Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Yates Looking Pretty Slick on his ITT Rig [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
EnderWiggan wrote:
Maybe another 5 secs with chevrons painted on your nails.

MattyK wrote:
ktm520 wrote:

There's at least 10 seconds in shaving his hands... 8D

Let's not forget that he forgot to paint the yellow in his helmet with pink. This is Italy, Pink is fastest.

You got it wrong Dev, it's only a test drive for the big race coming up in July.. the one where yellow is fastest!!! ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Yates Looking Pretty Slick on his ITT Rig [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
So much wrong here (in this post and the entire thread). So many assumptions.

These are not triathletes, people; they ride differently. They ride much, much harder, much faster, and they do so for a very short amount of time comparitively.

Look at the very best time trialists in history. A good number of them do the "typewriter" and it has nothing to do with UCI regulations. It's about maximum power, and they simply produce more power with posterior pelvic rotation because that's how they ride every day. That rotation brings them forward on their saddle, and they correct frequently, but many hours of testing has shown it to be more efficient for them for the type of effort they're producing. Some riders do it, others do not. It's individual. Could they change? Possibly, but they don't have the time to spend re-training themselves for the very few occasions every year they spend in aero. It's a loss for them.

Tony Martin's position change had nothing...zero, to do with crank length. How would you know if he has ever tried shorter cranks (he has, btw)? He attempted to go to a more "ERO" position and anteriorly rotate his pelvis, and it didn't work for him (as I suspected it wouldn't). He produces more power posteriorly. He doesn't like it, he'd prefer to not shuffle all the time and make his ass raw, but it's how he pedals a bike. Though I advocate for most riders to rotate anteriorly, it's not for everyone, especially elite road TT'ers who need to pedal at maximum power for a short effort.

Yates team, in it's different iterations over the years, is very attentive to TT. That team is usually pretty dialed, which is why historically, they do very well in TTT. His saddle height is perfect for him, and he's in the best position for the rules he has to ride under. Shorer cranks? Maybe. But why? What would he gain? Power? Not likely. Comfort? He doesn't care. Better position? Nope. Lower than his current position is not faster. He's comfortbale with his crank length, and he produces good power with it. Would I personally like him to try shorter cranks? Sure. But, again, what is there to gain? This coming from a huge advocate of shorter cranks.

Yates is dialed, and he's going to win a Grand Tour.

Thanks for this.
Always amazed by people on here criticising the position of pro cyclists who have vast resources behind them to get it right ('right' being the best for them).
Quote Reply
Re: Yates Looking Pretty Slick on his ITT Rig [MTL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MTL wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
EnderWiggan wrote:
Maybe another 5 secs with chevrons painted on your nails.

MattyK wrote:
ktm520 wrote:

There's at least 10 seconds in shaving his hands... 8D

Let's not forget that he forgot to paint the yellow in his helmet with pink. This is Italy, Pink is fastest.

You got it wrong Dev, it's only a test drive for the big race coming up in July.. the one where yellow is fastest!!! ;)

I believe his brother is the designated GC guy for the yellow newspaper event in France. Here in Italy the pink newspaper (gazetto dello sport) sponsors the guy in pink....race jury was about to fine him 56 seconds for showing up with a yellow theme helmet!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Yates Looking Pretty Slick on his ITT Rig [FindinFreestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FindinFreestyle wrote:
Without a doubt. So many of these protour guys simply assume a large power drop is unavoidable on their time trial bikes, when the primary reasons are crank length and lack of time in the saddle (in that order). He's not even fully flexed yet and that (very imprecise) knee flexion angle is headed to disaster territory.

Same thing when Tony Martin went back to his old position (and of course it worked well enough), but if he had just played with crank length a little more?

Wonder what you think of this guy's position.

He's gotten a 3rd and 4th in the Worlds TT recently and was 4th in the last Olympics. MTM did smoke him at Chronos Des Nations last year, however.... ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Yates Looking Pretty Slick on his ITT Rig [Bdaghisallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bdaghisallo wrote:
Yates rides 170mm cranks.

Yep. And is running the Dura R9100 which is not made any shorter than 170mm. Here's his bike specs. https://bikerumor.com/...-simon-yates-addict/

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Yates Looking Pretty Slick on his ITT Rig [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m amazed that we don’t talk more about Rohan Dennis, probably the most consistent Time Trialist on all courses.
Last edited by: mike s: May 24, 18 19:07
Quote Reply
Re: Yates Looking Pretty Slick on his ITT Rig [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
100%! I agree. TTing completely different than triathlon.

Except the win part. Its Thursday night. 2 hilltop finishes to come & hes beginning to crack after today. 28secs to Domoulin is nothing. Do i want him to win? Yeah sure despite the TUE 4 month ban...meh...great team...Svein Tuft of Canada doing hard miles in valleys...i am cheering for him...but its the Giro...unlike tour...shit blows up usually last few days. I think Sky will blow the race to pieces...end result Dumoulin, Yates, Froome podium order....it should begreat racing...then back to boring tour in july we go.....giro is the best!

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FindinFreestyle wrote:
So many of these protour guys simply assume a large power drop is unavoidable on their time trial bikes

Guessing you have not worked with many ITT specialized on the World Tour.

Power drop? ...
Quote Reply
Re: Yates Looking Pretty Slick on his ITT Rig [Bdaghisallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bdaghisallo wrote:
GreatScott wrote:
grumpier.mike wrote:
Interesting shoe covers.

Any idea who makes those covers?

On that note, what covers does TD use?

Scott

Yates' shoe covers actually look to be the same ones that Dumoulin and Froome wear. I am pretty sure that they are all made by BioRacer in Belgium. They were the ones who first started making the skinsuits with the ribbed/vertically striped fabric you see. They make a lot of team gear for a lot of teams that have other apparel makers' logos on their gear.

