Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Home Made Bottle Hack
Quote | Reply
I see some of these posts about the water bottle between the bars and how they splash and lack of refill options etc.

I got bored at work - so looked around and found a "wine bottle re-corker". Its a ridged plug, with a rubber mesh filter, and cap. Seals pretty solid but is easy enough to pop out to refill on a ride. I still have to figure out a cheap straw option but for the price of a $3.00 tube of silicon, $4.00 wine corker, and gatorade bottle...thisl work.

Thought I would share this little solution

Quote Reply
Re: Home Made Bottle Hack [Twinkie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice work. Do you have a link to your wine bottle stopper? Also, what kind of silicone it did you use? Is it food grade?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Home Made Bottle Hack [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Nice work. Do you have a link to your wine bottle stopper? Also, what kind of silicone it did you use? Is it food grade?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001IWONKC/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

It is an "add on item" but I had ordered something else. They sell all sorts of packs of them for around $10.

The silicone is just regular home depot stuff. I put it around the lip of the cork so it sealed on the outside, thus not really getting in contact with whatever liquid is in the bottle. I cut the hole very small so it is a super tight fit even without silicone.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty slick!

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 I still have to figure out a cheap straw option
======================================================================
various widths and types of plastic tubing is/are to be found cheaply at hardware stores. i have used rigid and pliant types over the years on a set-up i made up. it was well under $1, either type, and worked very well.
peggy
Quote Reply
Re: Home Made Bottle Hack [pmcdc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was lookin at these rubberish "smoothie straws"...they are a little thicker and wider in diameter and could probably be rigged with a bite valve. Ive yet to stumble upon a perfect cheap solution haha
Quote Reply
Re: Home Made Bottle Hack [pmcdc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep. I have a similar setup (1L nalgene bottle), with the main difference being a much smaller straw port with PVC tubing squeezed into it, such that there's no space for leaking around the tube. Tubing comes in all dimensions, with wall thickness determining the rigidity. They can be found at your local beer brewing store for super cheap or online if you know the dimensions you want. You can also boil it in order to bend or straighten it for your purposes.

Amazon PVC tubing

pmcdc wrote:
I still have to figure out a cheap straw option
======================================================================
various widths and types of plastic tubing is/are to be found cheaply at hardware stores. i have used rigid and pliant types over the years on a set-up i made up. it was well under $1, either type, and worked very well.
peggy

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Twinkie wrote:
I was lookin at these rubberish "smoothie straws"...they are a little thicker and wider in diameter and could probably be rigged with a bite valve. Ive yet to stumble upon a perfect cheap solution haha

Why don't you try a replacement Camelbak bite valve kit? Like so: https://www.amazon.com/...BD&pd_rd_w=C5lt4

Plus you have the added option of a on/off valve too (so you can secure it for moving/transport and don't have to worry about leaking).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This looks great and got me thinking. I have the Xlab Torpedo, but can actually see some benefits of this solution over that one. I didn't love how the Xlab filling port interacted with the on course Gatorade endurance tops.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After what you've come up with there, this may seem too inelegant, but for a straw option, you can pop or drill out the center of the cap and silicone in a piece of surgical tubing. It can attach to the bottle using small pieces of velcro with adhesive backing.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well done sir! A setup like this works well with large bottles like this:

https://www.performancebike.com/...ottle-1000ml-40-5378

Personally, all I need for a 70.3 is that bottle setup as a BTA and then the hydration bladder on my Shiv. No need to stop at aide stations or fiddle with refilling from bottles behind my saddle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I looked at your link and again at your pic.

Is this for refilling while in motion?

Because that is one tiny tiny hole to refill, heck it would be hard to fill while standing perfectly still on a windless day. But in motion? That looks nearly impossible. But if I'm off base, how do you do it? How well does it work?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with DarkSpeedWorks, that refill hole seems quite challenging to use while in motion. I have look into doing this myself and I found out that Xlab sells a "Torpedo refreshing kit" which includes refill valve and straw for $13, it may be worth a look.

https://www.amazon.com/...-7&keywords=xlab
Quote Reply
Re: Home Made Bottle Hack [kornpett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it's a tight fit, it doesn't even need to be siliconed. After you drill, do a little light sanding to make the surface smooth, then stuff the tube in. Like I recommended above, food grade PVC tubing works really well.

kornpett wrote:
After what you've come up with there, this may seem too inelegant, but for a straw option, you can pop or drill out the center of the cap and silicone in a piece of surgical tubing. It can attach to the bottle using small pieces of velcro with adhesive backing.

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Quote Reply
Re: Home Made Bottle Hack [DaniD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those Gatorade Endurance bottles they hand out on the bike have huge tops, hope you're not planning on using them. Might work with a water bottle, but I'd end up with half the bottle rinsing my front wheel.

I'm closer to the feathered end of the spear than the point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m not finding the article on the main page but slowman did an article on the same DIY project a few years back.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply
Re: Home Made Bottle Hack [David_Tris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
David_Tris wrote:
Those Gatorade Endurance bottles they hand out on the bike have huge tops, hope you're not planning on using them. Might work with a water bottle, but I'd end up with half the bottle rinsing my front wheel.

Not sure about other races, but at Mont Tremblant, I believe both the gatorade bottles, and bottled water they hand out, both are the spouted top type, so you can squirt a thin stream from them.

I like this idea by the OP. For me, I hate using a straw, just like using a normal bottle BTB and removing quickly to take a drink. But would still be nice to be able to refill it......might try this.
Quote Reply