Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

It's getting real! IronSoul 2018. Penticton, BC. August 26.
Quote | Reply

As you may have read here on ST, I'm organizing a little gathering of like-minded triathletes. The last time I posted an update on this, I had about 8 people commit to doing it.

In organizing this non-event, I contacted a local race director. He kindly provided me with the following "agreement" that I will be having the folks who show up sign off on.

"I am aware that this is not an organized race/event but a recreational

gathering and that as such am aware that there will be no support of any
kind provided and that I'm responsible for my own safety and well being
if I attend"

If this is the first you have heard of the IronSoul, read the info below. Also, search the ST threads, I have details on the course there.

Ironvets getting back to their roots
IronSoul 2018

The first ever IronSoul is being held in Penticton, BC on Sunday August 26. It is described as “A long training day with new friends and old friends.” The event is primarily targeted toward athletes who already have closets full of Ironman finishers t-shirts and drawers full of finishers medals and don't need the external validation of their athletic credentials. Although there will be the usual 3.8 kilometre swim, 180 kilometre bike, and 42 kilometer run, there will be no entry fees, finisher's medals or Kona slots. Participants are welcome to do the whole distance on their own or as a part of a relay.

The idea for the IronSoul originated after the demise of Challenge Penticton. Looking at the race schedule, organizer Kevin Heinze noticed a 2018 would have been the first time in 35 years that ere would be no long-distance triathlon in the south Okanagan the last weekend in August. Heinze came up with the IronSoul to fill that void and to keep that tradition going.

For many people in the Canadian multisport community, having a race at the end of August was appealing as it gave athletes to have the whole summer to train outdoors and get in those critical long bike rides and open water swims. The date was also popular as it was a way of capping off the triathlon season and for many, their summer vacations.

The fact that the cycling portion of the IronSoul retraces the route of the original Ironman Canada bike course will also give participants an opportunity to test themselves on that storied course for the first time in years. Richter Pass, Yellow Lake, and the epic downhill back into Penticton will all be there to challenge the legs and inspire memories from three decades of racing that has seen the likes of Thomas Helriegel, Peter Reid, Lisa Bentley, Scott Tinley, and Erin Baker.

Although the day is officially being called unsupported, Heinze has been approached by many people offering to volunteer. “I was worried the long stretch of the run course between Skaha Beach and Okanagan Falls might be difficult, especially if it was a hot day, but a number of people have already said they will provide aid stations there. Participants should be able to get through the day with a minimum of logistical issues. Don't be surprised if Jeff Symonds hands you a cup of F2C Glyco-Durance on your way back from Okanagan Falls.

If you have the motivation and the training to be able to take on the challenge of an Ironman Distance training day the IronSoul could be a great way to end of your 2018 triathlon season. E-mail kknnheinze@yahoo.com[/url] for more information or to be added to the list.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Last edited by: Hydrosloth: May 28, 18 8:04
Quote Reply
Re: It's getting real! IronSoul 2018. Penticton, BC. August 26. [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Monday morning bump.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: It's getting real! IronSoul 2018. Penticton, BC. August 26. [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just don’t want to put all the needed bike training time, is there a list of people needed for relay team?
Quote Reply
Re: It's getting real! IronSoul 2018. Penticton, BC. August 26. [Woodchuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is no list like that yet. We could start one.
Just to clarify, you'd like to do the swim and the run but NOT the bike?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That’s right, maybe someone out there just wants to do the “iconic bike course”. That way I can justify the trip to Penticton and beers/burgers at Salty’s.
Quote Reply
Re: It's getting real! IronSoul 2018. Penticton, BC. August 26. [Woodchuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I am in the area during that time, I will setup a water station or such.

Amazing concept guys.!!
Quote Reply
Re: It's getting real! IronSoul 2018. Penticton, BC. August 26. [schag001] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your support!
The more volunteer support we get, the less time all volunteers need to be out there.
I hope we can all be off the course by about 8:30/9;00 so we can all go to Salty's & tell lies about ourselves.
Please shoot me an e-mail if you CAN make it.

Quote Reply