Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Diabetics - Freestyle libre monitor
Quote | Reply

Are any of the diabetics out there using the Freestyle libre monitor ?

I am wondering how it holds up in the water and with sweat.
Quote Reply
Re: Diabetics - Freestyle libre monitor [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi there. I’m not a diabetic but my daughter is type 1 and does swimming and tris.

She is only 5 but we have been on the libre since it was available to us in Canada. What we have noticed is that water and sweat can get behind the adhesive the holds it to the skin. Once it gets behind it and starts separating a bit, dirt and sand etc. follow. What we do is go to the health care store and buy some medical tape. It’s clear, light, and very sticky. We cut a piece maybe 3” by 2” and place it over the sensor to create a water proof seal. We have had no problems with this method and she is either in the bath, pool or lake 7 days a week. She has also had a sensor get caught on a cargo net and had it ripped out before we started using the tape. The tape would probably help with wetsuit removal, someone accidentally hitting it during the swim etc.

This all being said she has very small arms which in turn creates a very small surface area for the seal. Right now the only “approved” spot is the tricep. Our endo has told us off the record you can put it at the small of the back and the side of your stomach. Common spots for your pump sensor. If you put it there, the sensor will be covered by your tri suit and probably wouldn’t need the tape.

We saw a young lady at Chatty last week with one on her arm so we started talking and she said it was fine on the back of her arm and she doesn’t cover it with anything.

Hope this info helps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like the other poster, my daughter has T1D. We use the Dexcom 5 though.

But we use Grifgrips. https://www.grifgrips.com

If your daughter is 5 and her sensor is coming off, she'll love them. I let my daughter pick them out and we only use them when we need to (like all summer with all the swimming she does, or if the sensor is coming off). They have plain ones as well. That along with some adhesive on her arm before we put on the sensor (don't cover the part where the needle will pierce the skin though) and we don't have any issues. We used the Dexcom 4 before this, so we've been with a CGM for a couple of years now.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yes i use them in my A races. They are expensive so not all the time, just the one or two important races of the year. Make life so much easier on the bike and run.
I simply put some rocktape over the top (the hydro one) and its fine. Wetsuit or non wettie i have never had any problems up to 70.3 distance.

Rate them highly.
Quote Reply
Re: Diabetics - Freestyle libre monitor [Quinny98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks a lot to all posters, very useful info.

I got a "starter kit", two pods and the reader. I am anxious to try this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We use continuous glucose monitors for (CGM) research with athletes. To help ensure the CGM stays in place we put a Tegaderm dressing over the top.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Last edited by: PhilipShambrook: May 30, 18 5:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trust me it’s handy for longer stuff- I don’t test in sprints because I know it will be slightly higher. I have never been low on a sprint.

But oly and up and training long it is sensational. Trending arrows alone are worth it
Quote Reply