Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Can I drill a hole into an aero chainring?
Quote | Reply
Hi,
I am considering getting a bigger large chainring on my tribike (the reason being an upcoming race with long stretches of downhill).
While I'm at it, I'd like it to be an aero one (mainly for the badass looks, I don't have the illusion of any significant gains)

The issue just is that I need side access to a bolt on my TriRig brakes under the BB to adjust them for different rim widths. This is already a pita with my current RED Chainring, but it has enogh cut-outs so that I can just barely fit a hex-key through one of them.

With a solid aero ring, (not wanting to remove the crank for brake adjustments) I would need to drill a little hole into it to align with said bolt.
Is that something one can safely do?

thanks,
Flo

if you can read this
YOU'RE DRAFTING!
Quote Reply
Re: Can I drill a hole into an aero chainring? [flogazo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just had a similar problem with a TRP TTV brake mounted under the BB. I solved it by shortening the short part of an L shaped allen key. You need to sacrifice an allen key, but that might work also in your case?
Quote Reply
Re: Can I drill a hole into an aero chainring? [flogazo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes I fin a drill is quite effective for the task... Haha they should be no reason as it would only be small enough for an allen key. Have a look at other rings and how much less material there is so a small hole is not going to compromise your ring.
Quote Reply