Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

When can I sell something that was misdelievered? The shipping company still hasn’t picked it backup
Quote | Reply
So we ordered a playhouse for our daughter, and got it like 3-4 weeks ago. They messed up and delivered two to our house. They mislabeled it at their warehouse. It was shipped freight so it’s a pretty big box I can’t do anything with it it’s just sitting in the garage. The delivery group has said multiple times they’ll come pick it up and either don’t or have something come up and can’t get there.

I’m about out of patience with trying to get the thing back to them. It’s a smaller carrier that deliverered and it’s not like it’s just some small package I can throw in the car and take it to where it should have been delivered. I’m trying to do the right thing here but not gonna use my garage as a storage unit for this thing indefinitely.
Quote Reply
Re: When can I sell something that was misdelievered? The shipping company still hasn’t picked it backup [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You know as soon as you sell it they will show up to take it back.

I would just start charging them rent !

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: When can I sell something that was misdelievered? The shipping company still hasn’t picked it backup [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
You know as soon as you sell it they will show up to take it back.

I would just start charging them rent !

Haha I know it’ll either be the same day or next day they’ll be there wondering where it is.
Quote Reply
Re: When can I sell something that was misdelievered? The shipping company still hasn’t picked it backup [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would just tell them they have a week to get rid of it or you will. See what happens.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It’s not yours to sell. Yes, you are having to jump through hoops to get rid of it, but in the end you’ll know you did the right thing.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix
Quote Reply
Re: When can I sell something that was misdelievered? The shipping company still hasn’t picked it backup [Nova] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nova wrote:
It’s not yours to sell. Yes, you are having to jump through hoops to get rid of it, but in the end you’ll know you did the right thing.

I’m sure that’s not the law, at somepoint it becomes abandoned. If a company delivered a hot tub to the wrong house and stuck it on their driveway and never picked it up you don’t have to deal with the hot tub you can’t move in the driveway for eternity.
Quote Reply
Re: When can I sell something that was misdelievered? The shipping company still hasn’t picked it backup [Nova] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Wrong, it is his to sell:

Q. Am I obligated to return or pay for merchandise I never ordered?
A. No. If you receive merchandise that you didn’t order, you have a legal right to keep it as a free gift.
Q. Must I notify the seller if I keep unordered merchandise without paying for it?
A. Although you have no legal obligation to notify the seller, you may write the seller and offer to return the merchadise, provided the seller pays for shipping and handling.

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/...nordered-merchandise

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd wait 30 days after notifying them and then I would sell it.
Quote Reply
Re: When can I sell something that was misdelievered? The shipping company still hasn’t picked it backup [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
efernand wrote:
Quote:

A. No. If you receive merchandise that you didn’t order, you have a legal right to keep it as a free gift.
Q. Must I notify the seller if I keep unordered merchandise without paying for it?
A. Although you have no legal obligation to notify the seller, you may write the seller and offer to return the merchadise, provided the seller pays for shipping and handling.

Fine, legally they aren’t obligated to return it, but morally they are. Not returning the product doesn’t just hurt the manufacturer, it hurts the consumer too. The manufacturer has to raise the price to overcome thelosses.

They screwed up, but 2 wrongs don’t make a right.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix
Last edited by: Nova: May 25, 18 13:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would call the manufacturer. Explain that you will follow up in writing. That they agreed on the phone to collect the merchandise within 7 days otherwise you would dispose of it

Quote the ftc that it is a courtesy inviting them to collect it but your role does not extend beyond that

Tell them on the phone this is not a negotiation. That based upon the law you have given them evry opportunity to collect this otherwise you will get rid of it

Now. I don't think it's worth their while to collect it

In Jan I sent a arc teryx jacket to be repaired. It has a life time warranty. They returned it to the wrong address. I called them and said you screwed my ski season. Lot of back and forth but they called and said pick a new one. I asked if they were goinf to get the olds one and they said no.

It was a 750-800 dollar jacket but the cost in time to pay for the time of the people they would have to collect it from, shipping back to them and then shipping to me just was not worth it.

I would call them. Follow up with email and then dispose of it. Honestly the cost of shippi g just won't be worth it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nova wrote:
efernand wrote:
Quote:

Fine, legally they aren’t obligated to return it, but morally they are. Not returning the product doesn’t just hurt the manufacturer, it hurts the consumer too. The manufacturer has to raise the price to overcom losses.

They screwed up, but 2 wrongs aren’t right either.

I know this, which is why I’m trying to return it but the damn box is so big I literally can’t lift it off the ground. So two wrongs don’t make a right but at somepoint, I’m not wrong for getting rid of the stupid thing. We don’t need a playhouse village in the backyard no matter how much my daughter would love it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I posted about my gift card that LG sent me a while ago. I called and cancelled the card. It was easy and painless.

If they make it a pain I would certainly draw a line in the sand. Either they want it back or they don’t. Either way I’d get it in writing.

Oh, don’t sell it, donate it to a good cause. :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is what Minnesota's AG has to say about your situation. Probably the same in your state: (It's the same in mine - NY):

https://www.ag.state.mn.us/...deredMerchandise.asp

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: When can I sell something that was misdelievered? The shipping company still hasn’t picked it backup [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree - call- tell them it’s hail season and you need your garage back.

You will accept collection in the next 7 days or you will dispose of it.
Quote Reply