Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Cutting the course for reasons other than trying to win the race. Is it still cheating? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I could care less about swag and brag. I don’t want that person out there jeopardizing my safety, others’ safety, and their own safety. There’s a reason the cutoffs are rules.
Quote Reply
Re: Cutting the course for reasons other than trying to win the race. Is it still cheating? [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
I could care less about swag and brag. I don’t want that person out there jeopardizing my safety, others’ safety, and their own safety. There’s a reason the cutoffs are rules.

how is someone cutting a loop off the swim jeopardizing anyone's safety?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Cutting the course for reasons other than trying to win the race. Is it still cheating? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
mwanner13 wrote:

how is someone cutting a loop off the swim jeopardizing anyone's safety?
I could actually see some sort of argument for making some sort of allowance for aborting part of the swim since it's the discipline where someone attempting a distance or pace they may not be able for may be endangering themselves.
People aren't always very sensible during a race. If someone knows they're in trouble part way through the swim, they may still continue when they should stop. I would be okay with a solution like that suggested earlier where the competitior waits at T1 until the cut-off time elapses before heading out on the bike. Obviously it would be a DQ. Perhaps take their number but leave them with the chip so that others will know they're no longer competing.
Quote Reply
Re: Cutting the course for reasons other than trying to win the race. Is it still cheating? [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree that people need to respect the distance and be race ready for 140.6 miles of racing before they start.

I've seen the same at a 70.3 last summer though. Watching the swim start from the beach, lovely flat sea, almost perfect swimming conditions: 1 guy swims out 30metres, turns around and swims back to the beach. Game over. Another guy i see being brought back in by a kayak after 200metres. I mean FFS - don't these people train at all?
Quote Reply
Re: Cutting the course for reasons other than trying to win the race. Is it still cheating? [RCCo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RCCo wrote:
I agree that people need to respect the distance and be race ready for 140.6 miles of racing before they start.

I've seen the same at a 70.3 last summer though. Watching the swim start from the beach, lovely flat sea, almost perfect swimming conditions: 1 guy swims out 30metres, turns around and swims back to the beach. Game over. Another guy i see being brought back in by a kayak after 200metres. I mean FFS - don't these people train at all?

One time I got some food poisoning the day before IM, speculative start to see if I could "jog it in", made it about 400m out, threw up in the water, got dragged back to shore clinging onto a jetski (to the wild applause from the peanut gallery!), RD offered me medical assistance etc and then very kindly arranged for a free entry to the next years race. Probably should have stayed in bed, but freaking great outcome with a free entry to the next years race.

Andy G
Quote Reply
Re: Cutting the course for reasons other than trying to win the race. Is it still cheating? [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
Cutoffs are there for many reasons... "safety" in regards to athletes doing what exactly? I worry more about mid packers honestly from experience.. but safety and events happen to everyone.

I work for a large race/event company and we let athletes continue and "finish" if they can't complete the swim or bike course for a number of reasons.

Safety can be an issue for anybody... that's a lot of peoples responsibility... the athlete first then the support... officers at intersections, volunteers, race staff, course design, etc.

We've had a race leader in an Oly on a hot/humid day with heatstroke like symptons we had to get a squad to stat. Ran off course screaming like a lion was chasing him with a thousand yard stare... scary. Had the race leader on the bike adjust his front brake and mangle his hand, remove a few spokes. He did not finish the event... but stuff happens to people all over the spectrum of racers. People we pull off the course for not hitting cut offs for the most part are physically okay, they're just not "fast", tettering on dehydration, etc.

I digress, they (meaning people that don't do the whole course on purpose because they can't for whatever reason) are subject to cutoff times and are DQ'd from the event but get splits, can run down the finisher chute, get a medal, enjoy athlete food/drink, etc. People are in this sport for many reasons.. compete, have fun, prove something to themselves, supported training day... if they pay their money I'm going to do all I can to help them along the way.

People cutting the course to win or better their position is a whole other subject... I'm definitely not supportive of that.
Quote Reply

Prev Next