Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Post deleted by windschatten
Re: Bike Skilz? [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IMO, as an triathlete, a set of simple rollers will get you nearly all the technical balance-related skills you need. If you can grab bottles from the frame or look over your shoulder while on simple rollers, you have better bike balance than 95% of triathletes.

And yes, it does make a difference, to be able to make those small but fast adjustments to stay upright which rollers really emphasize.

In terms of downhills and 'group' riding in tri, unless you're really shooting to be THE uberbiker that day, you can play it safe and not take risks and still hammer the bike split. You wouldn't be able to get away with this within 2 laps of a bike crit, but triathlon is a totally different animal.

I do agree that the vast majority of AG riders are absolutely hazardous when reaching for bottles and especially at water bottle handoffs, and that slower riders consistently underestimate how fast the good riders will approach from behind, and thus clog the left lane unnecessarily.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't classify myself as a tri-geek but when I was a roadie we'd practice trackstands, contact and all that stuff in the spring (and on grass).

If you're ever truly curious about improving your skilz, give this a shot ( more mtb and flat pedal focused). I've been following his programs in the offseason and think it's a great way to progress a specific skill. Haven't looked since December (focusing on this season) but the only real gap was a clear outline of progression - meaning there's a ton of content to sift through but where do you start and what do you learn after your first course.

edit - just in case the linky no worky - https://www.ryanleech.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you asking if American public schools are teaching kids how to do track stands as part of the curriculum? I’m gonna go out on a limb and say no.

Now I need to see how long I can track stand...

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have practiced with my kids. I've had them ride the white solid line while turning their heads and looking over their shoulders. I also hassle them while they are riding: touching their arms and bodies, leaning into them. I've showed them how to ride corners with the inner pedal high. I drill them on rider responsibility, such as keeping right except to pass, calling out "car back" and "on your left." We discuss what happens if your front wheel touches someone else's back wheel. We haven't done track stands-- that might be fun. I love riding with my kids. I just wish we were near more bike paths. My oldest says he wants a road bike now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My tri club specifically practices these kinds of things. We do some draft legal racing, but even for those that don't, we have a day every once in a while to practice skills. The club is Balanced Art Multisport in Salt Lake City.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
So we know on this forum everybody can ride his bicycle like Martyn Ashton, Danny MacAskill and Chris Akrigg, but in real life?
In real life it seems to me that most triathletes or somewhat strong recreational cyclists can't do a 10 sec track stand or ride a one handed slow turn.

Lack of slow speed basic skills last weekend again resulted in an injury on a fairly swift group ride I was on...

Same in Triathlons. Even at the pointy end of the field there are people who can't take a drink safely or look over their shoulders without swerving all over the road.

As these are skills that have real life significance (stop signs, lights, signaling turns in traffic), I was wondering if anybody actually practices these things?

I talked to several Tri- and Bike-Clubs, and pretty much everybody ridiculed me for suggesting dedicating some time on group rides for that.

In my affluent community, I also do not see any programs in pre-schools that address basic bike handling skills past the once a year half-hearted attempt to get kids to follow the rules of the road.
I know many parents who let their kids ride in traffic without slow speed skills, and have witnessed some tip-overs that could have ended terribly.
Do you practice with your kids?

I will at least practice grabbing a bottle and maintaining pace and direction as well as looking over my shoulder. I’m not much into group riding and make it known to others if I do join a group.

Maybe your affluent community can pony up a little extra salary for their teachers to teach trackstands and basic bike skills. Or maybe parents can do that
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I lead a half dozen bike skills clinics every year. A few of them are for the LA Tri Club and while all levels are invited (and would benefit) typically only newbies show up. I do one for the USAT South West Junior Elite Development Camp at UCSB and man do we have a great time with it.

Also, Slowtwitch Coaching does a Bike Skills clinic for coaches and it's been a joy. The coach's leave ready to deliver on what to teach and how to teach it.

I'm a huge proponent of bike skills for two reasons: skilled athletes are safer, skilled athletes are faster.

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is an article I wrote about certain skills, from a bike racing perspective:

https://medium.com/@johntomlinson/staying-up-607a3bf88de4

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:

In my affluent community, I also do not see any programs in pre-schools that address basic bike handling skills past the once a year half-hearted attempt to get kids to follow the rules of the road.

You think schools should teach kids to track stand and ride around one-handed?

That's intriguing. I urge you to spend some time in an urban elementary school some day. It may not be quite what you're visualizing.
Quote Reply