Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Substance Abuse Poll [salty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I wonder how much of the remaining 3/4 use triathlon to manage anger, anxiety and/or depression. "
---------------------
I would plead guilty. The folks in my office tell me when it is time to head out for a lunch run based on my stress level (which I unfortunately sometimes expose to them).

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Substance Abuse Poll [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
salty wrote:
I wonder how much of the remaining 3/4 use triathlon to manage anger, anxiety and/or depression.

If it did, we'd have to allow "You may select more than one"

I used running to get over a serious drug problem, and subsequent break-up with my misdiagnosed bipolar coke whore girlfriend [this was NOT the one who tried to kill me - twice]

david wrote:
The folks in my office tell me when it is time to head out for a lunch run based on my stress level (which I unfortunately sometimes expose to them).

I get that from D'Wife ... If I'm extra cranky she'll ask "Did you run today?' Of course, OVER-training can lead to irritability too, so there's a balance that needs to be maintained

We go for bike rides, to get further out in nature than my 6-10 mile running loops, and to get some extra wind through our hair [even with the helmets] .Swimming brings a nice peacefulness, relaxation and weightlessness

All of which help me keep an even keel

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
salty wrote:
I wonder how much of the remaining 3/4 use triathlon to manage anger, anxiety and/or depression.

Add me to that list... also, it helps me manage another kind of addiction... food addiction. Curious as to how many people on ST are overweight. It's hard to get an idea as it seems like everyone on here rides a $10k bike, has a body weight of 150#, and goes over 10 hours in an IM on a bad day!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
salty wrote:

100% of the respondents to the poll use triathlon for this.
Quote Reply
Re: Substance Abuse Poll [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
salty wrote:

Like OCD, PTSD, and so on

When I asked my therapist if I might have OCD, her answer was "It's only OCD if you get an anxiety attack when something is out of place, or done out of order"

So, if you get a legit anxiety attack because, maybe, today was supposed to be a 20-mile ride, but you only have time for 18 = OCD

Quote Reply
Re: Substance Abuse Poll [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
salty wrote:

Like OCD, PTSD, and so on

When I asked my therapist if I might have OCD, her answer was "It's only OCD if you get an anxiety attack when something is out of place, or done out of order"

So, if you get a legit anxiety attack because, maybe, today was supposed to be a 20-mile ride, but you only have time for 18 = OCD

18? nah. 19.9, 3.05, 6.15, 13.0, 26.1, 49.8....you betcha.
Quote Reply
Re: Substance Abuse Poll [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's not abuse if the caffeine, "wants it."
Quote Reply
Re: Substance Abuse Poll [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:

Dude, I've extended runs & rides because the number just looked funny

"No, I can't stop at 16.66; 666 can't be good"

Quote Reply
Re: Substance Abuse Poll [mfrassica] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mfrassica wrote:

School breakfasts now have 70g of sugar. This is same as hooking young kids on drugs. We don't give kids coffee in USA schools, but we give them loads of sugar.

This is such a bullshit comment.

"School breakfasts now have 70g of sugar"?
According to which analysis of which menus in which jurisdictions?

"This is the same as hooking young kids on drugs"

According to which research and in comparison to which drugs?

You can't substantiate any of it without watering your assertions down into more reasonable discourse. So why not start with that. It is merely annoying to interrupt people having a discussion about a serious topic with your fact-free feelings. But it is uncouth to additionally trivialize the subject.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
ntc wrote:
It is interesting that alcohol, nicotine, and caffeine are the socially acceptable drugs that aren't referred to as such.

There are a lot of threads about drinking around here

"How will alcohol affect my race?"
"Am I drinking too much?
"How much do you drink?"

etc.

And doing a Beer Mile

Highlighted the point of that statement. RandMart's response highlights ntc's point exactly.

---------------------------------------------
Of course it hurts. The trick is not minding it hurts.
Quote Reply
Re: Substance Abuse Poll [buzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My Archer-Daniels-Midland and Monsanto investments are right with you. Keep beating that drum!

You get a time bonus for using Bullshit and Uncouth in the same post. well done

buzz wrote:
mfrassica wrote:

School breakfasts now have 70g of sugar. This is same as hooking young kids on drugs. We don't give kids coffee in USA schools, but we give them loads of sugar.

This is such a bullshit comment.

