Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

TR Low Vol Full - Mid Week Long Run scheduling
Quote | Reply

Going to try tackling the Trainerroad low volume Full distance plan this winter (southern hemisphere) , and still want to stick to a mid week long run

Question: has anyone ever done the VO2 Max workout on a Tuesday (60 mins), Long run Wedndesday (13-14miles) , and then a Sweet Spot (75min) on Thursday?
Essentially putting the long run in between two of the mid week TR workouts?

I'm trying to figure out scheduling of these workouts around the long run, and if this has worked for any one?. Was you recovering OK?

My other thought are:

M: Vo2 Max
Tu: Mid distance run
W: Sweet Spot
Thr: Long run
Fri: Mid distance run
Sat: Long workout (TR)

(Separated by a mid distance run)

or

M: Mid Distance run
Tu: Vo2 Max
Wed: Sweet Sport
Thur: Long run
Fri: Mid distance run
Sat: Long workout

(Back to back)

or

M: Mid Distance run
Tu: Vo2 Max
Wed: Long run
Thr: Mid distance run
Fri: Sweet Spot
Sat: Long workout

(Putting a sweet spot and long workout distance back to back)

It would be nice if TR could come up with plans for people who do mid-week long runs...
Essentially, keeping my Sundays free for some quality family time. Would like to hear opinion of those who have tried any of these variations - as i'm going to head for one of the above.
Quote Reply
Re: TR Low Vol Full - Mid Week Long Run scheduling [sambadhillon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good call on the plan. The low volume full distance plan led me to 11:23 in my first IM at IM Texas last month. I found the plan to be the perfect amount of training while still trying to balance work and family life.

My concern with the plan you laid out would be pounding your joints on a long run with fatigued legs. The V02 max rides are the hardest on your legs. The TR plan has the run on Sundays after an easy day Friday and a purely aerobic long ride Saturday so your leg muscles are still strong enough to support your joints for the long run.

If you need your long run to be during the week, I would suggest the below schedule. I added two swims to it since I didn't see any. The TR plan has a swim Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday. In my opinion, the schedule below would help keep you away from injuries resulting from pouring miles on tired legs.

M: Vo2 Max
Tu: Swim & Short Distance Run
W: Long Run
Thr: Sweet Spot
Fri: Swim & Mid distance run
Sat: Long workout (TR)

I wish you the best of luck!
Quote Reply
Re: TR Low Vol Full - Mid Week Long Run scheduling [Rossguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your response Rossguy

Your conclusion on pounding the joints make absolute sense. I did the HIM mid volume last year with a similar set up, and didnt feel all too bad doing the SweetSpot ride a day before the LR. It wasn't too demanding, and let me get a good run in the next day. Its almost a short aerobic ride, without any of the demands from a Vo2 workout.

I'm going to take your advise and roll with it next week. Then, week later swap Wednesday for Thursday and see if I feel any better or worse.
As for swimming, its usually Monday , Wed, Fri lunchtimes. Dosnt impact work or home life, but as its winter here....i may give those a miss every now an then.

Thanks again
Quote Reply