Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike Fit for Quasimodo
Quote | Reply
Ok..let's start with the usual caveats: I know I need a real professional bike fit and I know that I'm just an age grouper trying to burn off the extra beer, not do this professionally.

That said, I'm a big proponent of understanding a process before you pay an expert to weigh in---it allows me to understand what they are saying and digest the information better for use in the future.

So, here are my stats: 47yo, 5'11" with a 30" inseam. 188lbs. Very short legs for height. Oh yea, and I've got quite a bit of kyphosis, aka, a hunchback, as well as a long history of back issues and neck issues.

That said, I can make my oddly shaped body work ok at local sprints and olys on the strength of my run and swim. 1:31 open half, 1:26 average for 2k, etc within the last few months. My plan this year is Nats (oly), local events and possibly a 70.3 in the fall.

I've measured my stack at 675 and the reach at 515. I'm on a Shiv L--and that is around the middle of that bike's range, although my seat is pretty far down. I chose it because A) I'm a Specialized Fanboi and B) It was more comfortable than the Medium.

Youtube Video:

Suggestions for further gains for home experimentation?
Last edited by: Per: May 25, 18 8:33
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Fit for Quasimodo [Per] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apparently, old Quasi can't operate a computer. Here's are some stills while I figure out the video thing--although I think these tell the basic story. I toe point a bit as the crank goes past BDC--but even dropping my saddle to the lowest limit--that still happens, so this is a comfortable spot.

Last edited by: Per: May 25, 18 7:00
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Fit for Quasimodo [Per] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Saddle is probably 15-20 mm too high. Would like to bring you forward 3-5 cm - going to take a new saddle to do that I’m guessing.

Would like longer extensions and arm pads placed a little closer to your elbow.

A good fit is within reach for you.

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Fit for Quasimodo [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trentnix wrote:
A good fit is within reach for you.

I see what you did there.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Fit for Quasimodo [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I wasn't a cyclist and I was your neighbor - I definitely would be peeping around the curtain in the window wondering WTF you were doing haha!

I agree - some reach is needed!
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Fit for Quasimodo [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome, thank you for the feedback. I can move the saddle forward easily enough---the post is flipped around and I can flip it the other way to get more forward--and the pads are in their middle position, so that's an easy change there too. I've got about 20mm left of downward on the saddle.

Cool. I love real-world testing..will report back.

PS: my neighbors already wonder about me. I'm the 'cousin eddie" of this street, I fear.
Last edited by: Per: May 25, 18 10:46
Quote Reply