Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Favorite Ant+ HR Monitor?
Quote | Reply
I've been using an old Garmin "hard' strap since I got my first Forerunner 305 ~12 years ago. It's not the most comfortable thing in the world, but it's been bulletproof. With the (very) ocassional battery change and replacing the elastic strap when it gets too stretched-out (roughly yearly), it seems like it will never die.

During that time, I also tried the newer Garmin Premium "soft" strap. I like the comfort, but only got a few months out of a strap before it died. I think I went through four of them before giving up. The replacements are much pricier than replacement elastic straps for the old "hard" strap.

I know there are a lot of new players in the market these days. Has anyone found an option with the dependability of the old "hard" strap, but the comfort of a "soft" strap? My only requirements are that it's Ant+ (so I can use it with my Forerunner 310XT and Edge 520) and that it's not too expensive ($50ish limit).

Steve

"If you ain't first, you're last." Reese Bobby Talladega Nights
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Ant+ HR Monitor? [The_Mickstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve,

I've enjoyed a Wahoo Tickr for the last couple of years with no problems. It's Ant+ as well as bluetooth

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm happy with my Wahoo TIKR (base version.) It has lasted several years, and handles both Ant+ and Bluetooth Smart. The price meets your budget.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The_Mickstar wrote:
I've been using an old Garmin "hard' strap since I got my first Forerunner 305 ~12 years ago. It's not the most comfortable thing in the world, but it's been bulletproof. With the (very) ocassional battery change and replacing the elastic strap when it gets too stretched-out (roughly yearly), it seems like it will never die.

During that time, I also tried the newer Garmin Premium "soft" strap. I like the comfort, but only got a few months out of a strap before it died. I think I went through four of them before giving up. The replacements are much pricier than replacement elastic straps for the old "hard" strap.

I know there are a lot of new players in the market these days. Has anyone found an option with the dependability of the old "hard" strap, but the comfort of a "soft" strap? My only requirements are that it's Ant+ (so I can use it with my Forerunner 310XT and Edge 520) and that it's not too expensive ($50ish limit).

How you do know it is the strap dying versus the actual unit? I have used the Garmin Premium soft strap for years and I find it to be pretty good unit but yes it seems like there is a finite life on these. I have since switched to the Wahoo Tickr and I have had good success with it and wouldn't hesitate recommending it.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Ant+ HR Monitor? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
How you do know it is the strap dying versus the actual unit? I have used the Garmin Premium soft strap for years and I find it to be pretty good unit but yes it seems like there is a finite life on these. I have since switched to the Wahoo Tickr and I have had good success with it and wouldn't hesitate recommending it.

Each time my "soft" strap quit working, I replaced the elastic strap, but kept the same center piece, and it started working again. I even tried using the Garmin center piece with a Polar strap. That strap seemed to last a little longer, but still not as long as a new elastic band for my old "hard" strap. And, again, much more expensive to replace.

I'll check out the Tickr.

Steve

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will be the contrarian here.

I just switched to a Wahoo Tickr Run and hate it.

It is much worse at finding the correct heart rate-usually hunts for five minutes and is only marginally better using electrode gel (which I never needed with the current generation Garmin strap).

Also, the snaps used to mount the strap the electronics module don't stay fastened. If you adjust the strap, there is a pretty good chance the strap is going to pop open and fall off.

Finally, it slides down terribly at seemingly any tension. There is no grippy material on the strap-just fabric, thereby sliding down to my lower abdomen about every ten minutes on a run.

It is fine on the bike, however.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you only looking for a chest strap type monitor? If not, then the Scosche Rhythm+ is a great option. ANT+, BTLE, rechargeable, optical based, and much mort comfortable than anything anyone else makes. A little more than your desired $50 limit, but worth the extra $30.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scosche Rhythm+. Drop the mic.

It is higher than your price point, but worth every penny. The Rhythm 24 is coming out any day, so maybe a sale will happen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Ant+ HR Monitor? [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with you
The tickr is the worst HRM I own! The pads on the strap started to delaminate very quickly, it still works however, but I’d say the garmin HRM’s are much better quality
I only use the tickr for running as I need BT for my Apple Watch, on the bike I use a garmin HRM

-

http://www.thetrinerd.com
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Ant+ HR Monitor? [Anth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Find the suunto smart sensor to be very reliable
Have used it with non Suunto devices with no issue, strap is durable and sensor is not too bulky
Only downside is it only connects via Bluetooth
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Ant+ HR Monitor? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Scosche Rhythm+. Drop the mic.

It is higher than your price point, but worth every penny. The Rhythm 24 is coming out any day, so maybe a sale will happen.
Agreed.
I have the a Garmin Tri cheststrap that came with my 920XT, which I found a lot better than the earlier Garmin straps (I also have a hard plastic one I got with a Forerunner 305 10 or 11 years ago and a premium soft strap with the detachable pod that I got with a 910XT around 2014 I think - both still work AFAIK but haven't been used for a long time).
However, I always found the chest straps annoying while running and bought a Scosche Rhythm+ a couple of years ago which is now all I use unless I need serious battery life. It's extremely reliable and accurate and far, far more comfortable than a chest strap, especially for running. If it's battery life was better and it stored data from swims, I'd never use anything else. I believe the Scosche Rhythm 24 addresses both of those issues and adds a bunch of other features too. If you just want a really good HR detector and 7-8hrs battery is sufficient I'd grab a Rhythm+, if you want everything, I'd consider waiting for a Rhythm 24.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Ant+ HR Monitor? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Do you wash the soft-straps?

I generally leave my HR monitor (hard of soft strap) on the shower floor after a workout, then hang it up to drip dry. Whether than qualifies as "washing" it...

The Scosche Rhythm is interesting, but the battery life is nowhere near enough for the racing I do.

Steve

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As others have said, Scosche Rhythm+ is the hot ticket.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Ant+ HR Monitor? [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I considered buy a Rhythm+, however I am not sure optical monitor percision and if it could support HRV.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had a Whaoo Ticker X for about a year and I'm quite happy with it.

One feature I really like on the Ticker X is the acelerometer tracking. I thought it was a toss away feature, but I travel a decent amount and I've come to be a fan of the 7 minute workouts on my phone. With the Ticker X, it tracks your push ups, planks, jumps and counts them up for you on the phone app... I guess I'm not much more sophisticated than a hamster because I'll grit my teeth and hurry to set a new PR on the circuits. Its a great way to get a quick sweat in a hotel room, or get some upper body in after a run.

" I take my gear out of my car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of of their lives shocks me. "
(opening lines from Tim Krabbe's The Rider , 1978
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Ant+ HR Monitor? [sleep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sleep wrote:
I considered buy a Rhythm+, however I am not sure optical monitor percision and if it could support HRV.
Accuracy of the Rhythm+ is not a problem. Check out DCR's reviews. It uses a Valencell sensor. It does not support HRV, though. I think the upcoming Rhythm 24 does support HRV... not sure on that yet.
Quote Reply