Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Relocation Suggestions
Quote | Reply
I've been following the retiring threads and am hoping to pick the Lavender Room collective brain. Me and fiance are pretty well fed up with Maine winters, and my parents are not quite so sure that where they landed just outside of Knoxville is exactly what they hoped it would be. So we're looking for places and areas that meet a pretty disparate range of criteria.

Collective wants: Mild winter (no plowable snow, not stupid cold for 6 months). Ideally, a short oppressively humid season. Access to a pool.

Dad: Golf. Either on a community or public courses, but close and affordable (as much so as golf can be). Access to sailing (small boats, hobiecat etc.); type of body of water not important.

Mum: Walkable "stuff" - just to be able to walk somewhere and do something. Maybe really casual bike riding (think around the lake or along the canal towpath type stuff).

Fiance: Road and gravel/railtrail riding, preferably road out of the front door and gravel nearby. He won't ride if it's too hilly, and rideable routes of 10-20 miles would be perfect.

Me: Safe area to train in (ie. not an area with known aggressive drivers), as well as safe for a single white female to be out alone. Railtrail/MUP for running as well as casual riding with fiance. Doesn't have to be pancake flat, but I'd like to be able to ride out of my house without putting on 200' in the first mile. I am not terribly active with my tri club, but that doesn't mean I couldn't be more involved if there was a good one.

Bonus items: Some culture, good access to community bands and/or orchestras (to play with).

We're not married to the Eastern Seaboard, but we can't afford California. Looking for property to be available in the $200-$500K range. Folks don't like the physical landscape in Utah, Sedona and the like, which probably rules out much of the southwest. They're retired, so low property taxes matters to my parents moreso than to me. I work remotely, so finding work in the local area is not a concern - but for what it's worth, I currently work in managed services, have a background in project management and telecommunications and might like to change my job some time in my remaining 30-something working years!

I have only lived in Maine for the 13 years I've been stateside, so frankly everything south of New York City is hot and humid to me - but I understand there are degrees to this. I'd rather train 6 weeks in the summer on the trainer than the 6 months I spent in my cellar last winter, so I'm willing to do a bit of sucking it up - but I'm not willing to live in Florida, because I would like to be dry sometime between April and October.

We're looking at Savannah and the surrounding areas as a possibility, although I'm concerned about humidity. Any thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Relocation Suggestions [UK2ME] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Even though you may not like the Mountain West, the Front Range of Colorado and the Wasatch Front of Utah check a lot of your boxes.

drn92
Quote Reply
Re: Relocation Suggestions [drn92] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
drn92 wrote:
Even though you may not like the Mountain West, the Front Range of Colorado and the Wasatch Front of Utah check a lot of your boxes.

drn92

Thank you. My mother did suggest Colorado, but I'm concerned about the length and severity of the winter for them. Is that something you have personal experience of?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oregon/Northwest. Corvallis/Eugene/Ashland? non-Seattle areas in Washington? Your best bet for cultural events is probably college towns. Sounds like Bend and COlorado may be too wintry....
Last edited by: oldandslow: May 21, 18 15:27
Quote Reply
Re: Relocation Suggestions [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oldandslow wrote:
Oregon/Northwest. Corvallis/Eugene/Ashland? non-Seattle areas in Washington? Your best bet for cultural events is probably college towns.

It doesn't rain 360 days a year? They moved from England to get away from that!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hilton Head, SC
Pinehurst/Southern Pines, NC

The humidity part is still going to be an issue but it's not as bad as Florida & Gulf Coast region.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
UK2ME wrote:
oldandslow wrote:
Oregon/Northwest. Corvallis/Eugene/Ashland? non-Seattle areas in Washington? Your best bet for cultural events is probably college towns.

Ditto oldandslow. Oregon might suit you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As far as I can tell, folks in the Great Northwest endlessly say it rains just to keep away the Californians ;). Summers are downright awesome. Here is info for Medford/Ashland (Medford is much cheaper). It can be somewhat hot in summer, but not humid:

https://www.bestplaces.net/climate/city/oregon/ashland

My other choices would probably be more mountainous (Bend, Boulder, Santa Fe).
Last edited by: oldandslow: May 21, 18 16:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve lived in the Rockies for a long time. We do have a few big storms, but the past several winters in Denver have been pretty mild. There will definitely be one or two storms a year that require a shovel, but if they get a house with a south to southwest facing driveway that is minimized. About every 5 years we get a big storm.

Otherwise I can ride, run, golf, and enjoy the outdoors just about any day of the year. Many communities are becoming more walkable and the core of the city is pretty solid.

My parents still live in northern Utah and are just now getting to the point of moving a bit further south.

drn92
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
UK2ME wrote:
oldandslow wrote:

I live just north of Seattle in Victoria. You can train outside year round here. Seattle gets way more rain then us, but it really isn't that bad. The other 8 months of the year are pretty awesome and very mild weather wise. Aside from a few weeks at either extreme it doesn't vary from 5-25*C the entire year.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Add another vote for CO.

You could do worse than Fort Collins. Little further north than Boulder but more affordable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
UK2ME, since your parents live in Knoxville, TN, you should have them go check out Abingdon, VA. It's 2.5 hours up the road. It's a great little town. Local theater (Barter Theater) is very popular for the entire region and they do great work. There's a 32 miles long rails to trails called the Creeper Trail that's accessible from downtown Abingdon. Very safe and scenic. Neither winters nor summers are too bad but the spring and fall are beautiful. It is also a safe place to live and would likely fit your price range very well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Savannah? I think Athens or Columbus would be better. Georgia can get really humid but early work outs make it manageable. Winters are pretty mild, you're not far from the Georgia mountains or the ocean.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
UK2ME wrote:
oldandslow wrote:

ON the coast, pretty much.

But on the other side of the coastal range it dries out fast. Portland has 150 rainy days a year and only gets 36" of rain. It's namesake in Maine only rains 130 days, but gets 47" of rain. However, Portland ME has 9-11 rainy days a month year round. From November to March, Portland, OR has almost 20 days of rain a month. In July and August, less than 5.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
UK2ME wrote:
drn92 wrote:

drn92

Thank you. My mother did suggest Colorado, but I'm concerned about the length and severity of the winter for them. Is that something you have personal experience of?

If you're looking at living in the mountains, the length and severity of the winter would definitely be a concern; however . . . . The winters in Denver (and really up and down the front range) aren't bad at all. I've pulled out the snowblower exactly twice in the winter of 2017-2018. There are occasional 2-4 day stretches where snow sticks around, but for the most part, snow in Denver is melted off the roads by the mid-afternoon.

FWIW, I moved up to Denver 5 years ago, and my in-laws came with us (from Texas). They are in their mid to late 70's and even with mobility issues, my MIL gets around just fine in the winters here.

The (mostly) mild winters are the best kept secret about living in the Boulder/Denver/Co Spgs corridor along the front range.

''The enemy isn't conservatism. The enemy isn't liberalism. The enemy is bulls**t.''

—Lars-Erik Nelson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live just N of Seattle. WA is wet, just sayin.

It sounds like anything S of Portland, OR could fit the bill (E or W side). Take a look at Corvallis OR.

CO front range has been mentioned several times and could be a good fit. Check out Colorado Springs.

I don't know anything about the E coast, but you may want to check out Asheville NC. I've heard nothing but good things.

I should note, this is just ideas based on the "where & what" not the cost. I have no idea about cost in these locals.

Good Luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Relocation Suggestions [Bushido] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eastern WA (Spokane area) might be another place Tom explore. From what I understand the weather is not nearly as wet as the Seattle side of the cascades.

drn92
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Greenville, SC. Checks all your boxes. Weak spot is summers can be hot/humid. Not nearly as bad as Savannah though.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/...m_term=.cdffe6b934b9
Quote Reply