Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

24/7 shift workers that have moved to 9-5 hours
Quote | Reply
Hi,
I have worked 24/7 shifts for 21 years and, at the age of 45, am considering looking for a job that is 9-5 mon-Fri as I think I'm done with shift work. Speaking to a lot of colleagues that have stopped working shifts, they all report a big improvement, but none of them are triathletes. I was hoping there might be some folks on this forum that have transitioned from 24/7 to 9-5 and can let me if it was an improvement or not. I know some people like shift work, but I can't help but think that getting a regular 8hrs sleep at the same time every night would be a big boost for recovery compared to broken sleep which is all over the place.

Many Thanks,

Tubs
Quote Reply
Re: 24/7 shift workers that have moved to 9-5 hours [Tubs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am in medicine. I also train hard for triathlons, between 13-15 hours per week normally. However, I train about 5 hours during the weeks that I am on call. I can't handle anymore without getting sick. Getting woken up at random times is horrible for recovery. Also, changing your sleep cycle is bad for recovery. You will feel much better and be able train much harder, I can assure you.
Quote Reply
Re: 24/7 shift workers that have moved to 9-5 hours [Thebigturtle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You’ll find shift work gave you better availability to empty pools, quieter roads, quieter gyms (if that’s your thing), easier access to health and massage practitioners and more “free time” if you have kids or a partner who’s a 9-5er.

I was training 20 hours week before moving to 9-5, things dropped off after that as time commitments shifted.

But sleep is a big thing - solid regular hours will help with your energy levels and recovery. Expect the change to take less than a week... it’ll be a marked difference.
Quote Reply