Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Starting bike build
Quote | Reply
I’ve decided I’m going to start my own custom charbon build. Road bike mostly for pleasure/back up. I want to start slowly but surely getting what I need for it. What are the small things I should start with?

IF I can I want 10 speed Shimano or Shimano capatibal since my TT bike is ultegra 10speed. That way I have a steed full of ready to go capatible parts. Otherwise I don’t even mind trickling down to 8 or 9 speed. Especially given the durability.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: Starting bike build [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I was starting a new build I would seriously look here for a Groupset

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/groupsets?f=2259

I know most of those are 11 speed though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would match your TT bike's drivetrain components, if you think you will be there for a while. To your point, it makes life a lot easier for swapping stuff (wheels mainly) between bikes in an emergency.

Spend time researching the crankset. The frame, crankset, and bottom bracket are a matched interdependent set. The crankset does not need to match the rest of the drivetrain. And, it is way easier to find a good (or good used) 10-speed crankset.

You can use anyone's brakes.

The rest of the stuff is pure personal preference, as long as they are compatible: frameset, seatpost, saddle, stem, wheels, handlebars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First thing you need is a frame / fork. That will dictate much of the rest of the build (eg seatpost diameter, BB type, brake type, headset, stem length / rise)

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:
I’ve decided I’m going to start my own custom charbon build.

Get a torque wrench, too.
Quote Reply
Re: Starting bike build [Durhamskier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
beer

always helps me do everything
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A work stand and it's own area to work on it. Seriously, it makes a big difference in the experience.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply