Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help me toss a price on my old Transition
Quote | Reply
My old race bike has been sitting around in the garage... original idea was to hang the frame on the wall in my home office for some nice décor.. but that hasn't happened so the next idea was make it a trainer queen but I find I usually just put my current bike on the trainer. So after a few years of sitting around I thought it might be time to find my old bike a new home with someone just getting into the sport. Current idea is to post it with the local community.. now SW classifieds.. but would love some thoughts on a fair reasonable price. 10yr bike but still looks new (but it has over 10k miles on it)... so hard to tag the right ballpark but does $1500 sound about right? more? less? Loved this bike.. set my IM PR on it which still stands. Old bike but still looks great with race wheels.

2008 Specialized S-Works Transition
SWorks Crank w/ TT rings
Ultegra 6800 di2 group (10sp) (internal battery)
Specialized Carbon Aerobar (stolen from my Shiv)
Tririg brakes
Includes 2nd seatpost w/ setback
Powertap, 1st gen wireless (very old but still works)
Wheels - Nothing exciting.

Last edited by: gregtay: May 24, 18 20:16
Quote Reply
Re: Help me toss a price on my old Transition [gregtay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is the size? and is the second seat post uncut?

I ask because those seat posts are getting harder and harder to come by and can make the bikes a real PIA to fit on the second hand market. It is one of those bikes where it is will be worth more if its a 54/56 just because you will have a much easier time finding people who can make it work. Even if sizing isn't a problem I think you are going to find the market difficult at $1500. You would need someone who knows a lot about what they are looking at to see the value in the bike because most of the value is in the details.

I hate to say it because I think you have the cleanest front end setup I have ever seen on a Transition but I would remove some of the upgrades and sell them separately if you still have the old bits. Specifically I would swap out the Tririgs and Aerobar for a cheaper setup and try to the bike as close to $1000 as possible. I think you can still end up around $1500 but I think it will take a very specific buyer to spent that kind of money on the whole package.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me toss a price on my old Transition [gregtay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Friend sold his Transition pro for $800 a few weeks ago. His wasn't nearly as optioned (mechanical shifters, no extra seatpost, no PT) So I think somewhere in the $1k-1500 range isn't unreasonable. These are still great bikes no doubt.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Help me toss a price on my old Transition [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, good data points. Maybe $1k makes someone happy with a decent ride for their first tri bike. Cheers.