Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tips for using TriBike Transport?
Quote | Reply
The wife qualified for this year’s Age Group Nationals, and, after evaluating the various shipping options, we’ve decided to use TriBike Transport to get the bike between Cleveland and Houston. This will be our first time ever shipping / traveling with a bike. I understand the logistics for how to drop off and pick up the bike, but I was hoping folks could share any other tips they’ve learned to make the TriBike experience smoother.

I’m going to remove anything with a battery from the bike so that they don’t die, like her P1 power pedals (going to remove the batteries) and Di2 battery. We’ll pay the extra fee for the gear bag to transport her pedals, shoes, and helmet.

Any reason to wrap the frame to protect it from damage? Any other tips for using TBT? Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: Tips for using TriBike Transport? [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
-You need to take the pedals off (but still remove the batteries) and carry them yourself. Don't forget them ;-)

-Don't send any contact point in a gear bag, meaning pedals and shoes. They sent my bag to Florida and not New Orleans one year. Although they overnighted and it got to me, if they hadn't I would have had to find replacements for those. I could have bought a helmet. In fact, don't send a bag unless absolutely necessary. Tri stuff weighs nothing.

-You will probably hear horror stories but I have used them 7 or 8 times with no issues and no damage to the frame.

-Bring your own pedal wrench so you can install and uninstall the pedals without having to wait in line for others that didn't
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also would not give them a gear bag, but I definitely recommend the valet service for them to pick up your bike and T1/T2 bags after the race. Not sure if that's offered for Age-group nationals, but it's a big help at a long course tri.

Definitely bring your own tools to remove pedals and re-adjust your bike. They'll likely be transported in a van/truck and could bump other bikes causing some mis-alignment. You'll also need to remove any hydration set up, so bring whatever you need to do that.

I'm a big fan of tri-bike transport and would use them for any race I don't want to drive to. Best of luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve used them several tones without issue but after traveling with my bike for a non-TBT event in 2013 and realizing how easy it was and better, I haven’t used them since.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used them 7 times (4 times to IM Canada) and never had an issue. Even got a free transport after using them 5 times.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used them 7 times and had minor damage 3 times. I picked up Bopworx protective soft rubber covers and wrapped each part of the bike in them. Forks, top tube, down tube, seat tube etc.

https://www.amazon.com/..._api_i_UyFdBbQKDBDF8
Quote Reply
Re: Tips for using TriBike Transport? [Skyline Chili] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good thought, although I may go the cheap route and use pipe insulation and velcro.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
UPDATE: My wife’s bike made it to and from Cleveland for AG Nationals, and the TriBike experience was fantastic. We dropped the bike off around a week before the event at a local bike shop. TriBike’s dropoff / pickup area was at the event site, a very short walk to transition. Dropped it off after event, and the TriBike guys installed / removed the pedals for us as well as having bike pumps available.

No damage to the bike at all, to or from. I did wrap the frame with pipe insulation. I’d definitely use them again. No worries about disassembly, logistics of getting the bike to and from the event site, etc. I thought the price was very reasonable also.
Quote Reply