Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: I'm sick, my race is tomorrow :-( [surroundhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah most race directors are pretty understanding, I’ve changed from individual to team due to injury.

As for racing while sick, feeling crap is your bodies way of telling you to take it easy. I wouldn’t bother as you have nothing to gain, i wouldn’t even class it as training as your body doesn’t need the extra stress on top of fighting an illness.
Quote Reply
Re: I'm sick, my race is tomorrow :-( [Tsunami] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Funny. I woke up today with a head cold (e.g., nasal congestion, swollen lymph nodes, mild fever). Almost DNSed the local sprint duathlon. Still went and warmed up. I didn't feel great but not on deaths door. Figured I should go for it. I'm glad I did. I won it. The local races aren't too competive. Two 19 min 5ks and a 24.5 mph 30k bike (np 250 watts) was all it took.

Note, your mileage may vary.
Quote Reply
Re: I'm sick, my race is tomorrow :-( [hetron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Note, your mileage may vary. "

Yeah, only way I win is if I'm the only female to finish. What are the odds of that two years* in a row.

*race wasn't held in 2017.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tsunami wrote:
mwanner13 wrote:
Do you want someone to hold your hand or pat you on the back? Suck it up and race like it’s your last!!!

Nope, no coddling. I really just wanted to whine. And to have the pressure in my head and crap in my throat go away. 1 out of 3 ain't bad, I guess.

That's why there's a Cry Like a Little Biatch thread. This belongs there.

Now, suck it up buttercup and go race your damn bike.
Quote Reply
Re: I'm sick, my race is tomorrow :-( [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Absolutely right.

At the time, the race seems like the most important thing. In one's "career" as an AG athlete, it is irrelevant.

BTW, I say this as a FOFOP athlete, so I have plenty of the A personality/drive. The challenge is turning that off, and turning on the "big brains" as was stated previously
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How'd it go? Glad you did it? Regret doing it? Other? Hope you're OK, btw!
Quote Reply
Re: I'm sick, my race is tomorrow :-( [STJ_2028] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I pulled the plug this morning while driving from hotel to venue, when it occurred to me, if this were work I'd have called out. I volunteered instead. I'm disappointed but it was the right call.

Lots of people had a hard go of it, with weather warmer than it has been and high humidity too. All I did was stand around and I lost my voice. Racing this one in my present state would have been a mistake.

Thx for your concern!

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ya, score one for the BIG BRAIN!!!!!!

And heat and humidity are the worse when you are sick, just adding to your bodies fever and making that brain just a bit smaller... Good call, you will be over it very soon, and thinking about what is next month...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you made absolutely the right choice. Take care, hope you're feeling better soon... there'll be other races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tsunami wrote:
I volunteered instead.

so you netted karma -- best wishes for the rest of the season.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A sensible decision well made.

Well done for going along and volunteering. A great gesture given you weren't feeling 100%. If only there were more competitors like you. Most, in your shoes, would have not gone near to the race! I'm sure the race director appreciated it.

Blog: http://www.coopstriblog.wordpress.com
Latest blog: Setting Goals. With or Without Gin.
Date: 10/31/2017
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I pulled the plug this morning while driving from hotel to venue, when it occurred to me, if this were work I'd have called out. I volunteered instead. I'm disappointed but it was the right call.

smart choice. good on ya for volunteering.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply

Prev Next