Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

state college PA riding and running
Quote | Reply
Heading over to Penn State for sons orientation so curious if people have recommended riding or running loops for State College. Be over there for the next 4 years (please not longer!) so thought worth asking. Brought the cross bike so road or gravel/dirt works and trails for running fine as well -- I can go slow on almost any surface!

Thanks!

Banger
Quote Reply
Re: state college PA riding and running [banger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's been a few year since I graduated from there but:

Running anywhere around campus is fine. There's some good routes out west by the golf course.

With regards to biking I used to do a loop out by the airport towards Belfonte. If you need any advice ask the guys at The Bicycle Shop on W College Ave they know all the good road and trail routes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same advice. Reach out to Erik or Sparky at the Bicycle Shop, they’ll know every loop you want to ride or run.

Boots
Fleet Feet Rochester, NY
Fleet Feet Buffalo, NY
YellowJacket Racing, Rochester, NY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't testify to cross or gravel riding, since it's been quite some time since I've been out there. In fact the last time was when my friend Joe killed a bird with his mountain bike. Accidentally, of course. Joe's about 6-6, 300lbs, has the speed and agility of a tortoise and can leap like a rhinoceros. This bird decided "Today is a good day to die" and flew across the trail about a foot off the ground; a little less than "hub high." Joe hit him and just smacked him down to the ground ... like swatting a fly, but flies don't crunch-squeek. Joe was really upset about it, very upset, more upset than a straight man should have been. It made the ride home very somber. Joe played The Cure all the way home. Made me wish he'd run ME over with his bike!!!

I stopped riding with him - even locally - pretty much right after that

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was at UF for a graduation. I just parked next to a place I could ask for directions back to if I had to and just went and ran and totally got lost. It was kind of fun. Actually ended up where all the sorority houses were so that was a nice scenic run as they were all moving out haha then totally got lost in some park and had to basically run some back alley ways to find my way out, then ended up deep in some neighborhood. It was like a 9 mile run but seemed WAY shorter because I didn't look at my watch for distance and had NO idea where I was haha
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for Eric at the Bicycle Shop. For running, check out the Nittany Valley Running Club. Group runs from Rec Hall at noon (well, 12:10) during the week along with weekend runs. Track on Thursday. Their website has popular running routes, but the whole town is good for running.
Quote Reply
Re: state college PA riding and running [frosty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No comment on running, however the area has some fantastic riding (if you like climbing).
Check with the shops already mentioned, also Penn State has a pretty good cycling team so that could be another good option to check in with.
Quote Reply