Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New to Power, What to Display?
Quote | Reply
Tried to search because I'm sure it's been asked a million times, but couldn't find it. Go ahead and point me to a pre-existing thread if you know of one.

I'm going to install my first power meter tonight and am looking for what to display when riding.
What do people use to see their basic power?
NP? Avg? How many seconds?
Quote Reply
Re: New to Power, What to Display? [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd say average 3 sec power.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got a power meter + cycling computer a few months ago and found this thread helpful: https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...with_power_P4523171/

For what it's worth, I currently show:

Racing:
Elapsed Time
30 second power
Speed
Mileage
IF

Training:
The above, plus cadence and L/R power balance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree that 3 second power is a good place to start just to give you some feedback on how your power can change as you vary your effort. Maybe include lap power if you plan to start doing some power based intervals.

As you get more familiar with what you can hold, and what some of the power numbers actually mean, then you can start including fields like normalized power and TSS on your main or secondary screens. For now though, they won't really mean much to you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The screen I use 99% of the time:

3sec Power
Lap Time
Lap Power
Cadence / Heart Rate

Auto Lap set to 10k, unless doing ~15min or longer intervals then Auto Lap is turned off. All the other screens are just "extra" data that I flip through on occasion.

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3 second average power
Average power
Speed
Distance time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3 sec power definitely. I also like to have average power mainly for racing as I can see what is happening later in a race especially as I am fatiguing. With an undulating course and finding it hard to hold an even number I can get an idea of where I am at. IM Cairns in a few weeks I have looked at all my IM races and seen every race scenarios of generally I ride slightly higher but inevitably fade on the back end and this time will try and hold closer to what seems my average power and hope to not see it drop away on the back end so much. The rest you can analyse from the data later unless you want a lap power for intervals.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use Average and 3 second power......and I know you didnt ask for this other stuff but I use speed, elapsed time, cadence, current HR(or HRR )and average HR (or HRR), time of day..I followed GPLamas advice on my Bolt and find that it works quite well for me.

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use :
- 3 sec power
-10 Sec power
- np
- heart rate
- cadance
and total time so i don't have to count laps.
Quote Reply