Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sterling Brown arrest video
Quote | Reply

Can someone tell me why instead of just giving the guy a ticket, they had to surround him and keep questioning him over a parking violation?

LLLEEEEEEEEEEEERRRROOOYYY JEEENNNNNKKKIIINNNNNS!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Sterling Brown arrest video [edwinj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He was being uppity?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I made it through about 2 mins before I couldn’t listen to the cop anymore. He may be racist or he’s just an asshole or both.

But damn talk about unprofessional.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Reminds me of when I got arrested for running.

10 cops with guns drawn!!!

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix
Last edited by: Nova: May 25, 18 13:55
Quote Reply
Re: Sterling Brown arrest video [Nova] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unless you're a black male, that arrest doesn't count.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Sterling Brown arrest video [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Obviously the police could have done a better job to not escalate the situation, BUT, once he started messing around with stuff in his pockets and wouldn’t remove his hands from his pockets when told, that is when I agreed with the takedown-

Oh, and he was soliciting prostitutes - that why he was parked sideways across 2 handicap spots at 3am.
Last edited by: Litemike: May 25, 18 14:55
Quote Reply
Re: Sterling Brown arrest video [Litemike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Litemike wrote:
Obviously the police could have done a better job to not escalate the situation, BUT, once he started messing around with stuff in his pockets and wouldn’t remove his hands from his pockets when told, that is when I agreed with the takedown-

Oh, and he was soliciting prostitutes - that why he was parked sideways across 2 handicap spots at 3am.

What??? Let me get this straight - a 6' 6" professional basketball player wearing a thick gold chain and driving a Benz needs to troll the streets for companionship and instead of being discrete, parks right up next to a Walgreens under the bright store lights. Is that what was happening?

I hope that was supposed to be in pink.

Even if he was soliciting prostitutes (which I doubt), that is not a violent crime warranting the reaction it received.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Sterling Brown arrest video [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:
Unless you're a black male, that arrest doesn't count.

Nope, not a black male. :-)

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix
Quote Reply
Re: Sterling Brown arrest video [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Litemike wrote:

What??? Let me get this straight - a 6' 6" professional basketball player wearing a thick gold chain and driving a Benz needs to troll the streets for companionship and instead of being discrete, parks right up next to a Walgreens under the bright store lights. Is that what was happening?

Even if he was soliciting prostitutes (which I doubt), that is not a violent crime warranting the reaction it received.

Yeah it’s a joke- the Walgreens and the area is known for prostitution and drug dealing. It was not removing his hands from his pockets when told to. So, if you had 5 cops telling you to pull your hands out of your pockets because it made them nervous you would refuse? And then when your face is against the concrete you would say what the hell did I do? Or would you just do what the cops wanted?
Was Walgreens open?
Last edited by: Litemike: May 25, 18 15:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Litemike wrote:
JSA wrote:
Litemike wrote:

Yeah it’s a joke- the Walgreens and the area is known for prostitution and drug dealing. It was not removing his hands from his pockets when told to. So, if you had 5 cops telling you to pull your hands out of your pockets because it made them nervous you would refuse? And then when your face is against the concrete you would say what the hell did I do? Or would you just do what the cops wanted?
Was Walgreens open?

I figured it was. Sorry for the vehement reaction.

I normally back the badge, perhaps even too much. But this is my city, my cops, and my Bucks and I am very embarrassed by this incident.

I’m quite familiar with that area and the criminal element in that area but this was gross police overreaction. It looked to me like a bunch of cops pissed at an “uppity” black man with a nice car. Brown is a complete douche for his parking job but a white guy in that case gets a ticket and no call for backup.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
arrest was deserved... SB was a jerk.
Quote Reply
Re: Sterling Brown arrest video [spntrxi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spntrxi wrote:

Cops were jerks too. Which is probably part of the reason they were suspended and the Police dept. apologized.
Quote Reply
Re: Sterling Brown arrest video [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PR move... cops can be jerks no doubt though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spntrxi wrote:
PR move... cops can be jerks no doubt though.

Did you watch the video? The officers were completely out of line.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The more I 'see' the more I realize that most white cops are racist. Horrible
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Litemike wrote:
JSA wrote:
Litemike wrote:

Was Walgreens open?

He had been standing there like that for 5 minutes. Turned off his car alarm a couple times when the cops leaned on it (why he didn't deactivate it completely I don't know). They weren't afraid then, what changed? And when they start telling him they go from 0 - 100 in 0.7 seconds. And then why tase him after he was down and controlled. That certainly looked like they broke that out just as punishment or for pure fun.

The first cop tells everyone he just wanted one other car there, and I can understand that. I think part of why we see some of the unarmed victim police shootings is because the cop is afraid he can't handle the person one on one. But after he tells them all that, no one leaves. Everyone just keeps surrounding Brown, amping up the situation. They're just, "eh, I've got nothing to do."

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Sterling Brown arrest video [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
spntrxi wrote:

Cops were jerks too. Which is probably part of the reason they were suspended and the Police dept. apologized.

My experience with cops...

1.) If you don't do what they say they become total jerks.
2.) Once they convert into jerks they don't stop being jerks for the rest of the encounter.
3.) Suburbs have a cop glut. They all show up to interesting affairs.
4.) Cops don't believe in fair fights, or fairly distributed violence.

