Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2018 IMLP [JonathanNYC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting the dev write-up, incredibly helpful. In case anyone else is wondering, below is his response on clear vs. tinted as it relates to the sun.

Goggles choice, tinted or clear?

There is no direct sun in your eyes during the race time. Clear is fine.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 IMLP [bryguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dev is unfortunately full of shit on the whole "no sun in your eyes." What he means to write is "there's no sun in the eyes when you go to sight." Sun definitely impacts when breathing.

That said, clear goggles are still fine (it's what I've worn the last 4 times up to LP).

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 IMLP [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Clearly it's time to bubble-wrap you for the remainder of taper.

Worst comes to worst, I'll probably have a cooler of beer somewhere around the Courtyard.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No need to swim right on the cable, just need to be 10-15ft near it. **Hint** Start at back of faster wave and just follow the faster swimmers wake. Swim is 6-8 people across rolling start, not a mass start, so there is some separation. 2nd loop is easier to swim near the cable.
Quote Reply
Race Morning Tips? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any tips from LP veterans on when, exactly, to make our way to transition on race morning? I've done a couple 70.3s, which were pretty straightforward logistics-wise. When should we get to transition to give ample time for pumping tires, loading up nutrition, and getting in a quick warm-up swim?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 IMLP [jdais] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Super helpful. Thank you guys!
Quote Reply
Re: Race Morning Tips? [w3bradley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you staying within walking distance of transition? I am staying about 500 yards away and I usually get there about 5:30 and after I'm done I head back to my room and grab my family and head to the water at about 6:15. If you have to drive to transition I think you want to be parked by 5/5:15 but others will have a better idea.

14X Ironman. Still slow but working on it.
Quote Reply
Re: Race Morning Tips? [dcfan40] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I'm up the hill from Mirror Lake. Probably a 15-minute walk from transition. Stayed there when I came up to train last month. Picked the spot specifically because it's in town and I didn't want my family to have to deal with driving, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Race Morning Tips? [w3bradley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Morning is easy because you dropped bike, t1, and t2 bags day before. Just pump up tires, load bottles/nutrition, and have a Sherpa to drop off your bike(ice rink) & run(about 1/4 mile from swim start along lake run course) special needs. Bring a change of clothes and leave in your morning bag. Gets cold later in the afternoon/evening.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I, too, had a tendinitis issue pop up out of nowhere two weeks ago, in my right hip flexor. I had a cortisone shot last week that only helped a little (and am now in PT, which also helps a little). The injury is progressing/healing as it should, but not in time for this race. So, it looks like I am walking the marathon.

I am at peace with what my race time will be (and past being bummed out that I can't "use" all of my training).... What I am really struggling with is how I am going to mentally handle the walk feeling like forever. This is a serious question - can I walk with a book?
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 IMLP [minnie1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
minnie1 wrote:
I, too, had a tendinitis issue pop up out of nowhere two weeks ago, in my right hip flexor. I had a cortisone shot last week that only helped a little (and am now in PT, which also helps a little). The injury is progressing/healing as it should, but not in time for this race. So, it looks like I am walking the marathon.

I am at peace with what my race time will be (and past being bummed out that I can't "use" all of my training).... What I am really struggling with is how I am going to mentally handle the walk feeling like forever. This is a serious question - can I walk with a book?

I have intentions of walk running, but I am a big man and may be down to a walk by the back half of the marathon. If so, we can walk and chat.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 IMLP [cmd111183] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would love that! I'll be looking for a big man.... but what's your bib number? I am a very little woman.... bib 1112.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 IMLP [minnie1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweet! I'll keep an eye out. Bib #1794. I'm from Philly Tri Club, so I'll have a bright ass green kit on too. Hard to miss. You'll see a lot of us out there though!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, looking at the forecast for Sunday, nobody will be able to blame heat for a bad race. Off and on rain and lots of cloud cover and a huge go around 70.

I’m still having some pain in my left leg, and have no clue how my run will go - if it goes at all. Getting my 3rd EPAT treatment this morning before heading towards LP later today.

I hope everyone races to their potential.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Right on the weather..... I WISH I were worried about the weather. I, too, am still worried about my hip. I had a second injection two days ago (non steroid version) and it's feeling fine now, but all I've done is swim. We'll see what happens Sunday. If I end up walking the run, I plan on being very chatty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That was the forecast for last year. It held through the first loop of the bike, then it suddenly got sunny around the run and...well, carnage ensued. Fingers crossed for consistent weather for you guys (and speedy healing vibes to you).

We won't show up until late Friday night, and if you see some moron struggling climbing up Keene on Saturday AM early, that's me. Say hi (or give me a tow rope).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JonathanNYC wrote:
cdkayak wrote:
JonathanNYC wrote:
jdais wrote:
I always use lightly tinted goggles. No issues with sighting, since there is a cable and a thousand feet to follow.

Thanks!

How important is sighting to this course? Of course everyone should be responsible for their own navigation, but it seems like you're basically just swimming in a big pack and playing follow-the-leader. If you're to the right/left of the cable by 10-20 feet, can you still see it underwater? I'm having trouble picturing what this legendary cable actually looks like...

The cable is about 5 feet under water and is used to anchor the buoys for rowing races. (cable is about 1/2 or 3/4 inch in diameter?) It's usually easy to see when you're about 5' to either side if not more. It's great to follow when training, but everyone wants to be on it during the race so a PIA. In the race I swim about 10 - 15 to the left of it, easy to see the buoys and avoid the scrum. Between the buoys you can sight off the mass of people fighting over the cable. :)

Super helpful - thank you! Given your description, not sure why anybody would want to be part of the horde fighting to swim over the cable? What's the advantage over swimming slightly wider to the side and just following the crowd?

I stayed about 10-15 to the left of the cable, and since I naturally breath to the right, I was able to just sight off the mob. I literally didn't sight the entire swim, it was about as close to a "pool" swim as you will ever get in open water. If you are decently strong swimmer, you won't be on the cable for the second lap either. I found the second lap to be just as difficult to get close to the cable and easily lost about a minute thinking I could use it more. Got slowed up a couple times as I got into lapped traffic.
Quote Reply

Prev Next