Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 7 weeks to 70.3 - thinking about starting with Trainerroad [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[quote]No wonder these dumbarses can’t road ride in races....... ...Seriously OP, get outside. That’s what summer is about. Group rides, club rides, TT’s, solo long rides and thresholds. Way too much fun to be had and skills to polish.[/quote]

I've seen a lot of triathletes up close and personal riding bikes this winter. The majority of them have (had) shit handling skills bc they do almost all their riding indoors. At least one crash was caused bc he turned into someone even though the entire double pace line went straight.

It would behoove the over whelming majority of triathletes to do some group rides now and then. By the end one of the camps there was a HUGE improvement in handling skills.

I think most triathletes underestimate how much time they lose with poor handling skills or could gain if they had better handling ability

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: 7 weeks to 70.3 - thinking about starting with Trainerroad [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve raced enough crits that I don’t think I really fall into the camp of having shit bike handling skills. This weekend I was out on my roadie in conditions that really called for something wider than 23c slicks. (Pissing rain on a gravel road, basically a mud ride).

I do need to swap the stem on the roadie though, the setup is from when I was 29lbs lighter and15 years younger, gotta raise the bars and bring them back a touch.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: 7 weeks to 70.3 - thinking about starting with Trainerroad [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Is it worth it to start on a Trainerroad subscription now with 7 weeks to go? Or just keep on going the way I'm going?

ETA, I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but if anyone has any insight that would be appreciated.

Hey Jason!

I saw this thread and figured I'd chime in :)

If you have been following a specific, structured plan while training for your HIM, it may not be the best choice to alter your training in the final weeks leading up to your event.

If your training has been less structured and specific leading up until now, then it could be a good time to add structure to your training. In this case, I would recommend jumping into the Half Ironman Build plan in the volume that will best mesh with the volume that you have currently been training at. You don't want to pick up too much training stress all at once. With 7 weeks left, a good training plan would be:
HIM Build (6 weeks)
HIM Specialty (Week 8) - This will serve as your taper to allow your legs to freshen up while keeing their snap.

Again though, if you have been following a structured training plan up until now, I would not recommend switching tracks this close to your event.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any more questions for me!

Get Faster with TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: 7 weeks to 70.3 - thinking about starting with Trainerroad [Bryce Lewis TR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Bryce. I wouldn’t characterize what I’ve been doing as structured, more along the lines of “do what I feel like I’m in the mood for that day”. Some days steady, some days harder interval type workouts, but really it’s just random stuff. A bit of structure wouldn’t be a bad thing.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: 7 weeks to 70.3 - thinking about starting with Trainerroad [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triathletes in general, not you specifically.

There are a lot of triathletes that ride poorly and do a great job at it

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: 7 weeks to 70.3 - thinking about starting with Trainerroad [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh I know what you meant ;-)

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Thanks Bryce. I wouldn’t characterize what I’ve been doing as structured, more along the lines of “do what I feel like I’m in the mood for that day”. Some days steady, some days harder interval type workouts, but really it’s just random stuff. A bit of structure wouldn’t be a bad thing.

In that case, there is a lot to be gained through a properly structured training plan. Even if its a little close to your event, you will still see big improvements :)

Get Faster with TrainerRoad
Quote Reply

Prev Next