My experience with "cop trouble" videos...

1.) Typically it involves people arguing with the cop.
2.) Typically it involves people not doing what the cop asks them to do.
3.) Typically it involves people not answering questions the cop asks them.

What I've written here is a recipe for trouble. What are the things we should be working on to change?
Last edited by: SH: May 26, 18 17:11
Quote Reply
Re: Sterling Brown arrest video [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
trail wrote:
spntrxi wrote:

My experience with cops...

1.) If you don't do what they say they become total jerks.
2.) Once they convert into jerks they don't stop being jerks for the rest of the encounter.
3.) Suburbs have a cop glut. They all show up to interesting affairs.
4.) Cops don't believe in fair fights, or fairly distributed violence.

My experience with "cop trouble" videos...

1.) Typically it involves people arguing with the cop.
2.) Typically it involves people not doing what the cop asks them to do.
3.) Typically it involves people not answering questions the cop asks them.

What I've written here is a recipe for trouble. What are the things we should be working on to change?

1.) Good things generally don't happen at 3am.
2.) Don't ever park across 2 handicap spots, even if it 3am. (That just pisses people off, cops included.)
3.) Cops have radios, tasers and guns. With radios, they can get more cops with tasers and guns.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Biggest issue I had with the video (other than the unnecessary use of force) was how the cop instantly misremembered the beginning of the encounter and the way he recanted it to all of the other officers when they showed up.

The encounter was initiated by the cop pushing Brown. He remembered it as Brown "getting up in my grill." Based on the conversation that he had with Brown, I'm guessing he actually remembered it that way. I'm 6'3" and have to tell you that when I see people 6'6" looking down at me, they actually do have the appearance like they are intentionally trying to look threatening even when they are just minding their own business. I'm just not used to a person standing over me like that.

I'm not at all apologizing for the cop's actions, just pointing out a piece that probably lead to the unnecessary escalation. Every cop was there with this belief that this 6'6" 230lb muscular black man at 3am aggressively got in this cop's face, which never happened.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: Sterling Brown arrest video [EndlessH2O] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EndlessH2O wrote:
1.) Good things generally don't happen at 3am.

Incorrect. I have a long list of awesome 3AM things that have happened to me.

Quote:
2.) Don't ever park across 2 handicap spots, even if it 3am. (That just pisses people off, cops included.)

Total dick move. Definitely worth a ticket.

Quote:
3.) Cops have radios, tasers and guns. With radios, they can get more cops with tasers and guns.
[/quote]
That's right. Cops can quickly escalate a situation. The question is when should that escalation be exercised, and what form of accountability should they be subject to when the improperly escalate. The body cams are part of that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
More video. They are stepping on his ankle after hitting him with the taser. Also, you see that "oh shit" moment when they realize he is an NBA player. Finally, you can clearly see the Walgreens is open 24 hours and there is plenty of light in the area.

https://www.yahoo.com/...rrest-170653832.html

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m usually one who sided with the police in this videos but totally concur here.

I didn’t really find his behaviour to be out of the ordinary / confrontational / ‘uppity’.

As others have said, he seemed to be standing around with his hands in and out of pockets talking to the others for some time before they decided it was a red flag.

I’m also concerned about half a dozen cars arrived within a minute. What exactly did the first cop key in, “Shots fired officer down”? Meanwhile elsewhere something serious happens and no cops are to be found.
Quote Reply
Re: Sterling Brown arrest video [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mv2005 wrote:
I’m usually one who sided with the police in this videos but totally concur here.

I didn’t really find his behaviour to be out of the ordinary / confrontational / ‘uppity’.

As others have said, he seemed to be standing around with his hands in and out of pockets talking to the others for some time before they decided it was a red flag.

I’m also concerned about half a dozen cars arrived within a minute. What exactly did the first cop key in, “Shots fired officer down”? Meanwhile elsewhere something serious happens and no cops are to be found.

He bopped into Walgreens at 3 am, expecting to be there for 4 minutes. He parked badly, no doubt. But he comes out and is getting a parking ticket in an empty parking lot. Yes he was in the handicap spot and across a couple spaces. But it is 3 am and the parking lot is empty. Then the cop can't just write the ticket, he has to drag it out and act like this is his ticket to being a detective. Then more cops show up making a federal case out of a parking ticket in an empty parking lot. And now his 4 minute trip is taking an hour. So he gets more irritated.

He parked illegally. But no one is going to be happy in that situation. Who is going to be happy when they have been pulled over and/or ticketed by the cops, then have the cops intentionally draw it out? I don't think he even let out an, "are you fucking kidding me?" I'm pretty sure I would have sad that.

I just wish he had a box of tampons he bought at the drug store so he could blame his girlfriend for the whole mess.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Sterling Brown arrest video [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
Biggest issue I had with the video (other than the unnecessary use of force) was how the cop instantly misremembered the beginning of the encounter and the way he recanted it to all of the other officers when they showed up.

Yeah the cops definition of getting up in his face seems to be Brown didn't move far enough back after the cop got in his face and pushed him.
Quote Reply