Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tacx Flux vs. Elite Direto
Quote | Reply
Anyone used both and had a preference? My dumb trainer just expired and I need to jump on a replacement.

I've read every forum thread and review on the entire internet and this is my short pro con list:

Elite Direto
Pro: Great thru axle compatability. Works with standard thru axle, big plus for future compatibility and my existing cx bikes RAT thru axle standard.
Con: Reports of buggy disconnections and hoops to jump through repairing

Tacx Flux
Pro: Looks cooler. Seems slightly better in regards to buggy connection issues.
Con: Thru axle use needs an adapter (added cost) plus I'll need a separate axle conversion for my cx bikes.

...or I could pony up more cash for a kickr
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx Flux vs. Elite Direto [commendatore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Direto: No connection issues in my experience with the Direto. This isn't a topic I've seen pop up, at all(?)

Flux: Watch for rear derailleur clearance compatibility on the current model. Unit had a few teething problems early on which appear to have been resolved. YMMV.

Shane Miller - GPLama
YouTube | Web | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx Flux vs. Elite Direto [gplama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gplama wrote:
Direto: No connection issues in my experience with the Direto. This isn't a topic I've seen pop up, at all(?)

Flux: Watch for rear derailleur clearance compatibility on the current model. Unit had a few teething problems early on which appear to have been resolved. YMMV.

I do believe there are some known issues with bluetooth and the Direto. I only use ANT+ and it's been rock solid. Got the Direto in January and it has been a fantastic investment. The only negative I have on the device is that the Erg mode does seem to take a couple seconds to dial in a change in power. Once I got used to that it doesn't bother me at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haven’t used both but I do have the Direto. Haven’t had any connection issues other than I forgot to plug in my Ant+ dongle to the computer once and got stupid pissed before I realized what an idiot I was being. It’s surprisingly quiet and I find it responsive on Zwift both free riding and in ERG mode. I’ve stuck a road bike, a Tri bike, and an MTB on it at different times and all had no issues.

I rode on a Kickr a couple times and honestly thought I liked the Direto better though the difference seemed small. Also the Kickr was a couple years older...

Blog | Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx Flux vs. Elite Direto [gplama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also have no connectivity problems at all with my Direto. May help that I turn it off at the wall after every ride? Who knows.. but it has worked 100% for me for a good 4 months so far.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Direto is fantastic have had mine since November not a problem at all...the ERG mode issue is one that lots of trainers have issues with. That being said if you need a trainer now then I highly recommend the Direto...but if you can wait new trainers are coming out in a few months and you know there will be something that has the same features for less money this coming trainer season.

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx Flux vs. Elite Direto [TizzleDK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just to confuse you a bit more, the Cycleops Hammer is on sale now for $960 through 5/28.
So at less then $70 more then the Direto that might be the way to go, also having US made and Based customer service.

----------------------------
http://www.instagram.com/cyclewise
Last edited by: trener1: May 23, 18 12:29
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx Flux vs. Elite Direto [trener1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You forget or rather might not know that many sites that allow coupons work on Elite trainers (and Cycleops, Tacx too). Kickr...not so much unless it is REI or some special that is approved by Wahoo.

I picked up my Direto for a total of $644 shipped to my door brand new. Bought from backcountry using a 20% off coupon and then Active Junky referral site for another 9% cash back rewards at the time then a little bit cash back from my rewards credit card (another 1.5%).

Memorial day coupons are going on now actually for Backcountry (20% coupon), Competitive Cyclist (21% coupon) and REI (20% annual member coupon). Now if you can get another 20% off of $960 that is a freaking steal but I suspect that is a sale using a 20% off coupon from one of the above sites or similar since the math works out to 20% exactly.
Last edited by: loxx0050: May 23, 18 14:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had a direto for almost 8 months now, and put lots of mileage on it with zwift. Agree with all the positive comments that have been made. I would add that I had a good experience with customer service. Two months ago, I found that that the resistance was not changing as it was supposed to with the watopia terrain. It turned out to be a problem with the circuit board. Customer service was very responsive. They helped me to diagnose the problem, and quickly couriered me a new circuit board. There was a delay of a day each time we had an email exchange because of the time zone difference, since they are in Italy and I am in Canada, but I would not call that “jumping through hoops.” In addition to the good customer service, I was impressed with how easy the trainer was to service. All I needed was a screwdriver and everything was so accessible and easy to do. They obviously had in mind that a lot of their customers would be overseas and would not have access to their facilities. Rather than being disappointed that I had to replace a part so soon, I was actually pleased at how easy it was. I guess we don’t yet know how the direto will do in terms of longevity since it has not been around long -- which is the only reason I might have splurged on something with a longer track record, i.e. the kickr, had I known I was going to love zwift as much as I do and get this much use out of it -- but so far so good.
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx Flux vs. Elite Direto [loxx0050] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
loxx0050 wrote:
You forget or rather might not know that many sites that allow coupons work on Elite trainers (and Cycleops, Tacx too). Kickr...not so much unless it is REI or some special that is approved by Wahoo.

I picked up my Direto for a total of $644 shipped to my door brand new. Bought from backcountry using a 20% off coupon and then Active Junky referral site for another 9% cash back rewards at the time then a little bit cash back from my rewards credit card (another 1.5%).

Memorial day coupons are going on now actually for Backcountry (20% coupon), Competitive Cyclist (21% coupon) and REI (20% annual member coupon). Now if you can get another 20% off of $960 that is a freaking steal but I suspect that is a sale using a 20% off coupon from one of the above sites or similar since the math works out to 20% exactly.

That’s a steal at $644.
Quote Reply