Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best tubes for clydesdales
Quote | Reply
Any reason to think that latex tubes might not be ok for us bigger guys? I know they bleed air faster than butyl. I ride 88mm carbon clinchers and am considering switching to latex tubes for IMLP. Input appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Best tubes for clydesdales [cmd111183] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What size tires? I'm looking at using them also, I'm about 195.
Quote Reply
Re: Best tubes for clydesdales [Denizen of Deep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm running 25mm tires currently. I'm more in the 230 range. Read on Gerlach's blog (from someone commenting on his post) that carbon clinchers can heat and cause latex to fail. I guess it's the carbon rim/carbon brake pad issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 220 and have ridden latex tubes at weights up to 250 lbs. No problems whatsoever. I have run 23mm -28mm and use the same pressures i would with butyl. I use vittoria but only because that's what I can get easily and at the right price. This have always been on aluminum rims though (HED Jet 6+), no experience with carbon clinchers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Heat up of rims should NOT be a problem, IF
- you are using brake pads designed to be used with your specific rims
- you know how to brake properly, ie “feathering”.
- sit UP. Yes, this will create drag, but if you are trying to slowdown drag is a good thing- and this drag does not create rim heating!

The pad/rim compatibility is super important, and should not be taken for granted. There are significant variances between rims on the composite and lay up of the carbon. All proper carbon rim fabricators test brake compounds to determine what works best on their rim. If your rim fabricator does not have this info- don’t trust the rim! (Even with butyl tubes)
Quote Reply