You be surprised how much of the gear the pros use is actually made by a very few companies - BioRacer, Moa Sport and one or two others.

Nopinz time warp overshoes are very similar. Rubbers bottom with ribbed material in the calf part.
Quote Reply
Re: Yates Looking Pretty Slick on his ITT Rig [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I feel bad for him. Clearly there's something wrong, but I do love the Giro! Froome will not be a popular winner if he keeps going. UCI's nightmare unfolding today.

Back to what I said earlier about position. Going back to '95, you could argue that one, maybe two (that would be a stretch), TT World Champs were anteriorly rotated on their saddles. Everyone else...posteriorly rotated.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: Yates Looking Pretty Slick on his ITT Rig [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mike s wrote:
I’m amazed that we don’t talk more about Rohan Dennis, probably the most consistent Time Trialist on all courses.

I've had the chance to work with Rohan. Really good guy, and he's very in tune with his position. Tinkers with it, and open to getting better, but knows what works and what doesn't.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: Yates Looking Pretty Slick on his ITT Rig [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
FindinFreestyle wrote:
Without a doubt. So many of these protour guys simply assume a large power drop is unavoidable on their time trial bikes, when the primary reasons are crank length and lack of time in the saddle (in that order). He's not even fully flexed yet and that (very imprecise) knee flexion angle is headed to disaster territory.

Same thing when Tony Martin went back to his old position (and of course it worked well enough), but if he had just played with crank length a little more?

Wonder what you think of this guy's position.

He's gotten a 3rd and 4th in the Worlds TT recently and was 4th in the last Olympics. MTM did smoke him at Chronos Des Nations last year, however.... ;)

Looks great.
Quote Reply
Re: Yates Looking Pretty Slick on his ITT Rig [tetonrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tetonrider wrote:
FindinFreestyle wrote:
So many of these protour guys simply assume a large power drop is unavoidable on their time trial bikes

Guessing you have not worked with many ITT specialized on the World Tour.

Power drop? ...

Hell of a guess. Since there are very few of those riders worldwide and they generally work within their team structure, no. To be clear, I've worked with zero of them. Feel free to elaborate as to why this disqualifies me from having an opinion.

My background is a a FIST and Retul certified fitter since 2007. I've done over 3000 fits at this point, half with adjustable cranks. Plenty of pro tri, some domestic pro time trialists. Plenty of riders over 400 watts at FTP. I've been to the tunnel a handful of times but try to pay attention anytime anyone reports anything from the tunnel. I'm a student.

I've been observing how world class time trialists ride for over a decade, and listening to guys like Jim, and anyone else who has worked with them to form my opinions. I am also very willing to change my opinions.

Please forgive me if I sounded certain about Martin on short cranks or Yates or anything else. I am always trying to learn. I still think many of these anterior rotated (UCI ITT) riders would be better off shortening the cranks and rotating the body. I hear what Jim is saying, but Jim is primarily a fitter and I am primarily a coach who happens to be a very good fitter. I've seen, experienced personally, and worked with many riders through the adaption period.

So why do I think these riders accept power drops in TT positions? Plentiful anecdote. Why do you think that is as not the case? I would love to see or hear about some data to indicate they do not, on average, lose significant power in their time trial positions. Personally, even riding 30+ hours weekly, even with FTP of 450, even with all the micro differences between them and age group triathletes, I still find them the same in the macro. Forward rotation is generally good, generally works, and I consider it the "Fosbury Flop" of aerobar riding. So from that premise, I require some new data, experience, or reasoning to convince me that forward rotation is not correct for the fastest aerobar riders in the world. Jim's explanation is intriguing, but I'm not calling that a mic drop moment by any stretch.

Questions for Jim or anyone else:
1. How do you determine anterior from posterior tilt? This is not a black or white proposition. There are many degrees of rotation between all the way back and all the way forward.

2. How do you tell who should rotate how much? What are the mitigating factors? FTP? Weekly volume? Frequency on tt bike? Foot size?

3. How long do you attempt to rotate a rider forward before drawing the conclusion that this rider is better off rotated back?

In other words, whats the process? Try em all forward and if they suck after a year, roll em back?

Jim's testimony is intriguing, even somewhat compelling, but for me it is by no means definitive. I am not trashing my opinions just yet. Riding 31mph on 410 watts is freiking fantastic right? Except if you do that rotated back on your long cranks with 4cm less aerobar drop you could otherwise ride, and your FTP is actually 445, it becomes less fantastic in my mind.

And then for Jim.... "Yates is dialed" and "Of course I'd love to see him try shorter cranks". Those two statements could use some clearing up. If he's dialed, what about his position makes you want to see him on shorter cranks? Maybe the probable 120 degrees (edited from 60) of flexion at the top of the stroke?
Last edited by: FindinFreestyle: May 25, 18 10:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bro I love the debate and have respect for you and Jim as bikefitters and I learn plenty here, but please dont measure knee flexion where 0 is when the tibia blends into the femur. What you are saying is "120 degrees of flexion". 0 is with the leg extended.

Endurance coach | Physiotherapist (primary care) | Bikefitter | Swede
Quote Reply
Re: Yates Looking Pretty Slick on his ITT Rig [mortysct] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mortysct wrote:
Bro I love the debate and have respect for you and Jim as bikefitters and I learn plenty here, but please dont measure knee flexion where 0 is when the tibia blends into the femur. What you are saying is "120 degrees of flexion". 0 is with the leg extended.

Sure. Using the correct definition, it would be knee flexion greater than 110 becomes problematic (112?), and Yates would be pushing 120, as you said. I just goni it and use the smallest value.
Last edited by: FindinFreestyle: May 25, 18 10:40
Quote Reply

Prev Next