Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Quick, healthy, filling lunch ideas for work
Quote | Reply
I’m tired of sandwiches. What else is out there? I don’t want anything prepackaged (lean cuisine).
Quote Reply
Re: Quick, healthy, filling lunch ideas for work [Triocd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triocd wrote:
I’m tired of sandwiches. What else is out there? I don’t want anything prepackaged (lean cuisine).

Soup
Salad
Burrito
Burrito bowl
Quinoa bowl
McDonald’s
Burger King
Wendy’s
Clif bars
Etc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triocd wrote:
When you say 'filling' do you mean starches?

My go-to is a spinach salad w/ some carrots, red onions, celery, etc plus chicken or steak we'll have had for dinner, and some feta or goat cheese, maybe croutons or beans. It generally does the trick as long as I have an apple and/or granola bar for an afternoon snack.

One lunch my wife found during a diet that's really damn good is a rice, chicken and hummus bowl. I'm not sure the exact recipe but it's along these lines:
https://www.familyfoodonthetable.com/...n-bowls-rice-hummus/

And you can mix and match the veggies. Some black beans are good in there, we'd also cook some kale and throw it in there rather than the spinach. Pretty versatile recipe that's super filling (I actually don't like it during the summer, too heavy for me) and pretty healthy.
Quote Reply
Re: Quick, healthy, filling lunch ideas for work [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
By filling I mean has a fair amount of protein in any form. Nuts, chicken, soy, etc

I can’t leave work during lunch so Wendy’s is out
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you or your wife cook, make extra and bring leftovers. I just had lasagna for lunch. Last week included leftover jambalaya and really really tasty Posole. Soups like chili, posole, stew reheat very well. As does pasta and some mexican dishes, though tortillas get soggy if you reheat them with the filling.

If those aren't there, I do salads with plenty of chicken. Important for me to get a chunk of meat in there or I am hungry an hour later and hitting the candy table.

We are trying very hard to pack lunch. Prices just keep going up, not uncommon for the two of us to spend $20 - $25/day. And that is for food I don't even like. How excited can you get for Subway/Chipotle/crappy Chinese/fast food the 50th day in a row?

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The best ever lentil salad. You can throw in some grilled chicken for extra protein.
https://www.mynewroots.org/...lentil-salad-ever-2/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Use lentils in place of ground beef. My family loves lentil tacos.

Oh to make it quick, make double of everything for dinner, bring to extra to work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just this year, I replaced my sandwiches with lettuce wraps. It takes about 2 minutes more in the morning but they taste so much better than the sandwich I made for years. I purchase plenty of deli meat for the week and assorted cheeses. From there, I add avocado, mayo, mustard and seasoning. If we eat chicken or steak the night before, I put the leftovers in to the wrap. I can be messy which is the only downside.
Quote Reply
Re: Quick, healthy, filling lunch ideas for work [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndysStrongAle wrote:
My family loves lentil tacos.

You know, of all the BS that gets thrown around here on any given day, this has to be right near the top of the list of most preposterous. :)

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Quick, healthy, filling lunch ideas for work [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've always enjoyed overnight oats. But another is Red Beans and Rice with Chicken thrown in (in place of sausage). There is something to be said for spicy food leaving me feeling fuller than bland food.
Quote Reply
Re: Quick, healthy, filling lunch ideas for work [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
AndysStrongAle wrote:
My family loves lentil tacos.

You know, of all the BS that gets thrown around here on any given day, this has to be right near the top of the list of most preposterous. :)

Oh, we all still favor meat, but for the most part lentils works and the kids eat it. Other nice part is meat would cost us ~$5 a lb, lentils is about $.99 a lb.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Greek yogurt with blueberries and sliced almonds.

Carrot sticks and hummus.

Re: Quick, healthy, filling lunch ideas for work [travelgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
travelgirl wrote:
The best ever lentil salad. You can throw in some grilled chicken for extra protein.
https://www.mynewroots.org/...lentil-salad-ever-2/

Speaking of lentils and filling lunches I made a spanish lentil/chorizo soup yesterday that I'll have for the bulk of my lunches this week. You can find the recipe here...it's delicious. Thinking your lentil salad is going into rotation next week.

For the OP challenge yourself to make a new batch of something each Sunday that you can take to work for lunch (or make a few things). That's the easiest way I've found to do it. Also a great way to improve your cooking skills and learn some new recipes outside of the norm. Mornings are just too jam packed with stuff for me to make lunch each day so this have become my workaround..assuming that is the case with most everyone here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I came across a delicious salad I've been doing for lunches. Make a big batch on sunday and its good for the week.

Roast Chicken breast with paprika, cumin, curry and chili powder at 450 for 20 minutes. While that is going, get out spinach, chick peas, thin sliced radishes, thinly sliced beets, feta, avacado, and a basic oil dressing (oil, garlic, mustard, honey). I'll sprinkle some kind of nut/seed/salad mix stuff over it.

Portion in to 5 tupperware containers and you're good to go. Takes 30 minutes on Sunday to make.

My wife makes a killer bean salad that's very filling:
In a big bowl, dump a can of red beans, black beans, corn, and chickpeas. Add a handful or two of sliced cherry tomatoes, cilantro, salt and pepper, and squeeze a lemon over it. That's it. It's really tasty and extremely fast to prep ahead of time.

We boil a dozen eggs on sunday night and keep them in the fridge to bring as snacks for lunches. Between a dish of one of the salad above, an egg, an apple or something or a small tuna snack that usually holds me over pretty well.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Quick, healthy, filling lunch ideas for work [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
We boil a dozen eggs on sunday night and keep them in the fridge to bring as snacks for lunches. Between a dish of one of the salad above, an egg, an apple or something or a small tuna snack that usually holds me over pretty well.
So you're the guy that brings boiled eggs to work?

I actually love them but there's definitely a stank to them when other people have them at work.
Quote Reply
Re: Quick, healthy, filling lunch ideas for work [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I am the boss, so if anyone has a problem with it they are free to take it up with management :-)

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply