Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Athlete Survey (beta)
Quote | Reply
a little help? i'm NOT asking you to TAKE this survey (per se). i will ask you to take it. i'd like a few of you to take it now, or just look it over. survey is here.

we'd like to get this right. this is for TBI. for its members, which are the businesses that serve triathlon. we take a lot of surveys from businesses, but fewer from consumers.

just, i want to get the survey right. so, if there are questions that you don't understand, seem odd to you, are oddly put, or you'd put them differently, please post these critiques here. there are 40ish questions. i think it'll take maybe 6 or 7 minutes to finish. if you do take the survey, tell me if that estimate is right.

and finally, don't exhaust yourself because i WILL ask you to FORMALLY take the survey and if you take it and we then make edits we can't use any results prior to our edits.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Athlete Survey (beta) [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I took the survey and it was closer to 10 minutes if you really choose to read the questions. As with any survey, there are a lot of questions that are more towards the middle of some areas but there really isn't a way around it.

The only suggestion I would have is for the questions about how much you like something and you have 3 choices, just put all 5 of the responses in and put them on a scale from 1 to 5.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Time estimate is right.

Questions were easy enough to comprehend. I think there were a couple of minor typo/grammar things, which I did not note, but I'm sure someone will note.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It took me just under 10 minutes, maybe I am a careful reader. For the event type question it wasn't clear if non-timed mass-entry bike events were included. They are common around here but I assumed they were meant to be excluded.

The short distance question I assume meant Swim AND Run were shortened, which was very undesirable because 2 out of 3 events were short. For me it wouldn't matter which 2 were chosen.

The 1/3 question took a while to wrap my head around it. Now that I think more about it I want to go back and re-read but Survey Monkey won't let me back in!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For clarity, on #13 I assume a non-drafting race, and I assume "significant", not incidental drafting.

For the #26,27,28 questions, perhaps add "Presence of race officials/marshalls on bike course" or something like that to one of them.

About 5 minutes for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6-7 minutes is about right.

The survey seems to make assumptions that races are readily available. For example how likely to race in a MTB or gravel triathlon. I don't have any such races near me so I must say very unlikely. If the question were about my desire to race in such events if they were local it would be a very different answer.

Also makes an assumption that I am a member of a tri club or Google and Facebook Groups in Q16.

The survey also has a lot of questions about friends. Given how most people here interact with eachother,I find it hard to imagine many posters have any friends.

Q24 is about how escalating entry fees affect my decision to enter. It is not as simple as the answers would suggest. A big part of a decision to register early or late with escalating fees depends on the refund/transfer conditions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The options for "how likely..." questions don't jive with me. Very likely, likely, neither likely nor unlikely; then we have less likely and very unlikely. If you use less likely, you have to compare it to something else, e.g., how likely are you to register for a race with a bike course full of blockers vs. a race where no blockers are on the bike course when you're going up a roller at 27 kph? My suggestion is to change "less likely" to just "unlikely" OR add a reference comparison within the question.

16) suggest adding other social media sites. Facebook is Zuckerberg's alleged hub for fake news.
17) what is "a nice way"?
18) none would apply to me; suggest adding career commitments
22) what is something if it isn't "very fair", "fair", "unfair", or "very unfair"? What even is "very fair" or "very unfair"?
Quote Reply
Re: Athlete Survey (beta) [TIT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TIT wrote:
how likely to race in a MTB or gravel triathlon. I don't have any such races near me so I must say very unlikely. If the question were about my desire to race in such events if they were local it would be a very different answer.

very good point. thx.

TIT wrote:
The survey also has a lot of questions about friends. Given how most people here interact with eachother,I find it hard to imagine many posters have any friends.

;-)

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Athlete Survey (beta) [smilingassassin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
smilingassassin wrote:
what is "a nice way"?

meaning, he didn't make it a condition of entry, or of a discount. i'll look at the text on that.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Former survey research professional here. Let me see what I come up with...
q1 - Have some kind of option for "does not apply to me" - some here are former tri racers, so that option will show you those numbers - or change the question to "if you had to decide between days to race..."
q2 - I'd change that around to say "how much less likely are you to register for a race if it were on a weekend day you do not prefer?"
q3 - You're asking about 2 aspects here - the likelihood of racing with/without friends and likelihood of racing up to 4 hours away. I'd separate that and ask "Are you more or less likely to race a local race if you have friends also racing? 1. Much more likely 2. Somewhat more, 3. Doesn't matter 4. Somewhat less likely 5. Much less likely. Then you can ask the distance questions.
q5 - I'd remove the "Swim & Run" and "Swim & Bike" options so that you are just left with the 3 and thus you find out which of the 3 has the biggest impact.
q6 - Money questions are tough, because if you're asking me about value, then why wouldn't I choose the cheapest option? Generally the best way to go about these is to ask on a scale for each price point where they think the quality/value lies.
q7 - change scale to "somewhat likely" and "somewhat unlikely".
q8 - same as q7
q9 - Might want to specify "regardless of whether you own a triathlon bike"
q11 - "offended" is a touchy thing, because you're putting words into the respondent's mouth. They might not consider themselves offended. I'd change the wording to ask how likely people are to cancel their registration given surprise fees.
q12 - Pretty much everyone is going to answer "a great deal" or "a lot" because why not? Not a useful question if q11 is changed.
q13 - Legal or illegal drafting?
q14 - Make it a 5-point scale like the other questions (though when you collect the data you'll want to look at the top 2 and bottom 2 choices, grouped)
q15 - Same
q16 - You might want to add other options like instagram, twitter, etc.
q24 - Because it's related to q22 you might want to switch places with q23

If you need any more help, let me know!

@brad_glasgow
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well I'm clearly a special needs case. I spent 26 min on the survey. I took notes but still, jeez I'm slow.

Q5, Awkward wording. How desirable would the shortening ... affect your decision ... Suggest remove adjective desireable.

Q19, Fairness of transfer. I was unsure - was I to assume those options were offered for free? Or was I to assume I paid for a race protection and then that's the options I got? Scenario impacts my response.

Q20, Depends on the race as I assume some operate to different margins (eg my local 200 participant race vs IM-you-name-it).

Q24, Answer ranges for an A race I'm building my season around vs filler events.

Q27, Same issue as Q24.

Q34, What does most mean? Most # of registrations? Or most # of hours I spend doing the race? If I race 5 sprints and 1 full iron a year, how should I answer?

Good luck with your endeavor.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought it was clear. A little surprised that there was no innovative multi sport options mentioned. Maybe include internet based races, or Spartan races, color runs. It seems to me like many “newer” triathletes are finding different challenges.
Not that I have desire for anything other than the traditional road Tri ;)

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Took me a little longer than 10 min.

Starting at question 26, it was a little confusing asking for 3 answers but given 5 choices (I think)
Quote Reply