Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Rear QR skewer - lever on drive side
Quote | Reply
Is there a good reason why aero obsessed athletes don’t install the rear skewer with the lever on the drive side? It seems like there’s much more swirly air at that dropout from the chain, crank, rd etc, and the smaller profile of the nut would be better placed on the cleaner non-drive side.

Am I missing something obvious? And yes it’s trivial, but there are a zillion other st threads discussing stuff of comparable magnitude.
Quote Reply
Re: Rear QR skewer - lever on drive side [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The big issue is safety. If the chain drops or gets jammed, it can rip open the skewer and you may lose your wheel.

Personally, that risk is not worth the .25 watt savings.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Rear QR skewer - lever on drive side [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doublea334 wrote:
The big issue is safety. If the chain drops or gets jammed, it can rip open the skewer and you may lose your wheel.

Personally, that risk is not worth the .25 watt savings.

How? The QR is outside the dropout, the chain is inside.

I run the QR on the right side on my mountain bike all the time, reduces the temptation to grab the disc rotor to squeeze it closed. On my tri bike race wheel setup I'm running allen key skewers, sans quick release.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Rear QR skewer - lever on drive side [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which Allen key skewers?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They're ancient, don't think they're made anymore. I "think" they were made by Control Tech - Ti skewers with alloy head and nut.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Rear QR skewer - lever on drive side [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doublea334 wrote:
The big issue is safety.
This is such classic Slow Twitch.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
They're ancient, don't think they're made anymore. I "think" they were made by Control Tech - Ti skewers with alloy head and nut.

There are a bunch of "theft-proof" allen-key QR skewers available.. they'd probably blow their sales numbers out of the water if they marketed the "aero" angle to the triathlon market.
Quote Reply
Re: Rear QR skewer - lever on drive side [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Hello WelshinPhilly and All,

Naturally I think these are pretty cool.

www.view-speed.com

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Google shopping is your friend. I've been using one of these on my 808 front for years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know why the QR lever is on the non drive side but I just assumed it was to keep it out of the chain and gears if you crashed. While it could go into the spokes on the NDS, it would not be hard at all to get it into the chain or derailleur on the DS.

It might be worth .25 watts in a time trial but probably not in a road race. A QR lever in your chain or derailleur could really screw you up if you had a minor tumble. Guys go down and pop back up not infrequently in all levels of mass start bike racing so this is not just a last 20k of a TdF stage concern.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in the mindset that the NDS evens things out since you have the rear derailleur sticking out on the drive side. The front I just match on the same side too for consistency. But if you ever try to remove the rear wheel with the skewer still attached it would be much easier for the chain to clear the cassettte and skewer with the lever on the NDS.
Last edited by: loxx0050: May 22, 18 14:00
Quote Reply
Re: Rear QR skewer - lever on drive side [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve crashed on the mountain bike more times than I can count, and the qr lever has never been an issue.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On TT day if I’m not using bolt on skewers, the QR always goes on the drive side. It looks goofy and you have to be careful that Di2 wires won’t get caught in it but it’s been great for me other than the TT that I turned my GFs bike into a single speed when the wire got hung up.
Quote Reply