Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New: Alden-Carbon 15º areobar pad cups
Quote | Reply
I was looking for ~15º slant to my pads without having to add spacers and also wanted the ability to run narrower pads than what the stock Felt pieces allowed (even touching I still needed about 3cm less width). While I’m not sure I will stick with ultra narrow elbows I did want the ability to run it. Since I loved Glen’s gamin mount https://www.alden-carbon.com/aerobar-mounts I emailed him to see what he could do if anything at all.

What Glen came up with is short of perfection. His early drawings were impressive and his follow up prototype as well as the finished product left me eager to get these on my rig. The bayonet 3 pad clamps have an interesting bolt spacing and because of this Glen and I decided it best for me to do the drilling.

Basically, I wanted to lay the old cups on the new ones, mark the holes, and drill them with my stepped drill bit; however, there just wasn’t the same platform on both and this wasn’t going to accomplish what I wanted. Therefore, I measured, measured again and somehow while I got the holes right where I thought I wanted them it didn’t give me enough room for a second or third set to allow for some adjustment. If you provide Glen your specs he can drill the cups however you desire. Also, I’m using Felt’s washer to spread the load over a larger surface as well as giving me some fudge factor on angling in/out.

Initial thoughts are that the quality, fit, and finish surpass my expectation, which isn’t easy to do. However, if I am being honest I am not sure I like the look of the cups on the bike. The pieces by themselves are a thing of beauty and I really got exactly what I was looking for, but it’s going to take some time to grow on me I think. Also, the sides might be a bit high for some as they do lock you into the cups.

For now I am using some 1mm foam padding that I had laying around and since this compresses to almost nothing i’m really not getting much out of it where I need it. But, the cups support my arms exactly where I need it. So, outside of some very stiff bumps I might be able to get away with very little foam. I plan on doing some riding this weekend on the DA and i’ll report back my thoughts on the comfort and ride characteristics of the cups.

Current bar and extension combo is Felt Bayonet3 Devox with Zipp Vuka 110 extensions. It should be noted that these pads are universal fit and can be trimmed to any length inside the specs of the drawing below. For those that are interested I went with 70mm width to accommodate a narrower spacing (Felt OE are 85mm).

https://www.alden-carbon.com/angled-aerobar-pad-cups

My YouTubes

Last edited by: LAI: May 26, 18 5:34
Quote Reply
Re: New: Alden-Carbon 15º areobar pad cups [LAI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nice, they look a lot like my wattshop ones. Their solution to the open space was a 3d printed insert.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: New: Alden-Carbon 15º areobar pad cups [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dont like the giant canyon in them and that is a massive amount of frontal vertical face area added
Quote Reply
Re: New: Alden-Carbon 15º areobar pad cups [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
nice, they look a lot like my wattshop ones.

They were certainly an inspiration.

Quote:
Their solution to the open space was a 3d printed insert.

I like that idea. Fishbum suggested using some high density foam, but I really don't feel like I need support in that area. However, others may find they do. I guess i'll know more after I put some miles on them.

My YouTubes

Last edited by: LAI: May 24, 18 5:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like them, what's the price?
Quote Reply
Re: New: Alden-Carbon 15º areobar pad cups [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
that is a massive amount of frontal vertical face area added

Massive seems a bit strong, but there is definitely more than what angled spacers would present.

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Re: New: Alden-Carbon 15º areobar pad cups [lmar77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure Glen has firmed that up yet, but I think it'll be ~$100. But best to contact him on that.

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Re: New: Alden-Carbon 15º areobar pad cups [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeffp wrote:
dont like the giant canyon in them and that is a massive amount of frontal vertical face area added

Yeah, the canyon will hurt on the long course.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Luis,

Thank you for sharing my latest product on the forum for others to see that might be interested a solution like this, it was great working with you to get real world input on this product.

For others that have posted comments, I have included my feedback below.

Currently I am in the process of getting this part with more information on my new website so others can learn about the details of this part.

As far as the center opening (canyon) , I am working on a 3D printed filler piece as well that can be placed in this area so the foam pad can have full contact. I hope to show this piece in the next couple of days on my website.

As far as frontal area, yes, unfortunately the design direction limits the frontal area to what is needed to support the structure. I angled the front surface to try to eliminate the direct contact with the air and direct the air to the bottom of the cups.

Thank you everyone for the comments as this allows me to work on making my products better.

Glen
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bit of an update: Did some outdoor intervals on Friday afternoon and a longer outside ride on Sunday, 12 miles and 26 miles, respectively. I am blessed with a lot of glassy smooth roads out my way, but I also have a few that are crappy enough to get a good feel for how the pads/cups would handle rough roads. I am running a single layer of 1mil foam on the front of the cups (closest to the shifters) and two layers at the rear of the cups. It's all I need as I hang the bony bit of my elbow off the back of the cup and use my flesh for extra cushion. I experienced no issues with bumps/holes or pressure from the lack of support from the "cavity". Glen is sending out a 3D Printed filler piece for me to test out and with this I am sure it will be even better, but won't be sure until it gets here. Anyhow, if you need some tilt and rather not run spacers the Alden-Carbon cups are pretty awesome. Also, I update the original post with the link to the product page.

My YouTubes

Quote Reply