Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

UPDATE: Critique My Swim Video: Guppy Week #3 + 7
Quote | Reply
Update for Week 7: Thank you all for the feedback! Here's me swimming today after a month of working on your feedback. Please critique.

150yd repeats at 1:17 pace: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tBRDyceuwI

Things I've been working on this month (5-7x per week):
- Hips up
- Entering hand first instead of elbow
- Hand lower than wrist lower than elbow lower than shoulder
- Swimming harder + pulling more water
- One day a week of sprints ~1000yd total on long rests (swimming with a 3x Olympian co-worker so he helps a bit...)
- Did my first ever practice swim meet - LCM 50, 100, 200, 400 free - so much fun - signed up for real master's LCM meet in July - 1500, 800, 400, 100, 50
- Flip turns - pushing off just before feet hit wall + two dolphins
- Eating more food
- Paces seems to be coming down a lot. These 4x(3x150s) were on 2:15 coming in at 1:55. Felt challenging but not all out.

Things I notice in this video:
- Recovery seems a bit extreme. Arms coming over the top of my head. Should hand enter water further away from centerline?
- Kick might be too big
- Head too low?
- Fingers still splay apart

Thanks!

Original Post: Guppy Challenge Week 3
Fishes, I need your help. Please share your thoughts.

200yd repeats at 1:25 pace: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq8xhrwQrwo

About me:
- 1:03-1:05 IM swim (want to get that sub 1:00)
- Started swimming at 21yrs (8 years ago)
- 8 IMs (PR at IMTX 9:50)
- No background in swimming. Started with total immersion youtube videos and went from there.
- During normal IM training doing 12k+ a week in pool 3x a week at least
- Spending the next couple months swimming 6-7x a week. (Kicking it off with the guppy challenge doing the tuna distance)

Things I noticed in video (but not sure if they are important):
- Left hand points outwards
- Pull is too deep/wide
- Hips drop
- Need to rotate more while keeping arms pointed forwards.
- Hand turns to soon at end of pull. Need to keep pushing water back all the way through.

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by: muymoo: Jun 19, 18 21:14
Quote Reply
Re: Critique My Swim Video: Guppy Week #3 [muymoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It really looks pretty good.

Look from the top, I feel like you’re not getting a lot of forward movement during your pull. Sometimes I think we can get too wrapped up in technique and sometimes forget to just focus on swimming harder

I agree the hand looks like it could push water back longer.

I’ll be interested to see what others have to say

Merge Multisport Founder & Head Coach
USAT Level 2 - Short & Long Course
Ironman Certified
Brevard, NC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big thing is getting your hips up higher. Other than that, it really doesn't look bad at all to me. tempo is good, DPS is decent, and there isn't anything glaring out that's terrible. Kick is maybe a bit too big, but the action is good.

your biggest gains are simply gonna be "pull harder"

There is something a little off with the stroke timing. I think you're rotating a little late, maybe??? FindingFreestyle is better at figuring out stuff like that than I am.

For the hip height, try playing around with an ankle band (no buoy) and use that with a catch-up and semi-catch-up drill. See what that does. You look like a pretty skinny dude, but when your hips are that low you are punching a hole through the water that's twice as big as it should be.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get your hips higher as others have mentioned. Also, cup your hands (including thumbs).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm an AOS and am way slower than you. I noticed that your extension is only a few inches from the surface. This may be putting you off balance (reaching up) and causing your hips to drop. From the swim videos I have seen and try to mimic(Effortless Swimming: Brenton Ford), the fingertips should be below wrist and the wrist below the elbow. Extension of hand should target armpit height.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're better than most triathletes in that you are clearly trying to analyze your stroke cf just doing more and harder.
Get a coach that can give you instant feedback in person. No ifs or buts. Good coaches aren't really satisfied smashing people with sets. They are far more satisfied teaching people the beauty of working with the water. You've got some sound foundations there and a thinking brain. You should do well.
PS More side shots either above (or better below the water) are more valuable for analysis.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess I agree with Jasoninhalifax. We all need to concentrate on good form all the time, but your issue looks more like you lack strength in the water. I'd incorporate some faster but shorter sets with longer rest intervals into my regimen. That will get those muscles stronger and faster. My guess is that your stroke will naturally evolve to the next level when that happens. (The mechanics are there).

You are also at a speed where you might consider working on ankle flexibility. Your kick isn't so important in IM, but getting those feet out of your hydrodynamic way by making them more flexible and able to point better couldn't hurt.
Last edited by: SH: May 26, 18 8:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) Too much glide with your forward arms. Deadspot in the stroke, maybe up your stroke rate a touch.

Which is causing

2) The hand to rise up. Exposing the palm to the water, and thus resistance and slowing you

Simple thing to remember:
Fingers lower than palm,
Palm lower than wrist,
Wrist lower than elbow.
Quote Reply
Re: UPDATE: Critique My Swim Video: Guppy Week #3 + 7 [muymoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bump! I thought updating original post would move to top. Guess not. Added new video from week #7 with comments.
Quote Reply