Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

PSA: Oakley ARO5 ARO7 production issues - fails to deliver Kona fastest bike split awards
Quote | Reply
Oakley fails big time here:

In 2017, Oakley was the 'Official Bike Helmet of the 2017 IRONMAN World Championship' awarding an ARO5 and an ARO7 helmet to the age group athletes with the fastest bike split.
This and the winners of the award is listed here: http://eu.ironman.com/...test-bike-split.aspx

So far so good, in November 2017, I got this mail:
"The IRONMAN `Ohana and the official eyeglass partner of the 2017 IRONMAN World Championship; Oakley congratulates you for your amazing performance on October 14, 2017 at the IRONMAN World Championship! What you achieved in Kona is incredible. With your fastest bike split time in your age group you will be receiving Oakley Aro7 TT Helmet featuring a Prizm Road shield and an Aro5 aero road helmet by March of 2018."

On March 27th 2018, there is some follow up:

"We have exciting news! We are following up on our message from a few months back to let you know that the Oakley helmets will be arriving soon. Please let us know which size you prefer, Small Medium or Large. We also have two colors to choose from, white or black. "

I responded right away that I would be happy with white helmets. No more news after that. By the end of April I asked for a status update and got this answer on May 3th 2018:
"HI Sam – we looked into it and the helmets are in the process of being shipped to us right now. As soon as we receive them we will ship them out immediately to all the athletes that are to receive them."

Around May 20th 2018 I finally receive a box. But instead of a white ARO5 and a white ARO7 helmet it contains a black ARO3 helmet. So I inquire on May 28th 2018:
"Instead of an Aro 5, an Aro 3 has arrived. I had opted for a white one but despite that it came in black. Is the Aro 5 not available?
Any idea about the Aro 7? And will that one be delivered in white?"

My question got forwarded to the IM AWA team and the answer is quite shocking:
"Sam, Good morning.
I wanted to let you know that Oakley had some production problems with the other helmets.
They only sent us black helmets, and we were advised that we would only receive the Aro 3 helmets.
Unfortunately, I do not have any control over what they sent. I mailed out the helmets as soon as I received them.
Truly sorry that I cannot do anything else for you."

Take home message: Ironman staff was very prompt with follow up. I thought Oakley was a serious company but that doesn't appear to be the case.
What bothers me most is that they get a lot of marketing out of this initially, put our names up as winners of a contest paired with their brand name but just say: sorry, we don't deliver what we promised...

Well, Oakley, good luck helping make America great again but compared to the excellent customer service, communication and product delivery of Rudy Project, the former 'Official bike helmet of the IMWC' from Italy you truly suck.

Think again before ordering and Oakley helmet...
Sam

Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Oakley ARO5 ARO7 production issues - fails to deliver Kona fastest bike split awards [sgy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so instead of their fastest roadie lid and their full on TT lid, you only got their lower tier roadie helmet in a colour you didnt even request. Yep, id be dark about that too
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Oakley ARO5 ARO7 production issues - fails to deliver Kona fastest bike split awards [coates_hbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
About 4 years ago Oakley was bought by Luxotica. Lux owns the majority of sunglass brands and stores. They stopped Oakleys production of sunglasses in California and moved most of the production to China. Costs went down but prices stayed the same or went up. Some of the things Oakley makes are made in France but whatever.

I stopped purchasing any Oakley item when this happened. I am not surprised that they have had issues with this helmet. Lux ruined Oakley.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Oakley ARO5 ARO7 production issues - fails to deliver Kona fastest bike split awards [sgy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can easily buy a white Aro7 online in the UK so you are just getting tossed around with excuses.

Oakley clearly bears part of the blame but the WTC is also culpable here. The WTC could easily force Oakley to provide what they promised. At a minimum the WTC could buy the helmets you requested to fulfil their end of the barging and burn Oakley in another manner. One bad mass email from the WTC calling out Oakley would cost Oakley a hell of a lot more than a couple of helmets. The response you got from the WTC is just cheap lip service and its total BS 'they can not do anything else.' At the end of the day you are a small fish and neither Oakley or WTC consider it worth their time to fulfil the commitments they made.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello sgy and All,

https://www.bikebiz.com/features/foakleys

Excerpt:

"Determining if they are real or counterfeit can be difficult," admits Oakley on an official FAQ. Indeed, purchasers of fake Oakleys have found that the lenses and other parts are interchangeable with genuine Oakleys.

An often seen claim online is that the fakes fry eyes because, unlike expensive and genuine Oakleys, they let through ultra-violet radiation. This is not true. Fake Oaks have been lab-tested and found to block UV-A and UV-B."

