Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Trainers and frame damage
Quote | Reply
A training partner of mine told me today that trainers can cause frame damage, specifically in the chain stays. I was wondering if anyone else has heard of this or experienced it 1sthand. I am now a little paranoid about my new carbon fiber frame, as I have definitely seen the chain stays flex ever so slightly when out of the saddle on some high gear sessions. For the most part I just do high cadence work these days, but after reading some of Slowman's pieces recently, I was looking forward to some hard intervals on the trainer for this coming season. Any personal anecdotes, warnings, or reassurances welcomed....
Quote Reply
Re: Trainers and frame damage [giantracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
      I've been using a trainer and now a Computrainer for over eight years and I can't imagine how it could do any damage to the bicycle frame. What frame are you riding that you can see it flexing? That doesn't sound right at all. And what are you doing looking at your chain stays when you are out of the saddle grinding a high gear? You'll likely tip the whole thing over. AND what are you doing out of the saddle grinding at this time of year? Take it easier, work on your form, your aerobic base, there is a whole year ahead.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Trainers and frame damage [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just heard that when you ratchet a bike into a trainer, the chain stays could be susceptible to added (or excessive?) stress that they would not experience on a road ride. Is it true or not? I dont know, but it seems plausible to me when I visualize the physics of it, especially on an old frame, maybe carbon fiber or aluminum. I ride a Giant composite bike, and unless my eyes have deceived me, I did see a little action down there when I was at the bottom of a pedal stroke. This may be natural, I dont know. But early in the season when I am working on my form, I like to watch what my legs, pedals, and crankarms are doing in addition to feeling it. AND I only stand up when my ass needs a break for a minute and I would like to warmup my legs just that little bit more. Believe me, theres no high gear, hill simulations going on yet.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainers and frame damage [giantracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, the only thing I've ever damaged is the skewer. Now I use the same old scratched up one on the trainer. That seems to take all the pressure. And I hope your eyes are decieving you about that flexing. Your bicycle is new right? The Giant composite frame is beautiful and shouldn't be flexing at all. I'm sure you love it and can't wait to get out on the road again.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply