Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Nothing new on race day
Quote | Reply
We all know the rule. Nothing new on race day... I just picked up a new TT helmet, Giro A2 (which might have been the last new medium out there...) because quite frankly I’m fat and can’t justify spending money on an upgraded lid at my current fitness level. Now I’ve used an A2 for years, and it seems to work. But regardless I’m going to test ride it. Does anyone else do this? Do you feel like as much of a tool as I do on the streets in a TT helmet? Should I just say f’it and find the flattest Strava segment I can and make best of an awkward situation?

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: Nothing new on race day [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've never taken a helmet I've purchased for a test ride before a race. I've put it on in the bedroom and looked at it in the mirror to make sure I don't look like any more of a douche than I have to, and that it's comfortable and that's it.

I get the nothing new on race day advice, but really, what can go wrong with a helmt? Especially one where you've ridden the same model for years and you've tried it on inside before hand.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you feel like as much of a tool as I do on the streets in a TT helmet?
---

Dude, you were a tool long before you bought the helmet :-). So were the rest of us. If you want to test ride the helmet in your onesie, have at it, take pics, and enjoy yourself. If on the ridiculously odd circumstance that someone actually cares, ignore that jerk anyway.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Nothing new on race day [rock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rock wrote:
I've never taken a helmet I've purchased for a test ride before a race. I've put it on in the bedroom and looked at it in the mirror to make sure I don't look like any more of a douche than I have to, and that it's comfortable and that's it.

I get the nothing new on race day advice, but really, what can go wrong with a helmt? Especially one where you've ridden the same model for years and you've tried it on inside before hand.

Maybe at speed the ratchet system comes loose, or some pads expose a little more Velcro. Something pointy that’s a factory defect you didn’t see or feel looking in the mirror. The latter two a bigger deal for baldies.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I'd test it.
Since you've used the same model and size before you know it can fit right but do you know it's adjusted correctly so that it does. There's lots of other small things that could be a distraction on race day and it's an easy thing to simply wear the helmet for a ride and be sure.

While you can spend time examining the helmet and checking whether anything is different to your existing one, it's a much better solution to simply do a test ride. Who cares what it looks like?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a glasses wearer, some TT helmets interfere with the arms. I thought my Bell Javelin was the goldilocks helmet, but after 120km in the heat, my glasses were pushed into my head behind the ears so hard it caused swelling that took weeks to subside.

My new helmet, a MET Drone, has some sharp corners. I sure am glad I found out about them before race-day and could smooth them out a bit beforehand. Can't be nice to run your first IM with your ears in Vincent Van Gogh mode.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Test it out. Who cares what you look like and what other people think? 99% of the population already thinks you look like a tool on a TT bike regardless of what you are wearing, may as well try to capture that last 1% too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I've gone out in full race regalia to test everything out. Just a short ride before race day sometimes. And yes, I feel like a total douche doing so. Especially when a big group of roadies rolls by - I know exactly what they're thinking...and they're 100% right! But do I give a shit? Nope, I just laugh at myself and bask in the glory of not having to worry about my race setup.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride my TT helmet out for race effort rides and with race wheels just to get the feel for it all.
My TT helmet has a difference in noise and takes some getting used to.
Ride like no one's watching.... except cops, they might pull you over for running stop signs.

Ryan
http://www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com
http://www.TriathlonTrainingDaddy.com
I got plans - https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...dotcom#trainingplans
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:
rock wrote:

Maybe at speed the ratchet system comes loose, or some pads expose a little more Velcro. Something pointy that’s a factory defect you didn’t see or feel looking in the mirror. The latter two a bigger deal for baldies.

I found out the hard way many years ago what happens when you wear a pointy-tailed aero helmet while not wearing a shirt...and you look up. Pretty sure that looking in the mirror wouldn't have predicted that one. Luckily, this was on a practice ride.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My first TT helmet I had shipped to my hotel I was staying at for a race... tried it on, practiced getting it on and off. It wasn't that big of a deal... now mounting new tires, brakes, etc. the day before... those sorts of things have bitten me.

Most people think I'm a dork because I ride a bike, spandex adds to that and the helmet... already a dork so who cares. I occassionaly wear my TT helmet on training rides because I feel like it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:
We all know the rule. Nothing new on race day... I just picked up a new TT helmet, Giro A2 (which might have been the last new medium out there...) because quite frankly I’m fat and can’t justify spending money on an upgraded lid at my current fitness level. Now I’ve used an A2 for years, and it seems to work. But regardless I’m going to test ride it. Does anyone else do this? Do you feel like as much of a tool as I do on the streets in a TT helmet? Should I just say f’it and find the flattest Strava segment I can and make best of an awkward situation?

If people see you on the road in a TT helmet and think you are weird, this can only mean you are doing it wrong and not talking to your neighbors about triathlon enough. Every time you see them, you must tell them about an upcoming race or training session so that when they see you on the road in a TT helmet, it's expected. Hell, they should expect you to be wearing it when you stop over on Friday night beers.

I would take it for a spin.
Quote Reply
Re: Nothing new on race day [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xeon wrote:
My first TT helmet I had shipped to my hotel I was staying at for a race... tried it on, practiced getting it on and off. It wasn't that big of a deal....
It generally won't be an issue at all. But it could be and is simple to check, so why not.
If for some reason I wasn't able to test a new helmet before a big race, and I'd tried the type before, I might risk it. But I wouldn't take the chance if I didn't have to. It strikes me as pretty silly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While wearing an aero helmet day-in/day-out might be considered a tool move by some, doing a test ride to tune your race equipment is not.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply