Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Speed sensor for trainer
Quote | Reply
Ok, in the process of turning my dumb trainer into a Smart trainer. Trying to look for the cheapest and most ambidextrous method to do so. The Garmin speed sensor is cheap($35), and pairs with my Garmin devices probably more cleanly than none Garmin products, but will I be able to log into softwares such as trainerroad and zwift? I do have a Vivoactive HR that broadcast BLE.

Another option for $58 is either a Wahoo speed sensor, or for $67 a Misuro B+. They both broadcast dual band so I would guess it's much easier to get into online training softwares.

Also, how are the VERY cheap speed sensors out there on Amazon? They have mixed reviews so I'm unsure about that. Even for a measly $16...

Also, I know it's a busy thread already, and it's been done to death. But recommend a software? Looking for consistency and cheap. Removing trainer boredom is nice, but because of family life I'm now doing about 40-50% of my riding indoors and want to track my personal progress.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Last edited by: Jloewe: May 13, 18 15:42
Quote Reply
Re: Speed sensor for trainer [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would only consider Wahoo or Garmin. Get Garmin unless you need Bluetooth.

What trainer do you have? Many have free software that can be pretty good. Kirt Kinetic is free and good. Otherwise, it is a price shootout between Zwift, TrainerRoad, Sufferfest, and a few others.
Quote Reply
Re: Speed sensor for trainer [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
I would only consider Wahoo or Garmin. Get Garmin unless you need Bluetooth.

What trainer do you have? Many have free software that can be pretty good. Kirt Kinetic is free and good. Otherwise, it is a price shootout between Zwift, TrainerRoad, Sufferfest, and a few others.

Nashbar Fluid trainer. Which from what I understand is the same as an Elite trainer. It's supported by all the other guys. Don't know about Kirt Kinetic.

Quote Reply
Re: Speed sensor for trainer [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zwift won't read the Garmin ant+ speed sensor if you're using an IOS device (iPad or iPhone) ... unless they've changed since I started using it over a year ago. You'll need an ant+ Bluetooth bridge like the Viiiva HRM...that's what I have...works great.

Or you can just get the Wahoo speed sensor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wahoo Blue and Trainer Road works great for me. Simple, effective training.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just ordered cycplus cadence and speed sensors at ~$13 each from Amazon. They broadcast ant+ and Bluetooth

I plan on putting them on a beater bike / trainer I keep at the office.

I figure if they work at all they will be fine.
Quote Reply
Re: Speed sensor for trainer [SBRinSD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRinSD wrote:
I just ordered cycplus cadence and speed sensors at ~$13 each from Amazon. They broadcast ant+ and Bluetooth

I plan on putting them on a beater bike / trainer I keep at the office.

I figure if they work at all they will be fine.

Give an update how it works. I’d love to save the money but if it doesn’t work I’d hate to spend $16 PLUS the money for the Wahoo or Garmin. I firmly believe in two aspects of tri. One, the sport is expensive enough save money where you can. Two, buy once cry once. Unfortunately they often come at odds with each other.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:
Nashbar Fluid trainer. Which from what I understand is the same as an Elite trainer.
Elite has an app for their trainer, though their website says 1 month free access. Maybe they have an everyday version that you can always use for free, less the structured programs. That might be great. Otherwise, you will probably have to subscribe to one of the major training programs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will do. I have the cadence sensor already and can hook it up when I ride tomorrow and compare it to the cadence I get from my PM.

Not sure when the speed sensor will arrive. I could have spent $10 and got it from a prime vendor, but like you wanted to keep my spend down.

I will provide an update on both.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Caden’ce sensor works fine. Maybe a <1 sec delay compared to my PM. Could also be watch vs bike computer too. Either way, plenty accurate for cadence.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks! Keep posted on the speed sensor too. If I could get that together for cheap that would be canned awesomeness!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Used the speed sensor today.

Garmin speed sensor and Garmin edge 820 head unit.

Cycolus speed sensor and Garmin Fenix 3HR watch.

I lost 0.25 miles in the first 4 miles on my watch.

I removed my watch and placed it on the desk in front of my bike and it tracked well for the remaining 1:15:00 minutes of my ride.

Not uncommon to have issues with the Fenix 3 with sensor connectivity.

For $13 I am very happy with it. It also comes with an extra battery and O ring.

Note: I ordered on amazon from China. If I were to have ordered it from a prime vendor it would have cost closer to $30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you tested if the virtual power from the speed sensor is close to your PM?
Quote Reply
Re: Speed sensor for trainer [formula bike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve never done virtual power. I’m on the KK. If you can tell me what to do, then I’m happy to test it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the Garmin speed and cadence sensor with zwift and Zpower for the KK road machine.

At the same time, I use trainerroad with the KK inride PM on the road machine.

I am using trainerroad with a PM and zwift with virtual power and running both programs at the same time - since the speed/cadence is ant and the inride is bluetooth :)

Zwift is always 20 watts lower than the indride (PM)/trainerroad data. So that could be your answer to how "off" virtual power is. But, if you are going to use Zwift for structured workouts, then you can use the watts/ftp as the buide for your zones in Zwift. That is what I did for 4 weeks and got really fast on my bike outside. Went from an average outside speed of 18mph to 21-22mph.
Quote Reply