Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Lousy Riders at Chat 70.3 [TIT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TIT wrote:
There is clearly more to it than OP has said. You don't get spat on and called out for drafting if you tried to pass, get blocked and then take some action to ensure you are riding within the rules.

That Triathlon Tarren guy claimed he got spat on and someone blew their nose on him in Texas..I hope no one thinking of entering the sport reads this stuff. Makes triathletes sound like a pack of animals
Quote Reply
Re: Lousy Riders at Chat 70.3 [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Speaking of lousy riders and drafting, there is a great thread on the Facebook Chatty 70.3 group. A guy basically has race photos of some woman drafting him for 15 miles. Others recognized her and found photos of her drafting them at other races. Cheated her way to a top AG bike split.

Don't drown. Don't crash. Don't walk.
Quote Reply
Re: Lousy Riders at Chat 70.3 [rotosound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rotosound wrote:
Speaking of lousy riders and drafting, there is a great thread on the Facebook Chatty 70.3 group. A guy basically has race photos of some woman drafting him for 15 miles. Others recognized her and found photos of her drafting them at other races. Cheated her way to a top AG bike split.

You cant tell anything about drafting from static pictures. Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Lousy Riders at Chat 70.3 [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure. I know. She could just be passing, being passed, whatever. I have several photos of me being passed, but it looks like I'm glued to someone's wheel. I just got a kick out of his story as it was compelling and funny with supposed photographic evidence.

Don't drown. Don't crash. Don't walk.
Quote Reply
Re: Lousy Riders at Chat 70.3 [rotosound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love how so many are coming to the defense of the guys that were blocking the course. “Well you had to have done something to cause their actions”....lol. I’ve rode other IM races and blocking happens far too often. It makes me wonder why these people would defend crappy riders that even spit on someone and then justify it. They seem to be of the same mindset of the guy that spit on me. It’s a pretty sad way to think.
Quote Reply
Re: Lousy Riders at Chat 70.3 [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"It makes me wonder why these people would defend crappy riders that even spit on someone and then justify it"

It's not so much that people are defending the crappy riders as much as making fun of someone getting so worked up about something that happens in every single triathlon ever that they run to the internet to whine about it.

Why don't you consider some things you could have done differently to avoid the (several) conflicts you were involved in.
Quote Reply
Re: Lousy Riders at Chat 70.3 [eye3md] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eye3md wrote:

This is very frustrating and I've had it happen in a lot of races recently. People riding side by side having a conversation during the race. Usually sitting up and wearing an aero helmet. As I tell my wife, there are some people who should NEVER be on the left, but they will ride there (very slowly) and then block the entire time. I guess they think if they stay there, people will just go around them and they don't have to do much weaving in and out of traffic.......though. most of the time, they are going so slow that they are not passing anyone where they would have to weave in and out.

Sort of like 1/2 the population drives on the highway? Just sit in the left lane and make everyone else weave around you, why should we expect anything different in a race?

Some random guy yelled at me at IMNC for passing him on the right, while he was hugging the center line with no one else around. (before I get flamed, he was going very slow, and yelling "on your left" ahead of the pass, I would have had to slow down significantly to give him time to get over).
Quote Reply
Re: Lousy Riders at Chat 70.3 [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apparently my sarcasm radar was off, and it hit me at grumpy time. I'll try eating a snickers or something.

Team Zoot
2019 Sponsors: Canyon Bikes, Garmin, Smith Optics, Gatorade, Zealios Skin Care & Sun Protection, Speedfill Products, Base Performance, Ottolock, Theragun, Boco Gear, ORR Carbon Wheel Systems, Giddy Up Multisport
Quote Reply
Re: Lousy Riders at Chat 70.3 [djhuff7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Reading this I would love to dump some of these complainers in the middle of a RR or crit rolling along at 30mph with 30 guys shoulder to shoulder.

"Dude, dude, I'm trying to pass. Passing, on your left. You're blocking!!!"

I wonder if you could take what they say about soccer and rugby and apply it to triathlon and bike racing: "soccer is a gentleman's sport played by thugs and rugby a thug's sport played by gentlemen".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same thing happened to me at Chattanooga. Coming out of transition and some dude was trying to put on his shoes and riding right in the middle of the road. I get it. You're unstable while putting on your shoes. I'm going to do the same thing, but don't yell "you have to pass on your left" at me when I come around you on the right and you're wobbling all over the course.

How did you do at North Carolina? I loved that bike course but wheels fell apart the last few miles on the run.
Quote Reply
Re: Lousy Riders at Chat 70.3 [TriathlonJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did it in 2016 with the headwind on 421. Lots of things went wrong on that bike, but I was on my roadie and pushed a little too hard on the "out" into the wind that my legs were pretty toasted. I ran well, slowly, but consistent until about 11-12 miles in when things really started to hurt.

I hope at some point they bring back the full. It was better when Setup did it, smaller more manageable, but that ship has sailed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
djhuff7 wrote:
I did it in 2016 with the headwind on 421. Lots of things went wrong on that bike, but I was on my roadie and pushed a little too hard on the "out" into the wind that my legs were pretty toasted. I ran well, slowly, but consistent until about 11-12 miles in when things really started to hurt.

I hope at some point they bring back the full. It was better when Setup did it, smaller more manageable, but that ship has sailed.

I did the half at NC in 2016. That wind on the bike was brutal. I expended far too much energy passing draft packs which killed my run.
Quote Reply
Re: Lousy Riders at Chat 70.3 [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just re calibrate your expectations. If you think of it as a great big sportive then you'll accept that there are 1000's of randomly skilled people on the road and not enough room for everyone to enjoy the draft-free experience.

I raced a 70.3 once where if you could do a sub 5:30 then you got to go in the front wave, just after the pros. So even with my comedy swim speed I was soon able to find pretty open roads. They should do that option all the time.
Quote Reply

Prev Next