Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Changing from Asics Nimbus 20
Quote | Reply
Been running 30 years in Asics and they finally gave me reason to look elsewhere.

Nimbus 18's needed to be replaced. The 19's are known to be ridiculously mis-sized (and I verified by trying them on) so I jumped to the 20's. Ran an easy 7 in them this afternoon and they are awful. Tight toe box, hard bottom, just an all-around brutal ride.

I like a 10mm drop since I have calf issues from time to time.

Anyone make a similar jump and have recommendation that worked for you?
Quote Reply
Re: Changing from Asics Nimbus 20 [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2 of my favorite shoes are the Addidas UltraBoost and Brooks Levitate.
For tempo and interval runs, I switch between Brooks Launch and Saucany Ride
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done Nimbus -> Saucony Ride -> Brooks Glycerin. Really like the Glycerin, 10mm drop as well. You could try Brooks Ghost which is pretty popular.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The launch, ride and levitate aren't really in the same category other than all are neutral shoes. The Nimbus is a high cushioned shoe the other's aren't as high cushioned

The Glycerin 16 hit my LRS last week and are a bit softer than the 15's, I really liked both the 15s and 16s., probably with a nod to the 16s
Other high cushioned neutral shoes you may want to try:

Adidas Supernova
NB 880 You could also try the 840, 990 and 1080 although I think the 880 is the best shoe of that group ymmv
Saucony Freedom ISO 2
Hoka Bondi, cavu, elevon, clifton
361 Spire 3 (not released just yet) Meraki, Stratomic

that's off the top of my head and should be enough to get you started. There are some other threads I've chimed in on with neutral, high cushioned shoes you may want to search for

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Changing from Asics Nimbus 20 [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
The launch, ride and levitate aren't really in the same category other than all are neutral shoes. The Nimbus is a high cushioned shoe the other's aren't as high cushioned

The Glycerin 16 hit my LRS last week and are a bit softer than the 15's, I really liked both the 15s and 16s., probably with a nod to the 16s

Adidas Supernova
NB 880 You could also try the 840, 990 and 1080 although I think the 880 is the best shoe of that group ymmv
Saucony Freedom ISO 2

that's off the top of my head and should be enough to get you started. There are some other threads I've chimed in on with neutral, high cushioned shoes you may want to search for

Thanks All!

DD - At your suggestion, I read every thread I could find on ST regarding shoes and I'm now convinced any change from my current shoe will cause an injury. :-) My solution is to search the internet and buy every pair of Nimbus 18's I can find.

If that doesn't work, I'm going to try the Bondi and Glycerin.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I moved from the Nimbus to the Bondi and am very happy with the move. Especially when you can find a pair on sale!
Quote Reply
Re: Changing from Asics Nimbus 20 [rss31778] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rss31778 wrote:
I moved from the Nimbus to the Bondi and am very happy with the move. Especially when you can find a pair on sale!

Since there's a big heel drop difference, did you transition slowly or just go for it?
Quote Reply
Re: Changing from Asics Nimbus 20 [rss31778] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rss31778 wrote:

Ditto. I ran in the Nimbus for years, then they started getting crummy. At the time, the Bondi was too narrow for me. Then they went wide, and I have not looked back. I'm on my third pair. Not everyone likes the "new" Bondi though, and it's very different from the Nimbus.

"The first virtue in a soldier is endurance of fatigue; courage is only the second virtue."
- Napoleon Bonaparte
Quote Reply
Re: Changing from Asics Nimbus 20 [Don_W] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also ran in the Nimbus for years. they seem to have peaked around the 16 and gotten steadily worse since then. I have wide feet with a very high / stiff arch. I'm a forefoot striker.

I now use and highly recommend the Nike Zoom Fly. Squashy and fast with a roomy toe box. 10mm drop.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just went for it. Alternated shoes for a few runs, but the Hoka felt so nice that the back-and-forth didn't last too long.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[quote]Since there's a big heel drop difference, did you transition slowly or just go for it[/quote]

It's a 5mm drop difference. I'd not worry too much about that. 3 runs, at most, is my guess how long you may notice it.

People get wrapped up in drop of a shoe. You have to remember you're talking about a compressible material under your foot, one where you're landing with multiples of your body weight on that compressible material.

Or as I tell me athletes:

Think less & run more

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try the Nike Vomero v13.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Look at the new Saucony Ride. It's pretty plush (in the past it was not but they've went 180 deg with that shoe). You could try the Triumph. I'm not sure that I've tried on a softer feeling shoe, but I feel super slow in it.

I tried the Bondi but it was way too stiff for my foot. I started getting PF issues and I've never had that in the past. Quit wearing it and they went away. I do have a high arch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brian, please tell me about the new Brooks foam found in the 16s, is it just a cushioning thing or is there some of the pop like a levitate or react? I’m eagerly awaiting the 16s to come in. Are they a great shoe? In your opinion. The 15s are on steep discount, and I'm thinking of grabbing a pair but the 16s sound pretty great as well.

desert dude wrote:

Adidas Supernova
Saucony Freedom ISO 2

Last edited by: EnderWiggan: May 30, 18 9:31
Quote Reply
Re: Changing from Asics Nimbus 20 [integrator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[quote]I started getting PF issues [/quote]

While maybe not related to your shoe, if you have PF issues you should move to a higher drop shoe and/or put a heel lift in. A lower drop shoe will tend to aggravate PF

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm fond of "miles, not millimeters" but "think less & run more" is also pretty good.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply