Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Foolish to buy high end rim brake wheels
Quote | Reply
With the sales going more and more to disc brakes is it now foolish to spend so much on rim brake wheels?

Im really torn to spend the money or not as my next tri bike option may be disc

Yellowfin Endurance Coaching and Bike Fits
USAT Level 1, USAC Level 3
Quote Reply
Re: Foolish to buy high end rim brake wheels [surfNJmatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
how long are you going to keep your current ride? Do you need new wheels now, or is it a "I might gain 0.05 watts at 17.5 degrees yaw if I run these new wheels with a 25c continental supercorsa EXP and latex nanocarbon tubes...."

High end rim brake bikes are going to be around for quite a while yet.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: May 11, 18 10:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
surfNJmatt wrote:
With the sales going more and more to disc brakes is it now foolish to spend so much on rim brake wheels?

At this point, if you are considering getting a disc brake tri bike, then rent wheels and hold off. We should have more bikes next year. If you buy rim brake wheels and resale them, you are going to lose money.

I'm anticipating my next bike being a disc brake tri bike so I am holding off buying wheels. I sold my 808/Super 9 in 2017 and have been renting wheels until I get a new bike.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It all depends.

I have gone to disc brakes on my road racing bike and I love it. I know of no circumstances where disc brakes aren't clearly superior on a road bike -- especially in inclement weather or on long, steep, technical descents.

But . . . I just bought a new Tri/TT bike and I made the conscious decision to stay with rim brakes. Why? Disc brakes, for the most part, only matter (1) on steep, fast, screaming descents, and (2) in serious monsoon / mud / bad stuff. I've never had either of these two circumstances on a Tri/TT bike. And disc brakes (so far) are a little less aero than rim brakes. So, for me, the cost/benefit analysis tipped in favor of rim brakes on the Tri/TT bike.

Are you sold on purchasing a Tri/TT bike with disc brakes? If you are, you've likely already answered your question.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since wheels seem expensive to you (they are to me too), I would just advise staying away from brand new carbon clinchers. They don't retain their MSRP value well because the warranty doesn't transfer to the new owner and the perceived risk of failures at the brake track. They are also more expensive, so even if they did retain the same percentage of value in relation to MSRP as compared to aluminum brake track race wheels, your net cost after you sell them is higher.

Look for a used set of HED Jets or Flos. You can probably find them for around $700-800 pretty easily and won't lose too much value in the next 2-3 years even if all the brand new bikes moves to disc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
surfNJmatt wrote:

Just look at all the teams at the Giro using those old fashioned rim brakes: they clearly don't know what they're doing.

And as for all the best time triallists just think how much quicker they would be with those lovely disc brakes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
surfNJmatt wrote:

i asked tom a. that very same question. he said, "whatever else you do, invest in disc brake technology; that is the future."

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Foolish to buy high end rim brake wheels [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
surfNJmatt wrote:

i asked tom a. that very same question. he said, "whatever else you do, invest in disc brake technology; that is the future."

He finally gave up?

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Foolish to buy high end rim brake wheels [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Slowman wrote:
surfNJmatt wrote:

He finally gave up?

i had to hold him down and give him a nipple twist.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
surfNJmatt wrote:

I probably wouldn't go out and buy high-end carbon wheels like say $3700 Enves. Regardless of discs high-end carbon wheels don't hold their value. With that being said you could buy a set of HED JET 6+ currently $1099. Use them for a season or 2 and and then unload them. Or just look for some used wheels in the meantime. Might take a couple of hundred dollar hit but heck that is renting wheels once.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Last edited by: Thomas Gerlach: May 11, 18 16:50
Quote Reply
Re: Foolish to buy high end rim brake wheels [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
BryanD wrote:
Slowman wrote:
surfNJmatt wrote:

He finally gave up?

i had to hold him down and give him a nipple twist.

Sniff, sniff... I smell a harassment suit in your future ;-))
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Discs are the future. Heard from many reputable sources Giant and Specialized are only selling disc bikes for 2019 and have stopped making them for the year already. I imagine the other big companies won’t be far behind. Supposedly a new Shiv will drop at TdF so we will see if that is true and if it’s disc only.
Quote Reply