Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Canyon AEROAD CF SLX 8.0 vs. Ultimate CF SL 8.0
Quote | Reply
I am getting ready to purchase a road / training bike and have it narrowed down to these two bikes. Actually they would also both be the disc version since that is all they have in my size.

I love to ride fast, (for me), and really like the AEROAD but I feel the Ultimate might be better for all around riding. I will be doing some club riding and some weekend getaway destination rides in different terrains.

I might do a couple of triathlons on this bike but plan on getting a tri bike for next season.

I’m just not sure if the AEROAD would be practical in every situation and am wondering if anyone has experience with either of these bikes?

I would love to wait for the Premier Tactical road bike but need something soon.

Thanks for any help or advice.
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon AEROAD CF SLX 8.0 vs. Ultimate CF SL 8.0 [jacked] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My personal opinion would be to get the ‘climbing’ (non aero) bike. The difference in aerodynamics is far outweighed by the ability to swap out stems, make easy adjustments, and the overall ability to work on your bike. While the aero bike may technically be more aero, the other is technically stiffer and lighter. You can’t go wrong with either, but the Ultimate will give you less of a headache in the long run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Browse around the web. The consensus is that the Aeroad climbs just as well as the ultimate and is better at everything else. Only reason to get the ultimate is if you want a relaxed fit.
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon AEROAD CF SLX 8.0 vs. Ultimate CF SL 8.0 [Hammer Down] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Canyon TT bike and was so impressed that when it came time to buy a new road bike I bought the Aeroad.

In hindsight i think that for everyday riding/training, and because i already have a TT bike, i would have been better off getting the Ultimate because of the slightly more relaxed fit for everyday use. If you don't have a TT bike and want this new bike to do everything including Tri races then get the Aeroad.

Still love my Aeroad though, its an awesome bike for the money!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got the Aeroad and can thoroughly recommend it, lovely bike. Certainly no hassle to use, very simple with standard brakes, etc. Plenty light and stiff enough for climbing, I've taken it on alpine weekends where all we're doing is climbing and descending. I know several people who have an Ultimate, including an ex-Canyon employee who got to ride all the bikes extensively, all of whom wished they'd just bought the Aeroad as it's quicker on the flat solo stuff and gives nothing away on anything else.

Only things to be wary of is that the geometry is quite aggressive so check your position. And if you're getting a model with the one-piece handlebars and stem (which you really should, it's a beautiful bit of kit) then there's not a lot of adjustment options.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I own an Aeroad, an Ultimate (from around 2013 I think, so I don't really ride it anymore) and a Speedmax.

In the past 2 years I've used my Aeroad on olympic ans long distance tris, with and without aerobars, and on all kinds of courses (including rides over 200km or with 3000m of elevation). So it's definitely good for any situation.

In my opinion both the Aeroad and the Ultimate are excellent bikes, so there's no wrong choice. But the Ultimate is slightly more comfortable, and has a slightly better handling. But the Aeroad feels faster...
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon AEROAD CF SLX 8.0 vs. Ultimate CF SL 8.0 [Muckyb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have an SLX 9 Pro which I greatly enjoy and also briefly had a Aeroad SLX 8. The Ultimate rides and handles significantly better. Hell, even some of the team Movistar pros refuse to ride the Aeroad. Geometry is also different which could rule out Aeroad I’d you have a wear core or don’t like the position.

I would ditch the disc brakes and just learn how to brake properly unless you ride a lot in inclement weather. That will save you weight and money to put into a higher end wheel set or build.

At the higher end, both bikes have integrated stem/bars which make fitting a PITA if the stock setup doesn’t fit you. I had to order different handlebars from Germany and use a forwarding service to get the right size shipped to US. If you get the 8.0 build, you should upgrade to the Aerocockpit for either bike or you’re leaving watts on the table. Just make sure you know which size to order first.

Love my Ultimate. Very versatile. On Bora 50s rides like a dream and aero enough for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you ride a fairly low position and the proprietary cockpit in the AEROAD can serve your preferred position, then for me it's an easy choice. Plus, the AEROAD is way way sexier and you'll just want to ride the shit out of that thing. Get it in red.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like a few have mentioned already, if looking at the Aeroad, make sure the aggressive position is ok for you. I was looking at both bikes originally and determined the Aeroad was going to most likely be too aggressive for me and without the ability to test ride, wasn't going to take a chance. In the end I ordered a BMC Teammachine which is a little less aggressive.
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon AEROAD CF SLX 8.0 vs. Ultimate CF SL 8.0 [MKirk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all of the replies, it’s been very helpful. I’m leaning towards the AEROAD at this time. I will let you know my final decision.
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon AEROAD CF SLX 8.0 vs. Ultimate CF SL 8.0 [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i'll second getting it in red

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you ridden any of the bikes? Or tried disc? I've been through (and tested) a couple of roadbikes and I did a couple of 100km's on a ultimate disc and the bike was boring as hell (compared to previous Scott Foil Team issue or my current bike a S5).. So I would go for the aeroad if you want a canyon :-) or test ride a couple of bikes and see what you like (and don't)!
Quote Reply