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Oakley ARO5 ARO7 production issues - fails to deliver Kona fastest bike split awards [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Completely true and not much I can do about it apart from sharing the story. We'll see if there is any follow up at all...
Sam
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Super lame. I was in one of their stores recently and they had the ARO7 on the shelf.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Oakley ARO5 ARO7 production issues - fails to deliver Kona fastest bike split awards [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nealhe wrote:
Hello sgy and All,

https://www.bikebiz.com/features/foakleys

Excerpt:

"Determining if they are real or counterfeit can be difficult," admits Oakley on an official FAQ. Indeed, purchasers of fake Oakleys have found that the lenses and other parts are interchangeable with genuine Oakleys.

An often seen claim online is that the fakes fry eyes because, unlike expensive and genuine Oakleys, they let through ultra-violet radiation. This is not true. Fake Oaks have been lab-tested and found to block UV-A and UV-B."

While interesting, I thought oakley's main selling point was the impact protection over cheap lenses. I have had cheap lenses shatter by sitting on them and i've also had smiths and oakleys get crushed by many larger things than my ass and still be fine. I think the expensive brands ensure military grade impact protection. Perhaps not a huge consideration for cyclists where in a crash your eyes are not on the top of the list of concerns.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the day and age of the internet I don't understand how companies can rationalize this decision. 'Instead of 2 high end helmets we're going to give them 1 of our lower end helmets.' People will talk about this online, and your business will not look good. If there truly are production issues and no AR05 or AR07 helmets exist I'm sure plenty of the winners would be happy with a couple pairs of sunglasses, and for the ones who still aren't happy at least you tried. Make an effort to make it right Oakley!
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Oakley ARO5 ARO7 production issues - fails to deliver Kona fastest bike split awards [Daniel Clarke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can’t speak for the white ARO7 but I received my black ARO7 two weeks ago. I’d also wager black is a far more popular color. I too am calling BS on production delays.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is super sad. :-(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can buy an ARO7 in stock from Oakley right now. I have a feeling this is an Ironman issue not an Oakley one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tried on the AR05 yesterday and was totally unimpressed. It appeared bulky and wide sitting on the head, and wasn't 'form fitting' at all. I thought I was missing out on something, but not at all, so don't sweat it too much ;)

(terrible service though, regardless)
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Oakley ARO5 ARO7 production issues - fails to deliver Kona fastest bike split awards [JBell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wiggle had the ARO7 on sale for 50% off last week (Canadian $$ in the pic).....a lot of places had Oakley on sale, maybe for holiday weekend?
Last edited by: SBRcanuck: May 30, 18 4:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, that's a shame. I would put them both on blast on every channel possible. On the Oakley/IM Facebook pages, twitter, forums, etc... If they were holding orders until paying customer orders are filled it would be one thing but to promise a product and then deliver a lower quality one, or not even deliver at all, is absolutely unacceptable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would first respond to ironman with “you CAN do something about it. You can purchase and send me the 2 helmets promised”. If unresolved, post on Oakley and ironman Facebook and twitter pages.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Oakley ARO5 ARO7 production issues - fails to deliver Kona fastest bike split awards [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
I would first respond to ironman with “you CAN do something about it. You can purchase and send me the 2 helmets promised”. If unresolved, post on Oakley and ironman Facebook and twitter pages.

Yeah it’s definitely an excuse from Ironman. There is no universe they didn’t sign a contract about the promotion that Oakley had to deliver on.

I was looking and couldn’t find the terms and conditions on the promotion though which is kinda odd. The only thing I saw was that you also had to complete the race.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Oakley ARO5 ARO7 production issues - fails to deliver Kona fastest bike split awards [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I opened a ticket with Ironman athlete services so we'll see if there comes a response.
I am not going to make a big fuss about this since it is not worth that much energy but in the end we are all customers spending lots of money on WTC events and premium brands so we must remain critical and vocal about inferior service and unfair treatment. This covers quality of events, quality of products, fair competition, clean competition etc.
As I said before, I am super happy with my Rudy Project helmets and glasses and their outstanding service and support for over 7 years now.
I was going to make somebody else very happy with this prize as I always do with items I get from races. So in the end, I still hope WTC and/or Oakley step up...
Sam
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Oakley ARO5 ARO7 production issues - fails to deliver Kona fastest bike split awards [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Little update: I messaged both Oakley and opened a ticket at WTC athlete services and the WTC people responded positively:
"Good afternoon. I wanted to let you know that I have good news. Oakley will be shipping the AR07 helmets within the next two weeks. ..."
I don't know if there is sth going on internally between WTC and Oakley but at least WTC communicates and finally comes up with a solution.
Also noteworthy: Oakley isn't listed on the IMWC page anymore as a sponsor/partner. They used to be up there.
In the meantime I heard from a few other sources that Luxottica owning Oakley is not a huge success...
Sam
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe Luxottica has owned Oakley in part or outright for the good part of a decade. I think things are fine there... at least as far as things have been before they came out with bike helmets and clothing.
Quote Reply