Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Where to retire to [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My parents bought a trailer in FL and snowbirded for years before moving permanently. IMO they were a lot happier snowbirding back to friends and family and got isolated and old quickly after moving full time.

Can you do that? You can rent a few places and see what you like.
Quote Reply
Re: Where to retire to [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
try europe, we are just outside Nice.............

Me on the other hand, I'm far from Nice.
Quote Reply
Re: Where to retire to [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Moonrocket wrote:
My parents bought a trailer in FL and snowbirded for years before moving permanently. IMO they were a lot happier snowbirding back to friends and family and got isolated and old quickly after moving full time.

Can you do that? You can rent a few places and see what you like.

We used to rent a property in Palm Springs for a week every year. They stopped renting the place as they now get enough enquiries from snowbirders that rent their house for 3-4 months in the winter and go back to friends/family in the north when the weather is better. This, apparently, is getting more popular as the numbers, for some, work out better than buying a second place or re-locating completely.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
Guessing it's a lot easier than going somewhere where you don't speak the language which was my genius idea...........

I am speculating, but for me, between now and when I am 60-70 I think in an English Speaking country it would be a breeze to make social networks

I just immigrated my folks to the USA - they were looking to retire to somewhere in southern Europe and decided that having lived the last five years in France and Switzerland that they'd also like to be somewhere that the prevailing language was English. It certainly does help when you're able to converse with your neighbours, ask for things in shops, and go out for dinner without every meal being a mystery.

My parents retired to the Knoxville area, which is nice and the weather is far more appealing than where I live in Maine (I say this sat in the screen porch where I have worked all day!) - but one thing to be aware of is that if one wants to ride bikes down here, it's hilly. All very well when you're young and fit and spry.... We're looking at moving down to be closer to them and my fiance is looking at the roads and thinking "no way." We've been driving the local smaller towns and that seems to be a recurring theme. Chatty has a gorgeous downtown/city centre area, but it felt like when we dropped down off the mountains this weekend the air just stopped moving. I don't know if that's typical.
Quote Reply
Re: Where to retire to [UK2ME] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Curious how they qualified.

France lets basically anyone in but wants all your money

Switzerland wants you to have money but for you to keep most of it. But the cover charge is initially high if you go without a job

What's the US want
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
Curious how they qualified.

France lets basically anyone in but wants all your money

Switzerland wants you to have money but for you to keep most of it. But the cover charge is initially high if you go without a job

What's the US want

My father had a work visa for Switzerland, they're British citizens (thus no trouble living in France), and I'm a naturalized American citizen and immigrated them as immediate family. I do understand this is not an option for everyone!
Quote Reply
Re: Where to retire to [damn lucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damn lucky wrote:
If you want to go south, I'd look at Chattanooga or Nashville.

Scratch Nashville off the list. You’re not gonna find anything decent for $300,000 plus Nashville is now a large city with traffic issues.

I’m hoping to win the lottery so I can return to California when I retire. With an apartment in Paris and a condo in Kona when I want to get away.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Where to retire to [UK2ME] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did not know you could do that for immediate family

We can do eu as have dual nationality but Switzerland is appealing at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
I did not know you could do that for immediate family

We can do eu as have dual nationality but Switzerland is appealing at the moment

Well didn't the Trumpo tell us all about " chain migration ".

RayGovett
Hughson CA
Be Prepared-- Strike Swiftly -- Who Dares Wins- Without warning-"it will be hard. I can do it"
Quote Reply

Prev Next