"School breakfasts now have 70g of sugar"?
According to which analysis of which menus in which jurisdictions?

"This is the same as hooking young kids on drugs"

According to which research and in comparison to which drugs?

You can't substantiate any of it without watering your assertions down into more reasonable discourse. So why not start with that. It is merely annoying to interrupt people having a discussion about a serious topic with your fact-free feelings. But it is uncouth to additionally trivialize the subject.
Last edited by: mfrassica: May 23, 18 11:36
Quote Reply
Re: Substance Abuse Poll [maukiwauw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
maukiwauw wrote:
RandMart's response highlights ntc's point exactly.

Hey now!

Don't be using my smart-ass remarks to validate anyone's points, OK?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mfrassica wrote:

Several people double dip, meaning they have a few teaspoons of sugar with my coffee.

Did you mean to say "I" double dip?

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mfrassica wrote:
My Archer-Daniels-Midland and Monsanto investments are right with you. Keep beating that drum!

You get a time bonus for using Bullshit and Uncouth in the same post. well done

Will the time bonus be adequate enough to offset the capital investment for using "jurisdictions" "assertions" and "discourse?"

Quote Reply
Re: Substance Abuse Poll [bretzky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not going to apologize for my coffee HABIT. I would be grumpy and have headaches without it, but I like it. I drink it black, like my soul.

Coffee IS psychoactive, and it does create withdrawal symptoms. However, it is only MILDLY psychoactive in that it improves alertness. Comparing coffee/tea/caffeine to alcohol and drugs based on the semantics of psychoactivity and dependency is complete overreach. Taking the example of coffee, the potential for abuse is infinitesimal. I'd say the only potential for abuse is if an office-worker takes too many coffee/pee breaks during the day, interfering with job performance. Someone drinking a usual, moderate amount is not adversely affected as would be a drinker or drug user. I don't think we'll find neurosurgeons overdoing it on the coffee before surgery, but there are obvious problems if that same surgeon has even a few sips of alcohol before cutting.

It's interesting to note that we have coffee and tea to thank for many historical advancements. First, brewing coffee or tea kills microorganisms in water, creating healthier drinkers. Second, when coffee and tea were substituted for beer as a morning or mid-day drink, fewer factory and farm workers died of clumsy accidents (it's ABSOLUTELY true that before coffee and tea, most people drank beer, wine, or spirits daily, and spent their entire lives buzzed). Third, work efficiency increased dramatically when farm and factory workers weren't half-loaded during the day. Fourth, coffee-house culture is what helped bring about the humanist revolution in the mid-late 18th century, leading to the Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution. Sure, there are some negative historical notes to coffee and tea, but those compare as much less harmful overall to drinking and drugging.

Really, what's the point of including caffeine in a discussion of drug/alcohol/PED abuse?
Quote Reply
Re: Substance Abuse Poll [140triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On a daily basis I consume enough drugs to sedate Manhattan, Long Island, and Queens for a month. I take Quaaludes 10-15 times a day for my "back pain", Adderall to stay focused, Xanax to take the edge off, pot to mellow me out, cocaine to wake me back up again, and morphine... Well, because it's awesome.

but I absolutely will not touch sugar or coffee. That stuff is bad for you
Quote Reply
Re: Substance Abuse Poll [Twinkie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Twinkie wrote:
On a daily basis I consume enough drugs to sedate Manhattan, Long Island, and Queens for a month. I take Quaaludes 10-15 times a day for my "back pain", Adderall to stay focused, Xanax to take the edge off, pot to mellow me out, cocaine to wake me back up again, and morphine... Well, because it's awesome.

but I absolutely will not touch sugar or coffee. That stuff is bad for you

This is funny to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
salty wrote:

I would have ticked that box.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Re: Substance Abuse Poll [bretzky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Tom_hampton wrote:

Dude, I've extended runs & rides because the number just looked funny

"No, I can't stop at 16.66; 666 can't be good"

Oh, and then you get into running streaks, and 100 Runs / 100 Days Challenges, and accumulating & analyzing all sorts of data; anything that can be measured IS measured

And self-imposed rules/superstitions like "Never start anything new on Fridays" and making sure you have your lucky safety pins for you bibs, and go to the exact same Wawa for your pre-race coffee & Sizzli

Quote Reply

Prev Next