Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The Science is Settled: Concealed Carry is Effective
Quote | Reply
It's science. You don't want to argue with science, do you?

FBI Report Highlights Effectiveness of Concealed Carry

"The FBI’s recently released “Active Shooter Incidents in the United States in 2016 and 2017” report [PDF] indicates 16 percent of crimes that qualify for inclusion in the paper were stopped by a law-abiding citizen with a gun. The figure represents more than a five-fold increase from the agency’s 2000-2013 study [PDF], when the figure was 3.1 percent.

The 2014 and 2015 report, the first biennial study on the topic released by the agency, adds statistical weight to the long-term trend. During those years, 5 percent of the attacks were stopped by armed citizens."

It's simple: More armed citizens means more crimes stopped by armed citizens. ;-)

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: The Science is Settled: Concealed Carry is Effective [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guns for everyone!!
Quote Reply
Re: The Science is Settled: Concealed Carry is Effective [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just today.

Armed civilian praised for stopping gunman after girl, mom shot at Oklahoma City restaurant

An armed citizen is being praised for stopping a gunman at a popular Oklahoma City restaurant. Two people, including a 12-year-old girl, were shot at Louie's Grill and Bar Thursday night. Two others were hurt.

Police said the suspect, a white male between 18 and 20 years old, was killed in the parking lot. He was wearing protective earmuffs and eye goggles that are usually worn at a shooting range. Police said he began shooting right during the dinner rush, and it was a civilian who brought it all to an end.

Dennis Will says his daughter Natalie Will and 12-year-old granddaughter Niah were walking into Louie's Bar & Grill Thursday night for a birthday party, when a gunman opened fire, reports CBS News' David Begnaud.

"She's still pretty shook up," Will said. "Evidently the shooter was in the tree line, and they were both shot by the front door.

Will says his daughter was grazed by a bullet, and his granddaughter shot. Natalie Will told CBS News they ran and hid in the restaurant bathroom with three other women until the shooting was over.

Police say about 100 people were inside Louie's when the shooting began and more than a dozen police cars swarmed the scene. The account of the shooting given by Oklahoma City police, seems to differ from the Will family.

"When the suspect leaves the restaurant, the civilian pulled out his handgun and shot the suspect and he killed the suspect," Capt. Bo Mathews of the Oklahoma City Police Department said.

Police are calling that civilian a hero, and crediting him with saving lives. Dennis Will said he is grateful the civilian was there.
"I would love to congratulate him, give him a big hug," Will said.

Twelve-year-old Niah is out of surgery, and the police said she is expected to survive. We asked police whether the armed civilian had a license to carry his weapon. Police said they did not know, but were looking into it. The police do not believe the mother and daughter were targeted.

https://www.cbsnews.com/...itizen-stops-gunman/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The FBI’s recently released “Active Shooter Incidents in the United States in 2016 and 2017” report [PDF] indicates 16 percent of crimes that qualify for inclusion in the paper were stopped by a law-abiding citizen with a gun.

The conclusion is obvious.

The reason there is so much crime in the U.S is because there aren't enough guns.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Curious what this means exactly, " crimes that qualify for inclusion in the paper". Is that crimes where someone was carrying or something else? And that study is quoting single digit numbers, I wouldn't draw too many conclusions. Small sample size fun and all. For a month or so Yasiel Puig was better than Babe Ruth.

The science is also settled that having a gun in the house makes you less safe. The greatest danger to you is you. The second greatest is your spouse. Why would you arm the people who most want to kill you?

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 Are these crimes now spilling out of gang and crime infested areas to places where more ordinary but armed citizens are? I'd feel better if the initial shooter incident never needed to be stopped.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: The Science is Settled: Concealed Carry is Effective [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
Guns for everyone!!

Except for folks like you. Ya ever see a snowflake on the range with a gun?? Super scary!
Quote Reply
Re: The Science is Settled: Concealed Carry is Effective [tritimmy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tritimmy wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
Guns for everyone!!

Except for folks like you. Ya ever see a snowflake on the range with a gun?? Super scary!

Not snowflake but snowball...

Quote Reply
Re: The Science is Settled: Concealed Carry is Effective [tritimmy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tritimmy wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
Guns for everyone!!

You can't keep her from her God-given right to have a gun. What are you some kind of gun control nut?

''The enemy isn't conservatism. The enemy isn't liberalism. The enemy is bulls**t.''

—Lars-Erik Nelson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tritimmy wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
Guns for everyone!!

Have you ever shot competitively on an outdoor range? I have. Up to 900 yards, though mostly 300 and 500 yards with .762s. This is the long range I've shot at:

Snowflake.
Quote Reply
Re: The Science is Settled: Concealed Carry is Effective [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
tritimmy wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
Guns for everyone!!

Have you ever shot competitively on an outdoor range? I have. Up to 900 yards, though mostly 300 and 500 yards with .762s. This is the long range I've shot at:

Snowflake.

Did they ever let you come back for a second try with those pasty white legs?

EDIT: updated to immortalize Kay's photo.

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Last edited by: MOP_Mike: May 25, 18 10:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
It's science. You don't want to argue with science, do you?

FBI Report Highlights Effectiveness of Concealed Carry

"The FBI’s recently released “Active Shooter Incidents in the United States in 2016 and 2017” report [PDF] indicates 16 percent of crimes that qualify for inclusion in the paper were stopped by a law-abiding citizen with a gun. The figure represents more than a five-fold increase from the agency’s 2000-2013 study [PDF], when the figure was 3.1 percent.

The 2014 and 2015 report, the first biennial study on the topic released by the agency, adds statistical weight to the long-term trend. During those years, 5 percent of the attacks were stopped by armed citizens."

It's simple: More armed citizens means more crimes stopped by armed citizens. ;-)

This is what I want, something that is 16% effective. This is overwhelming evidence that more guns are better. All we need is 84% more guns and we'll be able to stop all of the shooters. Come on people, let's get the number of guns over 5b in the US.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Re: The Science is Settled: Concealed Carry is Effective [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MOP_Mike wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
tritimmy wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
Guns for everyone!!

Snowflake.

Did they ever let you come back for a second try with those pasty white legs?

EDIT: updated to immortalize Kay's photo.

Whatever floats your boat I guess. It's not me in the photo.
Quote Reply
Re: The Science is Settled: Concealed Carry is Effective [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
Curious what this means exactly, " crimes that qualify for inclusion in the paper". Is that crimes where someone was carrying or something else? And that study is quoting single digit numbers, I wouldn't draw too many conclusions. Small sample size fun and all. For a month or so Yasiel Puig was better than Babe Ruth.

The science is also settled that having a gun in the house makes you less safe. The greatest danger to you is you. The second greatest is your spouse. Why would you arm the people who most want to kill you?

yep, that was my thought too. at most it's an interesting data point, among many. but to say that this settles so complex a problem in social science (let alone in basic statistics) is ridiculous.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply