Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: More than 1 head unit? [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
dunno wrote:
JoeO wrote:
What about one of the massive, Garmin 1000 - sized units. As big as a cell phone, practically. Not big enough?

I don't understand why celL phones aren't used more? Far better everything than a Garmin and these days plenty of battery.

"I'm going to go with battery life for $200, Alex."

Your rides are more than 12 hours? Wow impressive...

So you’re getting 12 hours of battery life on a smartphone running apps, with backlight always on, with location services on, and Bluetooth or whatever else running???

Sure.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: The GMAN: May 24, 18 11:44
Quote Reply
Re: More than 1 head unit? [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why are you speaking for everybody else? Is it so that you feel better about insinuating that I am a douche? Or are you arrogant enough to think that everyone shares your opinion. Speak for yourself mate, it all safe in here.
Quote Reply
Re: More than 1 head unit? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do run 2 head units at times, partially for the ability to have all the data I want on screen all the time and partially because I don't always trust my second unit, Bryton 330. I primarily used a Garmin 310 XT until the power button started to fail. I just leave it on all the time, sitting on the charger now, but if it got drained or turned off and I couldn't get it turned back on, I needed something else. I got a Bryton 330, which I like for the most part, but have had some issues getting data off. So, if I'm going on a ride where I really don't want to lose the data, I'll but both on. And I found that for racing, I like to have both. Bryton is on an out front mount and the Garmin goes on the handlebars.
Quote Reply
Re: More than 1 head unit? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
dunno wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
dunno wrote:
JoeO wrote:
What about one of the massive, Garmin 1000 - sized units. As big as a cell phone, practically. Not big enough?

I don't understand why celL phones aren't used more? Far better everything than a Garmin and these days plenty of battery.

So you’re getting 12 hours of battery life on a smartphone running apps, with backlight always on, with location services on, and Bluetooth or whatever else running???

Sure.

How long you worked at Garmin?

iPhone 8 13 hours play back test

https://www.google.com.au/...8-plus-and-iphone-x/

I don’t know but I’ve found watching Netflix etc I can easily get 6+hours which I’m guessing is more than enough for most people’s rides.

Just seems we are all locked into this mindset that you need a Garmin or wahoo or whatever when the most feature packed and aerodynamic head unit is sitting in your pocket.
Quote Reply
Re: More than 1 head unit? [hairypiernas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm just that arrogant 😉
Quote Reply
Re: More than 1 head unit? [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
dunno wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
dunno wrote:
JoeO wrote:

Sure.

I don’t know but I’ve found watching Netflix etc I can easily get 6+hours which I’m guessing is more than enough for most people’s rides.

Just seems we are all locked into this mindset that you need a Garmin or wahoo or whatever when the most feature packed and aerodynamic head unit is sitting in your pocket.

Where did I say you needed a Garmin or anything?

I simply said you're not getting 12 hours of battery life. You're also not getting 6 hours using it as a bike computer. Those tests and your personal Netflix anecdote are great and all but...

50% brightness as run in those tests isn't going to cut it outside in the bright sun.
Bluetooth wasn't running. So if the phone needs to connect to any sensors on bike or body, BT needs to be on.
Location services wasn't on, which is something you need if you want to use any type of GPS app functionality.
Hot temps outside.

I tried to use my iPhone 7+ as a bike computer once and it lasted about 90 minutes with brightness set high, screen always on, BT running to connect to power meter and HR, Strava app running for metrics/GPS, location services on, and in 90+ degree heat. Meanwhile my bike computer lasts like 15+ hours doing the same thing.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: More than 1 head unit? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
dunno wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
dunno wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
dunno wrote:
JoeO wrote:

Sure.

Where did I say you needed a Garmin or anything?

I simply said you're not getting 12 hours of battery life. You're also not getting 6 hours using it as a bike computer. Those tests and your personal Netflix anecdote are great and all but...

50% brightness as run in those tests isn't going to cut it outside in the bright sun.
Bluetooth wasn't running. So if the phone needs to connect to any sensors on bike or body, BT needs to be on.
Location services wasn't on, which is something you need if you want to use any type of GPS app functionality.
Hot temps outside.

I tried to use my iPhone 7+ as a bike computer once and it lasted about 90 minutes with brightness set high, screen always on, BT running to connect to power meter and HR, Strava app running for metrics/GPS, location services on, and in 90+ degree heat. Meanwhile my bike computer lasts like 15+ hours doing the same thing.

The battery life of the 8 is much better than the 7 but I will try it this weekend to see how it goes. I always have Bluetooth, wifi and location services turned on with screen at 100% brightness and for a normal business trip which involves 1hr taxi web surfing/emailing, 1 hour in the lounge web surfing/emailing, 4.5 flight using phone with wifi to connect to planes IFE and then another hour taxi ride from airport to destination and have plenty of charge-that’s pretty intensive use over a 6 hour period.
Quote Reply
Re: More than 1 head unit? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My Wahoo ELEMNT Bolt has tons of customizable "pages" as well as zoom buttons to increase size (which in turn reduces the metrics).

I've held on to my Cycleops GPS unit because I don't know how to calibrate my Cycleops PowerBeam Pro without it.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply

Prev Next