Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Please Help me figure out why my stomach won’t let me run in long course races [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I came here looking for answers to the same question. I had a great swim and bike yesterday, and followed it with 3 solid miles in the run before my stomach began to repel everything I wanted to put in it, including water.

I had quite a bit more water than you on the bike. I drank somewhere between 90 & 96 ounces with 3 tailwinds in there for good measure. I had one gel right out of T1 and only a few shot blocks on the bike. Nothing solid at all. (About 800 calories total)

After thinking about it I think my stomach doesn't agree with tailwind (at least not three on a 56 mike bike ride) and the heat was just something my body wasn't ready for. It's possible I overdid the sugar too. The thought of anything sweet during the run was enough to make me gag.

I was finally able to get some water down late in the run and actually finished with minimal stomach cramps, but by then my race was shot. It's really disappointing considering how well the swim and bike went.
Quote Reply
Re: Please Help me figure out why my stomach won’t let me run in long course races [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had this problem yesterday (again). Rockin' swim and bike. Then out of T2 it's like "dude you are not running anywhere".

But for me it was everything from guts to massive full leg cramps (left then right) and what felt like a heart arrhythmia :P. It was torture.

I had 3x gels and didn't drink much water that is true. Probably 1/2 bottle but didn't feel like drinking. It was moderate temps.
Having done this twice, it seems to me it's my inability to remove lactic acid. So I start the most demanding discipline (for me) in a very compromised state.

I think the problem is I never train more than an hour at a time. I need to go 2-3 hours or more on a regular basis.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Re: Help me figure out why my stomach won’t let me run in long course races [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Echo the question about how much you sweat and how much water you drank. I sweat a lot, but in dry climates I forget to drink water without the clue of being soaking wet - especially on the bike. Increasing plain water while it is easy on the bike might help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You either had the wrong nutritional combination/volume or you had the wrong race intensity, or both. This is preventable and solvable (unless you have some weird malady). Sometimes you also have to chalk it up to just having a bad day.

Typically when this happens repeatedly (more than once) under similar conditions it means that you didn't practice the same routine at the same intensity. To me this is no more complicated than a simple math problem once you figure out the formula; and, then practice, practice, practice. Starting at noon the day before, I practice the same dietary routine before EVERY race (local 5k, sprint race, IM, etc) and key workout to make sure I have it dialed in for the next key race. Follow the best and most reliable theories on nutrition and race execution, dial it in specifically for you, and then practice it to know you have a well designed plan to execute. If not you are taking a crap shoot and leaving it to chance.

By the way, I have found that the formula changes a bit with age so every spring I go back through the same testing phase to make sure I have my plan dialed in.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me figure out why my stomach won’t let me run in long course races [dmabraham] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You should definitely read this:

http://www.triathlete.com/...on-and-conquer_60572

This is a summary of studies on your problem done by Dr Stacy Sims. There are lots of naysayers, but there is absolutely no doubt of the facts in the physiology she is noting. Sooner or later if ingesting high sugars through liquids (including gels) bad things will happen! Individual physiology, as well as the amount of sugar you are dumping at one time- )ie do you literally take 200 calories an hour all at once, or 30ish calories every 10 minutes?) will have a factor on the timing, as well as heat, effort, etc,
For me, I did extremely well on liquid calories for over a decade, then I started having more and more problems, with earlier and earlier onset- first after 10 hours, then 9, 8... Along with the physiology noted by Sims, I was developing a sugar intolerance, ultimately being diagnosed as pre diabetic.
Taking Sims advise, as well as changing to a “low” carb (20-30% of my calories, as opposed to the more typical today 60-70) and high fat diet (opposite of carb ratio), saved my health and restored my ability to race well in Long events. I have read stories from, and/or met literally hundreds of athletes with similar stories. BTW- I made these changes over 2 years ago, and things for me are continuing to get better and better, including a return to mid normal A1C and blood sugar levels, and not getting a single cold, flu or illness in the last 18plus months :-)
Do your research, remember one size does not fit all, and good luck
Quote Reply

Prev Next