You don't run 2:15 with bad form, I don't think!

Quote Reply
Re: The Challenge Championship - Sunday June 3rd (Starts 2am CDT) [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knighty76 wrote:
IntenseOne wrote:
monty wrote:
It's quite mystifying yet impressive how he can have such bad form yet perform so well. //

How about Chrissy Wellington, and non Tri, with the fastest all time women’s marathon, Paula Radcliffe?

Couldn't let this one slip by. You think Paul Radcliffe has "such bad form"? Stop looking at hear wobbly head and tense shoulders for a minute, and look properly. Her upper body remains upright, she doesn't collapse her torso at all, just the right amount of rotation and her knee lift and toe-off are perfect.

The wobbly head is a distraction - she has exceptional form where it counts. You don't run 2:15 with bad form, I don't think!

So, you are saying a “wobbly head and tense shoulders” is good running form?
Quote Reply
Re: The Challenge Championship - Sunday June 3rd (Starts 2am CDT) [CementBottle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lionel lead the chase pack.in Kona last year and Sebi was on his heals Lionel's swim HAS improved this race not sure what happened he had a bad swim

Leading the chase pack is not a sign of improvement, it is a sign that you are unaware of whats going on in the water. You think anyone in that group couldn't have just gone to the front and pulled it too?? It is like a bike race where the guy pulling at the front of the peloton, looks over at his mom and says"Look mom, I'm winning!!"

He has improved his swim, but in races where it gets more stretched out with less guys to fill in gaps, he is going to still have trouble. If the pace were slower at the front, it allows him to hang in the better groups, where he can then go to the front and pull them..(-;
Quote Reply
Re: The Challenge Championship - Sunday June 3rd (Starts 2am CDT) [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd only respond though that at some point when everyone is holding hands looking at each other to do the work....someone has to take over. I mean when your a chase pack swim athlete you don't get to sit back and tell others to pull you to the front, at some point, you have to take ownership to make sure said gap is manageable. I think that's the important step that LS is at. He's confident enough in the water that isn't afraid to "be the man". And I would trade off the "work" he does with the confidence it's given him....I'd say it's a push, if you are saying he's wasting energy by leading the chase group.

ETA: At some point you either shut up and close the gap or you look around always expecting the next guy to do the work. Now because of LS and Sebi's bike strength, the other chase guys are going to look/expect them to pull the group. So at some point, you just have to suck it up and take it or risk losing even more time. So no I'm not going to say he's racing poorly or noob for taking the lead in the chase group....you don't get to pick and choose your battles when you are in that position.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Jun 5, 18 10:10
Quote Reply

Prev Next