Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IMSR super duper quick review
Quote | Reply
I am going to write up a full report once they unfuck the official results times.

Pre-race - got there on thursday, pre-rode the part of the course that was in Santa Rosa proper, almost got killed twice by the pavement and the drivers, dropped off my gear the next day, eat, sleep. Got to the T1 at 5am.

Swim - beautiful lake, the water was about 68, was almost too warm for a full sleeve wetsuit. During the second loop someone grabbed my ankle and almost pulled the timing chip out. Had to stop and tuck it under the ankle sleeve.

Bike - the roads were in bad condition. I was running the 808s with 25mm tires/latex tubes at 85psi and I had my ass absolutely handed to me. After mile 40 or so I had to stop at every water station just to get a 30 second break from riding. Bottles ejected twice. One spot at around mile 43.5 was stupidly dangerous. There was another spot a few miles further where there was a giant lip in the road which I could not see ahead - it was a near miss because of the upcoming car. The roads, the dry heat and the wind after mile 80 eventually got me and I was not really racing the last 30 miles.

Run - I was thinking about turning the chip in and calling it a day since I was 80 spots back. The run course is pretty nice for most part, lots of shade, but boring. Great support from the volunteers, kudos to them, although the aid stations were kind of oddly spaced out. Jogged the run, walked most water stations after mile 12, used porta potties a couple of times. The distance signs on the 3rd loop were completely off after mile 18.

Result - 11:20, 42nd in the m45-49.

Post-race - got back to my host's house, ate a beautiful sushi dinner, had 2 beers and fell asleep.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Last edited by: alex_korr: May 14, 18 10:56
Quote Reply
Re: IMSR super duper quick review [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 on the bumpy roads, but having raced there several times over the years, I'd say it's still the best surface conditions I've experienced. Not sure how it was for others, I was pleasantly surprised with folks riding clean for the most part. Only spotted 3-4 people riding too close to someone in front, but no one completely blatant; definitely refreshing after last year's IMAZ (why do people not mention that race is a mostly a group ride???)

Shoutout to Kevin Coady - saw him dropping chain and fiddling with his bike at least twice, but he still crushed it.
Quote Reply
Re: IMSR super duper quick review [friskyDingo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
11:25 40-44 and my only goal for the day was to stay under 12 hours. This was my 6th and I was in it for fun/cruise mode. I was not able to train more then 10 hours a week so lets just go out and have a good time.

PreRace: super chill. Town not crazy, I live 2 hours away. Drove in the night before. It was great.

Swim: temp was fine, though I swam pretty slow (but thats on me). Swim was choppy from swimmers but overall went fine.
The 2 loop rolling start thing though not that great as I went out well and fast and then swam through everyone slow as they were just starting as I went for lap 2. So that still needs some work. But whatever. Big long boat ramp, no biggey.

Bike: fast. 808's and while I was not in shape to push it on the bike, wow I felt look you could really wind it up on those rolling but flat ish course. Tail winds helped and super pretty course, loved the slight roller and occasional climbs, nothing scary and I live in a flat spot. Yes head wind for some sections. Awesome....until it wasn't... and then my back really cramped I suspect from the choppy roads. If they could just pave some rough sections this bike was quick and a blast.

Run: I enjoyed the shade, I liked 3 loops as I have about 1 brain cell working this late in the race so to not think 26.2 but only 3 loops really helps me. The shade was everything as I hate the old IM Canada course as you are so far out and just cooking in the sun. I missed the HOT Shots but thanks to Base salt for keeping me from cramping.

Finish line: great and extra props to the food vendors for giving me and my hungry kids some food, takes the pressure when the family can grab a slice. My wife even said, wow that was easy (logistically), so you going again next year? (meaning free hall pass...that should say something). Not great its on mothers day weekend but glad its early so its not super hot.

Love how approachable to venue and location is. Thanks for listening.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, friskyDingo!

I was dropping my chain all day long (maybe about 10x). Crazy frustrating, but who knows, maybe all the rest breaks helped save my legs for the run.

How did your day go?

Alex: Sorry to hear about the bad experience. I'm lucky that we have a place near the course so I'm used to the road conditions from riding here almost every weekend and it doesn't feel bad to me. I had a 25 on the back and was running 80 psi, which i think absorbed almost all the road vibration. But if I was used to riding smooth roads all the time, I could see how it could be a bit of a shock to get used to it.

Coach of TriForce Triathlon Team

Quote Reply
Re: IMSR super duper quick review [kevincoady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kevincoady wrote:

Alex: Sorry to hear about the bad experience. I'm lucky that we have a place near the course so I'm used to the road conditions from riding here almost every weekend and it doesn't feel bad to me. I had a 25 on the back and was running 80 psi, which i think absorbed almost all the road vibration. But if I was used to riding smooth roads all the time, I could see how it could be a bit of a shock to get used to it.

That's the thing - I am used to riding in Los Angeles/SoCal and the roads here can be quite bad too... but nowhere near the 128/Mark West Station rd bad. I was afraid to go to lower than 85psi, but maybe I should have. I did the half last year and was running 90 psi on the 23s and it was rough but not terrible... go figure.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in for next year...when can we sign up?
Quote Reply
Re: IMSR super duper quick review [kevincoady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can imagine how annoying it must have been, but way to push through it and finish on the podium!

My day was as close to a perfect race as I could ever hope. Was able to push the bike and then not fade too much on the run, PR'd everything except the swim and finally, the all elusive KQ.

I knew who you were as I remembered your name from destroying everyone at Napa HITS last year:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the killer race and KQ! Maybe that's why we didn't think the roads were too bad... compared to the awful roads at HITS Napa they are like glass ;)

If you see me at Kona (or before), say hi!

Coach of TriForce Triathlon Team

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Full review - https://www.unelitetri.com/...rosa-2018-recap.html

Quote Reply