Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Can you bargain with debt collectors? [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:
Nova wrote:
AlanShearer wrote:
Another issue is the amount of the outstanding bill, as that's a big factor in whether they will eventually sue if they cannot collect. Other factors are their perception of your ability to pay. Some collection agencies will pull a credit report to get some picture of your debt load. They won't want to go through the time and expense of a lawsuit if the chances of collecting are still slim. Others are trigger happy with a lawsuit, but sometimes an online search can give you a clue as to how likely they are to sue. You have leverage, but to the extent that a lawsuit is a possibility, they also have leverage.

I'd call the doctor's office and insist upon dealing with them directly.

The bill is 400 bucks. I will call the Dr office, but I'm gonna let it ride until my head cools off a little. If they have already dinged my credit then it'll take forever to get it taken care of, so I'm in no rush.

You never know, but it's unlikely they would go to court to collect on $400.

If I could afford it, I'd consider paying the full amount, but if they agree in writing that, upon receipt, they'll remove it from any credit reports. I'd then pull all three reports and challenge any entries. It should then take 30 to 60 days to clear the report.

If the ding on credit doesn't matter, then I might consider sending the doctor's office what you are willing to pay, say $200, and consider it done, even with any negotiated agreement. They could still pursue collections, but the chances of a lawsuit would increase even further. Or if you have no problem not paying the bill and running the risk of a lawsuit, just don't pay and see if you can run out the statute of limitations.

At this particular moment, that's where I'm standing. That just means in a few weeks I'll freak out and pay the stupid bill.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix
Quote Reply

Prev Next